MMC hangs at disk management

Dave T.

MMC hangs at disk management
Please give me pointers to solve this problem...

Vista Home Premium 32 bit
3 gigs ram.
Dual core Athlon 3800+

I did a scan in safe mode with Win Defender and Ad Aware - nothing
found. Scanned with Avast - all clear. Performed a complete Chkdisk -
all OK. SFC Scannow found no integrity violations.

When I open computer management, everything works fine. I can peruse the
event viewer, and do all the things available there, until I click on
disk management. At that point MMC.EXE hangs, according to the event
viewer. I have made no recent changes except for uninstall a download
manager a couple of days ago. The problem is that it has been more than
6 months since I last accessed the disk management utility, so I cannot
know how long it has been since it took a shyte. Any help for me?
--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
JerryM

Re: MMC hangs at disk management
Try the following to see if it works:

Right click Start,
select manage,
select disk management,
Go to full screen to see all the drives.

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
> Please give me pointers to solve this problem...
>
> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> 3 gigs ram.
> Dual core Athlon 3800+
>
> I did a scan in safe mode with Win Defender and Ad Aware - nothing found.
> Scanned with Avast - all clear. Performed a complete Chkdisk - all OK. SFC
> Scannow found no integrity violations.
>
> When I open computer management, everything works fine. I can peruse the
> event viewer, and do all the things available there, until I click on disk
> management. At that point MMC.EXE hangs, according to the event viewer. I
> have made no recent changes except for uninstall a download manager a
> couple of days ago. The problem is that it has been more than 6 months
> since I last accessed the disk management utility, so I cannot know how
> long it has been since it took a shyte. Any help for me?
> --
> Dave T.
>

> You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
> Emporer of Japan

Dave T.

JerryM wrote:
> Try the following to see if it works:
>
> Right click Start,
> select manage,
> select disk management,
> Go to full screen to see all the drives.
>

> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
>> Please give me pointers to solve this problem...
>>
>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>> 3 gigs ram.
>> Dual core Athlon 3800+
>>
>> I did a scan in safe mode with Win Defender and Ad Aware - nothing
>> found. Scanned with Avast - all clear. Performed a complete Chkdisk -
>> all OK. SFC Scannow found no integrity violations.
>>
>> When I open computer management, everything works fine. I can peruse
>> the event viewer, and do all the things available there, until I click
>> on disk management. At that point MMC.EXE hangs, according to the
>> event viewer. I have made no recent changes except for uninstall a
>> download manager a couple of days ago. The problem is that it has been
>> more than 6 months since I last accessed the disk management utility,
>> so I cannot know how long it has been since it took a shyte. Any help
>> for me?
>> --
>> Dave T.
>>

>> You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
>> Emporer of Japan

Sorry Jerry, I have no "manage" in the right click menu from the start orb.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
DDW

Re: MMC hangs at disk management
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:47:17 -0800, "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net>
wrote:

>JerryM wrote:
>> Try the following to see if it works:
>>
>> Right click Start,
>> select manage,
>> select disk management,
>> Go to full screen to see all the drives.
>>

>> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
>>> Please give me pointers to solve this problem...
>>>
>>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>>> 3 gigs ram.
>>> Dual core Athlon 3800+
>>>
>>> I did a scan in safe mode with Win Defender and Ad Aware - nothing
>>> found. Scanned with Avast - all clear. Performed a complete Chkdisk -
>>> all OK. SFC Scannow found no integrity violations.
>>>
>>> When I open computer management, everything works fine. I can peruse
>>> the event viewer, and do all the things available there, until I click
>>> on disk management. At that point MMC.EXE hangs, according to the
>>> event viewer. I have made no recent changes except for uninstall a
>>> download manager a couple of days ago. The problem is that it has been
>>> more than 6 months since I last accessed the disk management utility,
>>> so I cannot know how long it has been since it took a shyte. Any help
>>> for me?
>>> --
>>> Dave T.
>>>

>>> You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
>>> Emporer of Japan

>Sorry Jerry, I have no "manage" in the right click menu from the start orb.

Do you have a "Start Search" box when you click the Start Orb??

If so... type DISKMGMT.MSC in it and hit ENTER.

If you don't have that box...

Control Panel (Classic mode) - Admin Tools - Computer Management -
Disk Management

DDW
No email please
Dave T.

DDW wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:47:17 -0800, "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net>
> wrote:
>
>> JerryM wrote:
>>> Try the following to see if it works:
>>>
>>> Right click Start,
>>> select manage,
>>> select disk management,
>>> Go to full screen to see all the drives.
>>>

>>> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message

>> Sorry Jerry, I have no "manage" in the right click menu from the start orb.

> Do you have a "Start Search" box when you click the Start Orb??
>
> If so... type DISKMGMT.MSC in it and hit ENTER.
>
> If you don't have that box...
>
> Control Panel (Classic mode) - Admin Tools - Computer Management -
> Disk Management
>
> DDW
> No email please

I located "manage" in the right click menu of "computer". It simply
opens the same utility with the same results. Ditto for "diskmgmt.msc".
As soon as the list of drives in the upper pane appears, the app hangs
and the start menu flickers.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
Dave T.

Re: MMC hangs at disk management-FIXED
Dave T. wrote:
> Please give me pointers to solve this problem...
>
> Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> 3 gigs ram.
> Dual core Athlon 3800+
>
> I did a scan in safe mode with Win Defender and Ad Aware - nothing
> found. Scanned with Avast - all clear. Performed a complete Chkdisk -
> all OK. SFC Scannow found no integrity violations.
>
> When I open computer management, everything works fine. I can peruse the
> event viewer, and do all the things available there, until I click on
> disk management. At that point MMC.EXE hangs, according to the event
> viewer. I have made no recent changes except for uninstall a download
> manager a couple of days ago. The problem is that it has been more than
> 6 months since I last accessed the disk management utility, so I cannot
> know how long it has been since it took a shyte. Any help for me?

It seems that the problem lies with the photo download monitor that runs
in the background from Adobe Photoshop Elements 6. Closing it allows
disk management to function normally.

Thanks for trying to help everyone. I appreciate it.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
JerryM

Re: MMC hangs at disk management-FIXED
Glad you discovered the problem, Dave,