Registry Maintenance

67RAM67

Registry Maintenance
I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from Ascentive
that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).
Charles W Davis

Re: Registry Maintenance
You are going to find that most folks here will warn you never to use any
registry cleaners, FREE or PRICED.

"67RAM67" <67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from
> Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

GrahamH

Re: Registry Maintenance

"67RAM67" <67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from
> Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

Hi,
Not sure if these are Microsoft recommended but take a look.

http://registrycleanerhelp.org/7fjw/

Regards,
Graham.....

Billy Buddusky

Re: Registry Maintenance
67RAM67 <67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
>Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from Ascentive
>that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

There are a lot of free ones but they - free and not free - all suck.

They don't speed up your system and it's quite possible that you will
screw up your system by using them.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Registry Maintenance
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:56:04 -0800, 67RAM67
<67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

*All* registry cleaners, free or not, should be avoided.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
The Max

Re: Registry Maintenance
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 06:56:04 -0800, 67RAM67
<67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
>Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from Ascentive
>that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

Read this:

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

--
Max
Blackstickman

Re: Registry Maintenance

67RAM67;910155 Wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for
> Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from
> Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

Here's a free registry cleaner: 'WiseCleaner.com - Version Free and
Pro' (http://www.wisecleaner.com/freeandpro.html). And of course
CCleaner also has a registry cleaner built in. 'CCleaner - Home'
(http://www.ccleaner.com/)

--
Blackstickman
John Barnett MVP

Re: Registry Maintenance
You don't need a registry cleaner, they cause more problems than they
actually cure. My advise is steer well clear of registry cleaners.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"67RAM67" <67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for
> Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from
> Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

Rick Rogers

Re: Registry Maintenance
To my knowledge, Microsoft has never endorsed any registry cleaner.

My opinion is shared by other responders in that not only are they not
recommended but they can be very dangerous.

My question to you is why do you think you need to use one?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"67RAM67" <67RAM67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from
> Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

Bruce Chambers

Re: Registry Maintenance
67RAM67 wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any excellent FREE registry cleaners for Vista
> Ultimate that is recommended by microsoft? I found something from Ascentive
> that looks good but I am not fully sure (Even though it isn't free).

There is no such thing as a "good" (meaning useful or beneficial)
registry cleaner, free or otherwise. Some are less harmful than others,
but because they're all nothing but snake oil, I won't recommend any.

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

A little further reading on the subject:

Why I don't use registry cleaners
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

AumHa Forums • View topic - AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry
Cleaner?
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

--

Bruce Chambers