How to increase the File System Caching Memory?

totalz

How to increase the File System Caching Memory?

I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. So I would like
to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to
extend hdd life.

From the software "Vista Manager", I see the option to set the exact
size for file system cache. As this software seems very buggy, so I'm
would like to do that manually.

|Filename: fileSysCache.png |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=8741 |

totalz
MilesAhead

Re: How to increase the File System Caching Memory?

totalz;915591 Wrote:
> I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. So I would like
> to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to
> extend hdd life.
>
> From the software "Vista Manager", I see the option to set the exact
> size for file system cache. As this software seems very buggy, so I'm
> would like to do that manually.

This is the only method I'm aware of:

at an admin command prompt enter:

fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
totalz

MilesAhead;916293 Wrote:
> > totalz;915591 Wrote:
> > I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. So I would like
> > to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to
> > extend hdd life.
> >
> > From the software "Vista Manager", I see the option to set the exact
> > size for file system cache. As this software seems very buggy, so I'm
> > would like to do that manually.> >

> This is the only method I'm aware of:
>
> at an admin command prompt enter:
>
> fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2

Oh, already knew this one, and this one is only for NTFSMemUsage. I
want one for the whole file system.

totalz;916362 Wrote:
> > > I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. So I would like
> > > to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to
> > > extend hdd life.
> > >
> > > From the software "Vista Manager", I see the option to set the exact
> > > size for file system cache. As this software seems very buggy, so I'm
> > > would like to do that manually.> > > >

> > This is the only method I'm aware of:
> >
> > at an admin command prompt enter:
> >
> > fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2> >

> Oh, already knew this one, and it is only for NTFSMemUsage. I want
> one for the whole file system.

Then you'll probably have to buy a disk caching software. Try google.

totalz;916362 Wrote:
> > > I have 6GB of ram, and Vista hardly utilize most of it. So I would like
> > > to increase the file system cache to delay consecutive disk writes to
> > > extend hdd life.
> > >
> > > From the software "Vista Manager", I see the option to set the exact
> > > size for file system cache. As this software seems very buggy, so I'm
> > > would like to do that manually.> > > >

> > This is the only method I'm aware of:
> >
> > at an admin command prompt enter:
> >
> > fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2> >

> Oh, already knew this one, and it is only for NTFSMemUsage. I want
> one for the whole file system.

I did run across this other registry setting. On my XP machine with
only 1 GB ram it didn't help but on my Vista machine with 2 GB it seemed
to keep the Minimum Benchmark in HDTune from dropping down to single
digits as it usually does. So
you can try it out. 'How to increase the cache'
(http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-578-...your-hard-disk)