Moving from folder to folder slow

jd31068

Moving from folder to folder slow

Hello All

I've been reading a bunch of posts here about this problem.
It takes a few seconds to move from one folder to another when I am
logged in as myself. However, if I login as Admin, the movement from
folder to folder is instant, no pause at all.

This was an inplace upgrade from XP Professional SP3.

My system:
Vista Ultimate
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.66
MEM: 2gb DDR2 800mhz (soon to be 4bg 1066)
VID: nVidia GTX 260 896mb RAM
SATA HDs with the advanced performance settings turned on.

My user is an ADMIN of course, any good apps to capture loaded
processes in for each user to campare them?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jon

--
jd31068
Mark H

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow
Do you have SP1 installed?

"jd31068" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello All
>
> I've been reading a bunch of posts here about this problem.
> It takes a few seconds to move from one folder to another when I am
> logged in as myself. However, if I login as Admin, the movement from
> folder to folder is instant, no pause at all.
>
> This was an inplace upgrade from XP Professional SP3.
>
> My system:
> Vista Ultimate
> CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.66
> MEM: 2gb DDR2 800mhz (soon to be 4bg 1066)
> VID: nVidia GTX 260 896mb RAM
> SATA HDs with the advanced performance settings turned on.
>
> My user is an ADMIN of course, any good apps to capture loaded
> processes in for each user to campare them?
>
> Any help would be great
>
> Thanks
> Jon
>

> --
> jd31068

jd31068

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow

Yes, about Windows shows: Build 6001: Service Pack 1
Should have included that in my post, sorry.

Also, my windows experience is 5.5 with the following scores:
processor: 5.5
ram : 5.9
graphics: 5.9
gaming graphins: 5.9
primary HD: 5.9

I'm getting a Core 2 Quad 2.83 next month, can't wait.

Checking Indexing, its on C excluding program files;programdata;default
and windows.

This pause happens on any HD I access while logged in with my own
account.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Jon

--
jd31068
Mark H

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow
SP1 addressed this specific issue, which is why I asked.
Which folders could also be important as protected or encrypted folders may
act differently in user accounts than in an admin account.
Good luck.

> Yes, about Windows shows: Build 6001: Service Pack 1
> Should have included that in my post, sorry.
>
> Also, my windows experience is 5.5 with the following scores:
> processor: 5.5
> ram : 5.9
> graphics: 5.9
> gaming graphins: 5.9
> primary HD: 5.9
>
> I'm getting a Core 2 Quad 2.83 next month, can't wait.
>
> Checking Indexing, its on C excluding program files;programdata;default
> and windows.
>
> This pause happens on any HD I access while logged in with my own
> account.
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
> Jon
>

> --
> jd31068

jd31068

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow

I will create a new account and see what happens. I just may have to
make a new one all together and bring all my settings over. That will
be a pain, but worth it.

--
jd31068
jd31068

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow

Alright, I created a standard account. Then I didn't log out of my
account. I just switched users. Logged in as the new standard account.
Once it gave me the desktop I opened "Computer" and moved around the
hard disks. Each movement from one folder to another was instant,
absolutely no pause at all.

Could it be because my user account was an XP user account previously?

Now that I see how it -should- work. It feels even slower <grin>
Any idea at all will be greatly appreciated.

--
jd31068
jd31068

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow

Alright, some new information.

I created a new admin account for me to use.
I then used the Windows Easy Transfer utility to copy all the settings
and files associated with my current user to a file on my hard drive.'

Then I restarted the Easy transfer program and told it to take those
files and settings and copy them to the new user I had created.

When I created the user and tried it. The HD browsing was instant.
Once all the settings were applied to the user, it was exactly like my
current user. There is a pause of a few seconds (where just a white
screen is in the browser window).

There has to be some setting someplace that is causing Vista to read
slowly.

Anyone have an idea of what it may be?

I imagine the only other thing I can do would be to create a new
account and manually setup all my applications under this new
username.

Would be fantastic if I didn't have to do that though

--
jd31068
jd31068

Re: Moving from folder to folder slow

Well after waiting and searching for a solution. I just went ahead and
created a new user and manually setup my applications again. Its WELL
worth it. EVERYTHING is much faster, browsing folders is instant as
well.

--
jd31068