Hard disk running constantly

Abi

Hard disk running constantly
I have Vista Business installed and have changed various things to have Vista
start and close quicker. It takes approx. 2½ minutes from I start my machine
until Vista is fully loaded. But after that the hard drive is running
constantly, which means it takes a long time to execute e.g. Excel. Can
someone tell me what I can do about that?
BogdanF

RE: Hard disk running constantly
Hi,
a. Open "Task Manager" ( Ctrl+Shift+Esc )
b. Go to "Services" tab and select the "Services..." button ( right-bottom )
c. You maybe are prompt for a UA confirmation ( "Continue" ) [ Run as
administrator ]
d. The "Services" window
e. Search for "Superfetch" in [Name] column
f. Select it and then make a right-click ( mouse ) and choose from the list
- "Properties" item
g. At "Startup type:" [ "General" tab ] select it "Manual" and for "Service
status:" choose "Stopped" ( click on the "Stop" button )
h. Click "Apply" and see if there is a change in your hard-disk running mode;

Have a nice day!
Brian the King

Re: Hard disk running constantly

In addition to what Bogdan has suggested, I would also disable the
'Windows Search' service.

--
Brian the King
Paul Smith

"Brian the King" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> In addition to what Bogdan has suggested, I would also disable the
> 'Windows Search' service.

Great - until of course the user wants to search and perhaps several months
down the line forgot that the service was disabled.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Sonny Wortzik

Re: Hard disk running constantly
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 01:52:37 -0000, "Paul Smith"
<Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote:

>"Brian the King" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>
>> In addition to what Bogdan has suggested, I would also disable the
>> 'Windows Search' service.

>Great - until of course the user wants to search and perhaps several months
>down the line forgot that the service was disabled.

Disabling the search service and all the indexing of my 4 drives AND
disabling UAC were the two best things I ever did since installing
Vista on this machine.
Steve Thackery

Re: Hard disk running constantly
> Disabling the search service and all the indexing of my 4 drives AND
> disabling UAC were the two best things I ever did since installing
> Vista on this machine.

Keeping them enabled were the best thing I ever did.

Obviously you don't bother searching for text strings inside files - if you
did, you would never recommend turning Vista's seach service off (unless
you're using an alternative like Copernic).

The fact that I can type "anisochronism" into Vista's search box, and it
INSTANTLY offers me a list of every file on my entire hard disk containing
that word, is just brilliant.

UAC is good, too. It alerts me whenever something with security
implications is about to happen. This is a GOOD thing, as every Linux and
Max OSX fan will tell you.

SteveT

Sonny Wortzik

Re: Hard disk running constantly
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:15:39 -0000, "Steve Thackery"
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>> Disabling the search service and all the indexing of my 4 drives AND
>> disabling UAC were the two best things I ever did since installing
>> Vista on this machine.

>Keeping them enabled were the best thing I ever did.
>
>Obviously you don't bother searching for text strings inside files - if you
>did, you would never recommend turning Vista's seach service off (unless
>you're using an alternative like Copernic).
>
>The fact that I can type "anisochronism" into Vista's search box, and it
>INSTANTLY offers me a list of every file on my entire hard disk containing
>that word, is just brilliant.

I have no need to search a text string, or to search inside files.

I keep everything quite organized here... all ten years of saved
material, including email (I might even have some stuff older than
that, but I doubt it).

I don't mind rooting around in directories that much. It's far less
annoying than disk indexing and Vista's search.

>UAC is good, too. It alerts me whenever something with security
>implications is about to happen. This is a GOOD thing, as every Linux and
>Max OSX fan will tell you.

I'm well-protected, and prefer to live without all the UAC
alerts/prompts. I found UAC totally annoying when I first installed
Vista and began installing all the stuff I'd collected over the years
that I had running on my XP system. After installing maybe the fourth
program, I stopped and searched the Web to find out what was annoying
me and how to disable it. I've been happy ever since.