Can't exit Power saving mode

Definer

Can't exit Power saving mode

Hi, I've just got myself a brandnew Dell desktop XPS420 with Vista on
it. Everything seemed to work fine, but my computer enters Power saving
mode at completely random times while im actually on the PC.
For example: I'm writing a document then suddenly my screen goes blank
and it says "Entering Power saving mode" after which the green
Power-light on the monitor changes orange-ish. When I try to wake it up
again, by either pressing keys on the keyboard or move the mouse,
nothing happens. Pressing any power-button (or monitor button) doesn't
help either and the only thing I can do is hold the Power-button to shut
my computer down and reboot it. This happens alot, no matter what I'm
doing and I don't know how to solve it.

I've changed all of the Power save mode-settings into 'off', also in
BIOS. This didn't help. All Windows updates are installed and running
and I didn't install any other programs yet whatsoever.

Can someone explain how I prevent my computer entering Power saving
mode? And how I exit that mode, since that doesn't work either.

--
Definer
Malke

Re: Can't exit Power saving mode
Definer wrote:

> Hi, I've just got myself a brandnew Dell desktop XPS420 with Vista on
> it. Everything seemed to work fine, but my computer enters Power saving
> mode at completely random times while im actually on the PC.
> For example: I'm writing a document then suddenly my screen goes blank
> and it says "Entering Power saving mode" after which the green
> Power-light on the monitor changes orange-ish. When I try to wake it up
> again, by either pressing keys on the keyboard or move the mouse,
> nothing happens. Pressing any power-button (or monitor button) doesn't
> help either and the only thing I can do is hold the Power-button to shut
> my computer down and reboot it. This happens alot, no matter what I'm
> doing and I don't know how to solve it.
>
> I've changed all of the Power save mode-settings into 'off', also in
> BIOS. This didn't help. All Windows updates are installed and running
> and I didn't install any other programs yet whatsoever.

Call Dell tech support immediately. It's a PITA but probably you have
hardware failure. The erratic appearance of the issue points to that. If
hardware is going to fail, it will usually do so very quickly - sometimes
right out of the box - or go for years. Your new Dell is under warranty, so
exercise it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

dinesh

Definer;912804 Wrote:
> Hi, I've just got myself a brandnew Dell desktop XPS420 with Vista on
> it. Everything seemed to work fine, but my computer enters Power saving
> mode at completely random times while im actually on the PC.
> For example: I'm writing a document then suddenly my screen goes blank
> and it says "Entering Power saving mode" after which the green
> Power-light on the monitor changes orange-ish. When I try to wake it up
> again, by either pressing keys on the keyboard or move the mouse,
> nothing happens. Pressing any power-button (or monitor button) doesn't
> help either and the only thing I can do is hold the Power-button to shut
> my computer down and reboot it. This happens alot, no matter what I'm
> doing and I don't know how to solve it.
>
> I've changed all of the Power save mode-settings into 'off', also in
> BIOS. This didn't help. All Windows updates are installed and running
> and I didn't install any other programs yet whatsoever.
>
> Can someone explain how I prevent my computer entering Power saving
> mode? And how I exit that mode, since that doesn't work either.

Its a known problem with Dell computers.
Here's the work around:
Open the computer tower.
Remove the CMOS battery.
Reseat the system memory.
Reseat the graphics card and turn on the computer.
The power save mode message should be gone at this time.
Then turn off the system and insert the CMOS battery and turn on the
computer.
Thats it ! ! !

--
dinesh