readyboost drives and performance for other files on the drive

Heath P. Dillon

readyboost drives and performance for other files on the drive
Hi,

My understanding is that a readyboost drive is a drive that windows dumps
data to as its faster than dumping data to a hard disk....

If that is true, would I also get better performance to install apps onto
the readyboost drive such as Flight sim X??

What about the swap file that currently windows puts onto my C:\, would I be
better to move the swap file to the ready boost drive?

Rick Rogers

Re: readyboost drives and performance for other files on the drive
Hi,

Your understanding is incorrect. Readyboost is an indexed cache of
frequently used files, but they are stored on a slower drive. Because they
are indexed, they can be accessed faster, but the actual seek time of a
thumb drive is considerably slower than your hard drive. Do not install
software there. Do not move the pagefile there. Performance would lag
considerably.

When a program is run, the files are loaded into the physical memory and
pages, they are not actually run from the hard drive (other than the page
faults loading the pages on an as needed basis to physical memory). Loading
them from a thumb drive, with its slower seek time, will result in a greater
lag in initialization of software you wish to use.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org