Which Firewall - new HP Pavilion+Vista Home Premium+Norton.

Rick Rogers

Re: Which Firewall - new HP Pavilion+Vista Home Premium+Norton.
Hi Donny,

As long as you have one running, it shouldn't matter which. I think you
might find that the native firewall is less intrusive, but try them both to
see what works for you.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 12:40:42 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi Donny,
>
>As long as you have one running, it shouldn't matter which. I think you
>might find that the native firewall is less intrusive, but try them both to
>see what works for you.

DUH! Windows Defender is already running, performing scans late at
night, and works fine! I didn't even know it until I checked.

Thanx!

Donny
Robert Moir

> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 12:40:42 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Donny,
>>
>>As long as you have one running, it shouldn't matter which. I think you
>>might find that the native firewall is less intrusive, but try them both
>>see what works for you.

> DUH! Windows Defender is already running, performing scans late at
> night, and works fine! I didn't even know it until I checked.

Minor point. Defender is an antispyware program, not a firewall.

Windows' firewall component is something seperate again, but this will also
be running by default.

I'm not a fan of Defender but it's a "good enough" spyware program, I guess.
I think there are better ones to be had, but it's adequate and obviously is
part of the cost of Windows and is already installed and running. I'd
suggest leaving it in place unless you yourself have reason to become
unhappy with it.

The Windows built-in firewall is also a perfectly adequate 'software
firewall'. Again, I'm fussy and feel that this whole class of products has
some inherent weaknesses, but in terms of protecting you against external
threats it is every bit as good as every other software firewall out there,
and again it's free.

Some software firewall products seem to feel the need to jump up and down
and tell you about how good they are, don't make the mistake that some do,
and believe a program that loves to talk about itself and its deeds is
actually any better than something that is happy to do the same job quietly
without needing to bother you every 10 minutes to pat it on the head.

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

=?Utf-8?B?Q0I=?=

RE: Which Firewall - new HP Pavilion+Vista Home Premium+Norton.
Your modem undoubtably has a hardware firewall incorporated into it. Your
Windows firewall is a software firewall. Your modem vendor will tell you that
their hardware firewall is sufficient but it is not. I don't necessarily put
full trust into the Windows firewall either. I think ZoneAlarm has the best
firewall in the business but that is neither here nor there. I am using the
Beta edition at this time until they come out with a fully functional version
for Vista. I have used Norton Internet Security Suite 2007 and Norton 360 on
my Vista Ultimate 32 bit with no problems, although I didn't completely trust
either of their firewalls. You are asking for conflicts if you run Windows
Defender at the same time as Norton. In any event, Norton's firewall is much
better than Vista's firewall or your modem's firewall. You should not run
more than one firewall at the same time or you are asking for more conflicts.
Check your Security Center and make sure only one software firewall is
running. You can disable Windows Defender within Windows Defender itself or
you can go to Task Manager. There is no need to uninstall Windows Defender.
Besides, you cannot as it is now part of the OS in Vista. If you use Process
Explorer you can also disable it in that application as well.

"Donny" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Brand new HP desktop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
>
> Came with a year and a half of Norton, which I'm updating and using
> for anti-virus.
>
> We have a new wired, (NOT wireless), gateway modem/router from Verizon
> DSL for multiple computers in the house.
>
> Wondering which Firewall, if any, should I be using, and why.
>
> I'm leaning towards the Windows Defender that came with it, just
> because it won't run out like the Norton.
>
> Primary need for me is ease of use, without sacrificing security.
>
> Thoughts, advice, comments welcome, and thanx.
>
> Donny

Donny

Re: Which Firewall - new HP Pavilion+Vista Home Premium+Norton.
All this is EXCELLENT advice, and I appreciate it.

Right now I have Norton's full suite up and running, same for Defender
and the Windows Firewall, with no conflicts. Speeds seem lightning
fast, and everything works.

I think I'll leave it all in place for a while, and do some homework
based on this great advice. When things start to run out, I will
deside what's best.

Thanks again!

Donny

=?Utf-8?B?Q0I=?=