Stopped Services making laptop unusable

George

Stopped Services making laptop unusable
Hello,
I accidentally turned by computer off during a Vista update (when it says Do
NOT turn your computer off). Now, only about half the services start,
Explorer won't run, Live One Care won't start (I get a window saying it
cannot start) and I can't open Control Panel . I tried a System Restore but
the same problems persist. At this point I just want to get all my data off
and reinstall Windows but I can't connect a back up or run any installation
software for backups.
Has anyone got any ideas on how I can repair windows outside of a system
restore??
It's Vista Business with SP1 (not sure what the update in question was but
SP1 installed fine previously)
Thanks in advance
Kotuku

Re: Stopped Services making laptop unusable
George wrote:
> Hello,
> I accidentally turned by computer off during a Vista update (when it says Do
> NOT turn your computer off). Now, only about half the services start,
> Explorer won't run, Live One Care won't start (I get a window saying it
> cannot start) and I can't open Control Panel . I tried a System Restore but
> the same problems persist. At this point I just want to get all my data off
> and reinstall Windows but I can't connect a back up or run any installation
> software for backups.
> Has anyone got any ideas on how I can repair windows outside of a system
> restore??
> It's Vista Business with SP1 (not sure what the update in question was but
> SP1 installed fine previously)
> Thanks in advance

Can't you use one of the Restore Points. There would have been one made
right before the installation of the Update.

Frenchy
Robert

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I accidentally turned by computer off during a Vista update (when it says
> Do
> NOT turn your computer off). Now, only about half the services start,
> Explorer won't run, Live One Care won't start (I get a window saying it
> cannot start) and I can't open Control Panel . I tried a System Restore
> but
> the same problems persist. At this point I just want to get all my data
> off
> and reinstall Windows but I can't connect a back up or run any
> installation
> software for backups.
> Has anyone got any ideas on how I can repair windows outside of a system
> restore??
> It's Vista Business with SP1 (not sure what the update in question was but
> SP1 installed fine previously)
> Thanks in advance

Have you tried booting in safe mode, with bare minimum services running ,
then just copy your files and folders?
The service for back-up is probably corrupt?
In any case I would do a clean install. Hope this helps. Rob

Mick Murphy

RE: Stopped Services making laptop unusable
If you can not fix it by a System restore, try sfc /scannow

If nothing works, buy a USB flash Drive, boot into Safe Mode a tStartup by
tapping F8 for the list of options, then right-click on your Data> Send To FD
--
Mad Mike