DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage

Ian Boyd

DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
Windows Vista is scheduled to run a defrag at 1 AM. i came home this evening
to find my machine running very slowly, and Process Explorer's notification
area icon showing continuious 50% CPU usage. It was DfrgNtfs.exe, and this
hasn't been the first time.

It's not doing any I/O. (Process Monitor, Process Explorer and Resouce
Monitor show no file or hard drive activity). It's just continiously using
50% of my CPU (100% of one core).

Task Manager shows its "CPU Time" as 14 hours, so it's been burning up CPU
cycles doing nothing for hours.

Process Explorer shows more of the vitals:
Start: 3:57:52 AM 12/10/2008
Kernel: 0:15:17.488 (constant, 15 minutes)
User: 14:27:16.795 (climbing, 14 hours)
Base Priority: 4
I/O Priority: Very Low
Memory Priority: 3
Cycles: 97,534,870,881,480 (climbing at about 1.8 billion cycles per
second)

Looking at the stack trace of the thread that is taking up all the CPU:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSwapContext+0x26
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSwapThread+0x44f
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x492
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiSuspendThread+0x18
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDeliverApc+0x138
hal.dll!KfRaiseIrql+0xd1
hal.dll!KeRaiseIrqlToSynchLevel+0x70
hal.dll!HalEndSystemInterrupt+0x73
hal.dll!HalInitializeProcessor+0xcc1
DfrgNtfs.exe!AlgMoveExtentForward+0x486
DfrgNtfs.exe!PartialDefragThread+0x38b
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xe
ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart+0x23
ntdll.dll!_RtlUserThreadStart+0x1b

There are two defragmentation scheduled tasks defined on my computer:
Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Defrag/ManualDefrag
Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/Defrag/ScheduledDefrag

neither are running right now. The scheduled defrag is scheduled to start
Wednesday at 1:00 AM (not 3:57 AM)

The system was last restarted 4 days ago (Saturday, December 6, 8:23:22 PM),
so the defrag didn't start at the last reboot.

If i try to manually run the defragmenter (Control Panel->System and
Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Defragment your hard drive), it does not
run. The Vista energy ring (the blue-green spinning busy circle) appears
briefly and the text briefly changes to:
Defragmenting hard disk (D
This may take a from a few minutes to a few hours

before changing back to:
Scheduled defragmentation is enabled
Your disks will be defragmented at the scheduled time.

If i uncheck the option "Run on a schedule (recommended)", close the
defragmentation form, and go back into it, a defragmentation pass
immediately begins - and it uses a second DfrgNtfs.exe process (the initial
CPU hogging process remains in place). If i turn the scheduled
defragmentation option back on and close the form, the 2nd DfrgNtfs.exe
process ends - leaving my initial rogue DfrgNtfs.exe process running.

It's now been an hour since i started researching this, the process is still
running, taking all of a core, and still stuck at "HalInitializeProcessor".

So my question is: What is the proper way to stop a defragmentation pass?

Note: Things that are not proper:
killing the process
renaming DfrgNtfs.exe while in safe mode
disabling pre-fetch
disabling boot file optimization order

The real reason i noted there was a problem is that the lack of CPU cycles
was preventing the WoW client from initializing before the server decided my
client wasn't responding - and booted me. And not being able to play WoW is
serious business.

i dumped the process using Task Manager if anyone with more WinDbg
experience than me wants to take a crack at it, and i'll leave the process
permanently suspended.

Ian Boyd

Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
Also, the DfrgNtfs.exe process has been started by SvcHost. This particular
svchost hosts the two services:
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Plug and Play

which at first i found strange that it wasn't start by the Task Engine
service. But then i considered the possibility that the task scheduler uses
DCOM to to start the disk defragmenter out of process.

Can anyone confirm this?

Ian Boyd

Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
bump

"Ian Boyd" <me@here.net> wrote in message
> Also, the DfrgNtfs.exe process has been started by SvcHost. This
> particular svchost hosts the two services:
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> Plug and Play
>
> which at first i found strange that it wasn't start by the Task Engine
> service. But then i considered the possibility that the task scheduler
> uses DCOM to to start the disk defragmenter out of process.
>

> Can anyone confirm this?

