Vista won't connect internet though router

cvan

Vista won't connect internet though router

Hello everyone.

I just got my new pc for 2 days, and I cannot connect to the internet
using my router, but it can get on the net if it is connected directly
to the modem.

I know there's nothing wrong with the connection and router because my
old pc (5 yrs old window XP) and laptop both use the same router and
have no problem at all. While the old one is connecting to the web, the
new one doesn't have any connection (IE, Messenger, window help...).

I have been seaching the web and checking my internet setting, nothing
seems to be wrong and different from my other pc. Does anyone have any
idea what is the problem here? :cry:

Thank you.
Van

--
cvan
Jane C

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router
"cvan" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello everyone.
>
> I just got my new pc for 2 days, and I cannot connect to the internet
> using my router, but it can get on the net if it is connected directly
> to the modem.
>
> I know there's nothing wrong with the connection and router because my
> old pc (5 yrs old window XP) and laptop both use the same router and
> have no problem at all. While the old one is connecting to the web, the
> new one doesn't have any connection (IE, Messenger, window help...).
>
> I have been seaching the web and checking my internet setting, nothing
> seems to be wrong and different from my other pc. Does anyone have any
> idea what is the problem here? :cry:
>
> Thank you.
> Van
>

> --
> cvan

Hello cvan,

First of all, visit this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Your router, especially if it is an older model, may not support some of
Vista's networking capabilities. There is a link on that page to download
and run a utility that will test your router to see if it is compatible with
Vista:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

If running the tool points to your router as being the problem, then it's
time for a new one.

Do all of your computers get their LAN IP addresses from the DHCP server on
the router? Are they all set up to obtain their IP addresses automatically?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

breitak67

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

If your router is an older model, it may actually be incompatible with
Vista. My understanding is the uPNP has changed. I had a NetGear
RangeMax (the original version). I began having serious problems when I
went to Vista on my desktop (wired connection - my laptops have no issue
connecting via wireless). The NetGear site indicated the router was
incompatible and no patch or update was available because it was an
obsolete product - I had to buy a NetGear RangeMax V2. What is the
Make/Model of your router?

--
breitak67
cvan

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

Thanks for your reply breitak67.

the weird thing is when my dad was here for vacation in May, his new
laptop also with vista can use my router too.

This machine's connection is so unstable now, it won't connect at start
up, I have to open the internet setting and diagnose everytime it start
and after sleep mode, what should I do with the internet setting? I
have it empty everything now, with LAN it shouldn't need any special
thing to set up right?

--
cvan
breitak67

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

When your dad was there was he connecting wirelessly with the laptop or
via the wired interface? The wireless interface has no issue - it's
just wired connections that fail.

There is one big thing I always advocate doing to avoid issues. Go
into the properties of your local area network connection. Disable
"Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)." Vista enables this protocol
by default, but only relatively new routers will support IPv6 protocol.
In fact, IPv6 traffic can cause some older routers to "sieze up." With
my NetGear RangeMax V1, for example, used to hang and I would have to
reboot it pretty frequently during the process of trying to get an IP.

--
breitak67
cvan

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

I did everything you said above, and the internet connected for 1 night
for both computers. Next day morning nothing working again. Still the
same setting, but only the old XP can connect through the router. And
even I connect Vista directly to the moderm, I have to run Diagnose &
Repair and reset LAN everytime I start the computer or return from sleep
mode to have anything.

I have no idea what's going on now....

--
cvan
breitak67

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

What is the make/model of the router?

--
breitak67
cvan

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

it's CNet CNIG-914, got it about 5 yrs ago.

--
cvan
Billy Buddusky

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router
cvan <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>it's CNet CNIG-914, got it about 5 yrs ago.

Thanks for sharing.
breitak67

Re: Vista won't connect internet though router

It looks like the early CNIG-914's had DNS issues. Can you tell if
yours is a 914(A), (B), (C), or (D)?

Another thing - this forum's posts appear in a larger forum, to which a
response was posted that is not reflected here in this forum. In case
you are not watching the larger forum, I am going to repost a response
from Jane C. My apologies to the folks on the larger forum that will
see Jane's reponse plus my quote, and of course thanks to Jane C for her
response.

--
breitak67