How to turn off auto-restart after a windows update and how to cross post in vista mail?

Pete

How to turn off auto-restart after a windows update and how to cross post in vista mail?
HI:

Not to put the cart before the horse, but I want to cross post this plea for
help to several news groups. I could not figure out how to do this task
that was simple in OLE in Vista mail. If anyone knows please tell me in
your reply.

The problem is that I run many long calculations, maybe even a week on a
Vista 64 box. I have already disabled windoze updates, but occasionally I
forget and may manually install an update while a job is running in the
background. After the update, the system must reboot, I never figured out
why MS is not clever enough to avoid this problem the way Unix systems do.
If there is no activity, the system reboots automatically and erases many
hours of computation.

How can I configure the auto-restart:
1. Never to restart the computer
2. Only restart when directed

In xp there was a registry edit that would prevent the auto restart from
Home registery, NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers.

Any help would be appreciated to remove this annoyance.

TIA and Happy Holidaze,

Pete

Robert

Re: How to turn off auto-restart after a windows update and how to cross post in vista mail?

"Pete" <peter.harrington@ohio.edu> wrote in message
> HI:
>
> Not to put the cart before the horse, but I want to cross post this plea
> for help to several news groups. I could not figure out how to do this
> task that was simple in OLE in Vista mail. If anyone knows please tell me
> in your reply.
>
> The problem is that I run many long calculations, maybe even a week on a
> Vista 64 box. I have already disabled windoze updates, but occasionally I
> forget and may manually install an update while a job is running in the
> background. After the update, the system must reboot, I never figured out
> why MS is not clever enough to avoid this problem the way Unix systems do.
> If there is no activity, the system reboots automatically and erases many
> hours of computation.
>
> How can I configure the auto-restart:
> 1. Never to restart the computer
> 2. Only restart when directed
>
> In xp there was a registry edit that would prevent the auto restart from
> Home registery, NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers.
>
> Any help would be appreciated to remove this annoyance.
>
> TIA and Happy Holidaze,
>
> Pete

Is it not in set-up updates? A spot there where it asks to download updates,
and another , to download up-dates but not install them with out your
permission? So the up-date's would be turned on to download them but not
install them until you ok it?