Ian Boyd

Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
sdfsdf
"Ian Boyd" <me@here.net> wrote in message
> Also, the DfrgNtfs.exe process has been started by SvcHost. This
> particular svchost hosts the two services:
> DCOM Server Process Launcher
> Plug and Play
>
> which at first i found strange that it wasn't start by the Task Engine
> service. But then i considered the possibility that the task scheduler
> uses DCOM to to start the disk defragmenter out of process.
>

> Can anyone confirm this?

Alex

Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
Yes, I do confirm this. Have the same problem. Just an idea - do you have any
external usb drives? Smth like Freeagent from Seagate?

P.s.: In MS Knowledge Base there are some articles about this problem, but
for WinXP and Server 2003. It looks like they've fixed this problem in old
OSes, but didn't bother about the newest one. Shame. Will try to concat the
support
Alex

Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
Yep, it's defragmentation issue of this external usb drive.
If I start the process directly with defrag x: -v, almost immediately get
this issue with dfrgntfs.exe

> [...]
>

> It's now been an hour since i started researching this, the process is
> still running, taking all of a core, and still stuck at
> "HalInitializeProcessor".
>

> So my question is: What is the proper way to stop a defragmentation pass?
>
> Note: Things that are not proper:
> killing the process
> renaming DfrgNtfs.exe while in safe mode
> disabling pre-fetch
> disabling boot file optimization order
>

> The real reason i noted there was a problem is that the lack of CPU cycles
> was preventing the WoW client from initializing before the server decided
> my client wasn't responding - and booted me. And not being able to play
> WoW is serious business.
>

> i dumped the process using Task Manager if anyone with more WinDbg
> experience than me wants to take a crack at it, and i'll leave the process

noisywan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage and I hate it
I'm on a Win Xp pro SP3 and I also have this problem with defrag.
It starts when left idle and takes up %50 of cpu core saturating the system forever. No visible scheduled tasks and no enrty in msconfig startup services menu. (I don't have diskeeper)
It never completes and the process can't be killed. Besides, there is no sign of any harddisk activity nor defragmantation.
Access is denied when I try to end process from the taskman. I can't even change the priority nor affinity. The only way to end the pain is shutting down the system.
If defrag was auto-fired up in session, I can't properly shutdown the system because shutdown progress hangs at 'saving your settings' stage.

Any solution would be appreciated to disable this annoying dfrgntfs.exe contraption!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Boyd View Post
> [...]

> It's now been an hour since i started researching this, the process is
> still running, taking all of a core, and still stuck at
> "HalInitializeProcessor".
>

> So my question is: What is the proper way to stop a defragmentation pass?
>
> Note: Things that are not proper:
> killing the process
> renaming DfrgNtfs.exe while in safe mode
> disabling pre-fetch
> disabling boot file optimization order
>

> The real reason i noted there was a problem is that the lack of CPU cycles
> was preventing the WoW client from initializing before the server decided
> my client wasn't responding - and booted me. And not being able to play
> WoW is serious business.
>

> i dumped the process using Task Manager if anyone with more WinDbg
> experience than me wants to take a crack at it, and i'll leave the process

Last edited by noisywan : 09-19-2009 at 21:48.
John Galt

noisywan <noisywan.3ys3cd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>I'm on a Win Xp pro SP3 and I also have this problem with defrag.

[snip]

Then it might be wise to ask your question in an XP group, rather than
in a Vista group... whaddaya think?

noisywan is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: DfrgNtfs.exe takes up 100% (core) usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
noisywan <noisywan.3ys3cd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>I'm on a Win Xp pro SP3 and I also have this problem with defrag.

[snip]

Then it might be wise to ask your question in an XP group, rather than
in a Vista group... whaddaya think?
I have already done that. No solution.
I don't see anything wrong to add a note that this issue happens on XP also.

I'm also interested in the solution for Vista.
*bump*