An old leftover MSXML4 folder and file cannot be deleted?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

An old leftover MSXML4 folder and file cannot be deleted?
I have an old MSXML4 file left over form my last XP install on my storage
drive , apparently every time I install the MSXML update (in either XP or
Vista) it makes one of these files on my largest storage drive because after
removing XP and installing Vista I now have 2 folders and 2 files , Vista
will NOT let me remove the old one.

Is there ANY way besides formatting the drive to remove this folder?
Rock

Re: An old leftover MSXML4 folder and file cannot be deleted?
"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I have an old MSXML4 file left over form my last XP install on my storage
> drive , apparently every time I install the MSXML update (in either XP or
> Vista) it makes one of these files on my largest storage drive because
> after
> removing XP and installing Vista I now have 2 folders and 2 files , Vista
> will NOT let me remove the old one.
>
> Is there ANY way besides formatting the drive to remove this folder?

Sure is. Take ownership of the folder and files, then give your acount the
appropriate permissions and delete it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Re: An old leftover MSXML4 folder and file cannot be deleted?
I tried giving my PC full ownership and when I click apply it says "Access
Denied" And where it says the drive my PC inherited the folder from it says
"Not inherited" , I don't know if I am doing this right or not but every time
I try to give my self full ownership it says Access Denied.

thanks for any further help.

"Rock" wrote:

> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > I have an old MSXML4 file left over form my last XP install on my storage
> > drive , apparently every time I install the MSXML update (in either XP or
> > Vista) it makes one of these files on my largest storage drive because
> > after
> > removing XP and installing Vista I now have 2 folders and 2 files , Vista
> > will NOT let me remove the old one.
> >
> > Is there ANY way besides formatting the drive to remove this folder?

> Sure is. Take ownership of the folder and files, then give your acount the
> appropriate permissions and delete it.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Re: An old leftover MSXML4 folder and file cannot be deleted?
THANK YOU ROCK!! Actually Rock I had to go into the folder and change the
ownership of the file itself and it now works , I thought I could get away
with just doing the whole folder but I was wrong.

Drive is clean and tight again!! Thanks!!

"Rob" wrote:

> I tried giving my PC full ownership and when I click apply it says "Access
> Denied" And where it says the drive my PC inherited the folder from it says
> "Not inherited" , I don't know if I am doing this right or not but every time
> I try to give my self full ownership it says Access Denied.
>
> thanks for any further help.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
> > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > > I have an old MSXML4 file left over form my last XP install on my storage
> > > drive , apparently every time I install the MSXML update (in either XP or
> > > Vista) it makes one of these files on my largest storage drive because
> > > after
> > > removing XP and installing Vista I now have 2 folders and 2 files , Vista
> > > will NOT let me remove the old one.
> > >
> > > Is there ANY way besides formatting the drive to remove this folder?

> > Sure is. Take ownership of the folder and files, then give your acount the
> > appropriate permissions and delete it.
> >
> > --
> > Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: An old leftover MSXML4 folder and file cannot be deleted?

You're welcome. I'm not sure why you couldn't do it on the folder. Glad
you got it taken care of.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]