suggestions for upgrade?

=?Utf-8?B?aG9vb3N1cmRhZHk=?=

suggestions for upgrade?
i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently i bought
an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista home basic...it's a
pretty basic laptop that really does not run very expediently...any
suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed it up??pls email me at
hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any suggestions...thanks!
JimR

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
"hooosurdady" <hooosurdady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently i
>bought
> an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista home basic...it's
> pretty basic laptop that really does not run very expediently...any
> suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed it up??pls email me at
> hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any suggestions...thanks!

Adding ram will help.

--
Jim

Rock

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
"hooosurdady" <hooosurdady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently i
>bought
> an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista home basic...it's
> pretty basic laptop that really does not run very expediently...any
> suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed it up??pls email me at
> hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any suggestions...thanks!

Adding RAM to 1GB, and/or using a USB memory stick for ReadyBoost.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Dustin Harper

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
The one major thing you can do is to increase your RAM to at least 1 GB.
Laptops are pretty limited on upgrades, but the RAM upgrade is easy to do,
and you will notice a fairly good speed increase by doing it.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"hooosurdady" <hooosurdady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently i
>bought
> an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista home basic...it's
> pretty basic laptop that really does not run very expediently...any
> suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed it up??pls email me at
> hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any suggestions...thanks!

Victek

Re: suggestions for upgrade?

"hooosurdady" <hooosurdady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently i
>bought
> an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista home basic...it's
> pretty basic laptop that really does not run very expediently...any
> suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed it up??pls email me at
> hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any suggestions...thanks!

As everyone says, more RAM would make a big difference. I would only add
that Vista benefits from MORE than 1gb IMHO. If you can add 1gb to the
512mg that you currently have that would be better. Laptops often only have
one memory slot available for expansion in which case you want to make the
best use of it. I would recommend trying ReadyBoost as well. The only
disadvantage for a laptop is having a thumb-drive (memory key, whatever)
sticking out of a USB slot. If you have a memory card reader built-in you
could try using SD Flash memory for Readyboost since it's flush with the
case. Good luck!

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
hooosurdady wrote:

> i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently
> i bought an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista
> home basic...it's a pretty basic laptop that really does not run very
> expediently...any suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed
> it up??

Upgrade the RAM to 1GB.

> pls email me at hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any
> suggestions...thanks!

Sorry, no. No E-mail support. Ask here, read answers here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Dustin Harper

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
Isn't it kind of easy to copy and paste the email address into the Cc:
field? I did, took about 2-3 seconds for that... He gets the reply, and the
group sees it as well. Help him and others.

Nothing against you, just seems a little odd for an MVP to not go above and
beyond for such a simple request that takes an extra 3 seconds.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> hooosurdady wrote:
>
>> i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently
>> i bought an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista
>> home basic...it's a pretty basic laptop that really does not run very
>> expediently...any suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed
>> it up??

> Upgrade the RAM to 1GB.
>

>> pls email me at hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any
>> suggestions...thanks!

> Sorry, no. No E-mail support. Ask here, read answers here.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
I do not know Kens reasons, but my experience is when you respond by
email and there are other questions, they return by email bypassing
the newsgroup.
At that point, there are a couple of choices:
1. Respond by email bypassing the newsgroup and thus defeating much
of the strength of the newsgroups.
Respond by email and also search for the correct thread and send to
there as well.
This can be time consuming depending if the email has the same subject
as well as several other factors.
What takes seconds on the first post can easily get longer.Add to that
this may get more numerous and the few seconds to begin with grows
into a larger consumer of time.

Generally I respond in the newsgroup only and if the OP wants the
answer, they need to come back to find it.
Otherwise the OP may miss out but many more can see and hopefully
learn from the public discussion.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Isn't it kind of easy to copy and paste the email address into the
> Cc: field? I did, took about 2-3 seconds for that... He gets the
> reply, and the group sees it as well. Help him and others.
>
> Nothing against you, just seems a little odd for an MVP to not go
> above and beyond for such a simple request that takes an extra 3
> seconds.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com

Rick Rogers

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
Dangerous habit to get into, Dustin.

First, when you do that people start using you as their personal support
person and you get all sorts of questions, many of which you may not be able
to answer. Plus, it tends to tie up time you get to spend in the groups.

Second, one of the strengths of newsgroups is peer review. We all make
mistakes, and some give out intentionally bad advice. In a newsgroup, this
can be reviewed by and corrected by others. In a one on one session via
email, this process does not occur.

Third, the whole point of a newsgroup is that information is shared by all,
and is left for others to search on for answers. When things are resolved
via email (including confirmation that it was resolved), the information is
no longer public.

Fourth, many simply do not want to have their personal email address
floating out there or engage in personal email with people they don't know.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Isn't it kind of easy to copy and paste the email address into the Cc:
> field? I did, took about 2-3 seconds for that... He gets the reply, and
> the group sees it as well. Help him and others.
>
> Nothing against you, just seems a little odd for an MVP to not go above
> and beyond for such a simple request that takes an extra 3 seconds.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> hooosurdady wrote:
>>
>>> i am not very computer saavy, but i know enough to get by...recently
>>> i bought an hp pavillion laptop with 512 ram, duo core 1.6, vista
>>> home basic...it's a pretty basic laptop that really does not run very
>>> expediently...any suggestions on upgrades i could make to it to speed
>>> it up??

>> Upgrade the RAM to 1GB.
>>

>>> pls email me at hooosurdady@yahoo.com with any
>>> suggestions...thanks!

>> Sorry, no. No E-mail support. Ask here, read answers here.

>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: suggestions for upgrade?
All excellent reasons, which I endorse. The same goes for Jupiter Jones's
response.

I'll anticipate Dustin's response that I could send the message to both the
newsgroup and the individual, and add one additional point: I used to do
that, then found that I would often receive a reply by personal E-mail, then
later find the reply on the newsgroup. I ended up answering questions twice
that way. I don't want to do that any more, and it's the main reason I no
longer provide a real E-mail return address in newsgroups.