Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse

captfbgnet

Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
All worked well until I upgraded to the 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and latest
nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other than a quick
message about hibernation not working or something similar). All power
option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings checked and
rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia software since
initial install and also tried a second DVI port on the card. No help.

The monitor error box stays on at the initial 'sleep stage' saying "no power
connection. check for loose cables, etc." If I immediately cut the power off
to the monitor, then on again it detects the sleep stage and immediately
goes into that state and awakes properly on the movement of the mouse or
keyboard. An annoyance or screen burn issue if I forget to cut power to
monitor when I finish. Finger pointing is the name of the game when I call
Nvidia and LG (monitor)

Anyone of you experts have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Vista 32bit w/SP1
XPS 410
LG 28" HG281D Monitor
4GB memory

--

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
If you seek happiness it will find you. It looks small as you gently hold it

Michael Walraven

Re: Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
If you changed motherboards you might also need to do a hardware scan for
Vista's hardware configuration.

in
msconfig
boot tab
advanced options button
check the detect HAL button

HAL - Hardware abstraction Layer, how Vista sees and uses the lowest level
hardware.

This is not the same as a new device scan in hardware devices, it is much
lower.

Michael

"captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All worked well until I upgraded to the 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and
> latest nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other
> than a quick message about hibernation not working or something similar).
> All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings
> checked and rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia
> software since initial install and also tried a second DVI port on the
> card. No help.
>
> The monitor error box stays on at the initial 'sleep stage' saying "no
> power connection. check for loose cables, etc." If I immediately cut the
> power off to the monitor, then on again it detects the sleep stage and
> immediately goes into that state and awakes properly on the movement of
> the mouse or keyboard. An annoyance or screen burn issue if I forget to
> cut power to monitor when I finish. Finger pointing is the name of the
> game when I call Nvidia and LG (monitor)
>
> Anyone of you experts have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>
> Vista 32bit w/SP1
> XPS 410
> LG 28" HG281D Monitor
> 4GB memory
>
> --
>
> __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
> If you seek happiness it will find you. It looks small as you gently hold
> it in your hands, but let it go and you learn at once how big and precious
> it is.

captfbgnet

Re: Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
Didn't change motherboard, just the Nvidia card. Noticed that "check the
detect HAL button" is NOT check on my boot tab. What'a think?

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> If you changed motherboards you might also need to do a hardware scan for
> Vista's hardware configuration.
>
> in
> msconfig
> boot tab
> advanced options button
> check the detect HAL button
>
> HAL - Hardware abstraction Layer, how Vista sees and uses the lowest level
> hardware.
>
> This is not the same as a new device scan in hardware devices, it is much
> lower.
>
> Michael
>

> "captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> All worked well until I upgraded to the 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and
>> latest nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other
>> than a quick message about hibernation not working or something similar).
>> All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings
>> checked and rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia
>> software since initial install and also tried a second DVI port on the
>> card. No help.
>>
>> The monitor error box stays on at the initial 'sleep stage' saying "no
>> power connection. check for loose cables, etc." If I immediately cut the
>> power off to the monitor, then on again it detects the sleep stage and
>> immediately goes into that state and awakes properly on the movement of
>> the mouse or keyboard. An annoyance or screen burn issue if I forget to
>> cut power to monitor when I finish. Finger pointing is the name of the
>> game when I call Nvidia and LG (monitor)
>>
>> Anyone of you experts have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Vista 32bit w/SP1
>> XPS 410
>> LG 28" HG281D Monitor
>> 4GB memory
>>
>> --
>>
>> __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
>> If you seek happiness it will find you. It looks small as you gently hold
>> it in your hands, but let it go and you learn at once how big and
>> precious it is.

Michael Walraven

Re: Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
HAL button is normally NOT checked, if you check it and reboot then HAL
check is done and I THINK the box is cleared (i.e. it is a one time check).

My eyes are getting as old as I am, thought you had mentioned a motherboard
replacement as well - another senior moment.

> Didn't change motherboard, just the Nvidia card. Noticed that "check the
> detect HAL button" is NOT check on my boot tab. What'a think?
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> If you changed motherboards you might also need to do a hardware scan for
>> Vista's hardware configuration.
>>
>> in
>> msconfig
>> boot tab
>> advanced options button
>> check the detect HAL button
>>
>> HAL - Hardware abstraction Layer, how Vista sees and uses the lowest
>> level hardware.
>>
>> This is not the same as a new device scan in hardware devices, it is much
>> lower.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "captfbgnet" <captfbgnet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> All worked well until I upgraded to the 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and
>>> latest nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other
>>> than a quick message about hibernation not working or something
>>> similar). All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power
>>> settings checked and rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated
>>> Nvidia software since initial install and also tried a second DVI port
>>> on the card. No help.
>>>
>>> The monitor error box stays on at the initial 'sleep stage' saying "no
>>> power connection. check for loose cables, etc." If I immediately cut the
>>> power off to the monitor, then on again it detects the sleep stage and
>>> immediately goes into that state and awakes properly on the movement of
>>> the mouse or keyboard. An annoyance or screen burn issue if I forget to
>>> cut power to monitor when I finish. Finger pointing is the name of the
>>> game when I call Nvidia and LG (monitor)
>>>
>>> Anyone of you experts have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Vista 32bit w/SP1
>>> XPS 410
>>> LG 28" HG281D Monitor
>>> 4GB memory
>>>
>>> --

>>> If you seek happiness it will find you. It looks small as you gently
>>> hold it in your hands, but let it go and you learn at once how big and
>>> precious it is.

captfbgnet

Re: Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse
No help with HAL..