Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

unknown window that can't close

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2008
Gail C
 

Posts: n/a
unknown window that can't close
I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what program
started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled"
on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the page".
Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering problems OR
to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the menu bar
but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close. The only
way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because the
window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing this.
Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?
--
thank you for your help
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2008
meerkat
 

Posts: n/a
Re: unknown window that can't close

"Gail C" <gailc0279@gmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
news:2DA19504-5625-414F-BD6A-71F97F4A723B@microsoft.com...
>I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what
>program
> started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
> cancelled"
> on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the
> page".
> Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
> telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering
> problems OR
> to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
> menu bar
> but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close.
> The only
> way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
> tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
> working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because
> the
> window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing
> this.
> Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?
>

Hi G.
Go have a look in your Event Viewer.
Rt/click My Computer.
Click Manage.
Open the EViewer.
And Dbl/click on the current errors.

That way you might find some clues.
bw..


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: unknown window that can't close
Gail C wrote:

> I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what program
> started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
> cancelled"
> on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the page".
> Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
> telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering problems
> OR to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
> menu bar
> but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close. The
> only
> way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
> tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
> working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because the
> window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing this.
> Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?


Start by making sure the computer is virus/malware-free:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

Only *after* you are sure the machine is 100% clean, manage your Startup to
see what is starting with Windows and trying to get online.

Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
Instead, use Services.

Start Orb>Search box>type: services and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run As Administrator". Confirm elevation as
needed.

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Gail C
 

Posts: n/a
Re: unknown window that can't close


"meerkat" wrote:

>
> "Gail C" <gailc0279@gmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
> news:2DA19504-5625-414F-BD6A-71F97F4A723B@microsoft.com...
> >I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what
> >program
> > started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
> > cancelled"
> > on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the
> > page".
> > Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
> > telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering
> > problems OR
> > to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
> > menu bar
> > but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close.
> > The only
> > way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
> > tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
> > working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because
> > the
> > window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing
> > this.
> > Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?
> >

> Hi G.
> Go have a look in your Event Viewer.
> Rt/click My Computer.
> Click Manage.
> Open the EViewer.
> And Dbl/click on the current errors.
>
> That way you might find some clues.
> bw..
>
>
>

I have no idea what i would be looking for by doing this. too technical for
me. but
thanks anyway. Gail
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Gail C
 

Posts: n/a
Re: unknown window that can't close


"Malke" wrote:

> Gail C wrote:
>
> > I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what program
> > started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
> > cancelled"
> > on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the page".
> > Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
> > telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering problems
> > OR to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
> > menu bar
> > but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close. The
> > only
> > way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
> > tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
> > working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because the
> > window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing this.
> > Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?

>
> Start by making sure the computer is virus/malware-free:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> Only *after* you are sure the machine is 100% clean, manage your Startup to
> see what is starting with Windows and trying to get online.
>
> Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
> above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".
>
> If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
> type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
> You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
> a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
> blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
> tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".
>
> Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
> Instead, use Services.
>
> Start Orb>Search box>type: services and when it appears in the Results box
> above, right-click and choose "Run As Administrator". Confirm elevation as
> needed.
>
> The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>


I have looked at MSConfig Startup and don't see anything out of the norm. I
don't know what you mean by "confirm elevation". this is too technical for
my level of knowledge to muck around with so have just left everything as is.

thnaks anyway

Gail
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
MilesAhead
 

Posts: n/a
Re: unknown window that can't close

Gail C;910257 Wrote:
> I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what
> program
> started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was
> cancelled"
> on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the
> page".
> Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options)
> telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering
> problems OR
> to check my typed address. This window has a date and a time in the
> menu bar
> but no X to close or ability to minimize it or dialog box to close.
> The only
> way i can get rid of it is to use Task Manager. this is getting very
> tiresome as it happens quite often. Always the internet connection is
> working and i don't believe it is my typing that many errors. Because
> the
> window does not identify itself i don't know what website is causing
> this.
> Has anyone any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue?
> --
> thank you for your help


One thing you might try is installing 'Winpatrol'
(http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html)

The free version is fine. It has a tab called Startup Programs. You
might see something in there. Or it may even pop up a warning about
something trying to hijack your start page. In any case it's one of the
simpler monitoring programs and a good way to get into watching what's
going on in your system.


--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: unknown window that can't close
Gail C wrote:
> I have looked at MSConfig Startup and don't see anything out of the norm.
> I
> don't know what you mean by "confirm elevation". this is too technical
> for my level of knowledge to muck around with so have just left everything
> as is.


"Confirm elevation" means to OK/provide password to the UAC prompt. If you
don't know what you're looking at, you can Google it. I don't see where you
said you went through the malware scanning and any reported results.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If
possible, have all your data backed up before you take the machine into a
shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window will not close rapsgumbo microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 10-15-2008 22:24
IE7 Shuts down when I close a window. PsiTech microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 5 07-10-2008 14:36
Cannot close any active window with X GuardianTai microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 17 11-24-2007 17:03
Right click won't close the window... GIZM0213 microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 10-08-2007 05:31
Parts of window boxes won't close =?Utf-8?B?UGUzNDE=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-31-2007 23:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120