Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
Got an HP machine with OEM version of Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000 with
2GB of RAM. The 320G hard drive was formatted into 12 NTFS logical drives.

Have been trying to backup files on one of the logical drives to DVD using
the 'Backup and Restore' program but the backup never ran successfully to
completion. It failed after 2 or 3 discs have been burnt and exited with
either 'access denied' or 'IO error' messages. The DVD drive had been tested
to work properly.

When the backup was restarted, it prompted for the last backup disk to be
inserted but the program could not recognized the disk. If 'Use blank disk'
was selected, it will start from 'disk 1' again. The files to be backed up
include .VHD between 4GB and 11GB in size.

The backup still did not work if I stopped running any other programs
including Norton Antivirus. The backup was also very slow that it took over
an hour to burn a single backup disk. So much time and DVD-ROM (> 30) have
been wasted. Very, very disappointed with the product as I expected Windows
Vista should be able to perform these basic maintenance tasks with ease.
Unable to find much support information on this issue on microsoft website
either.

Please help.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
Can you verify that you have the latest driver for your DVD drive? The
reports I've seen of DVD/Backup errors almost always point back to the DVD
drive as the culprit. Other people have reported success when switching to a
higher-quality DVD disc.

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got an HP machine with OEM version of Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000
> with
> 2GB of RAM. The 320G hard drive was formatted into 12 NTFS logical
> drives.
>
> Have been trying to backup files on one of the logical drives to DVD using
> the 'Backup and Restore' program but the backup never ran successfully to
> completion. It failed after 2 or 3 discs have been burnt and exited with
> either 'access denied' or 'IO error' messages. The DVD drive had been
> tested
> to work properly.
>
> When the backup was restarted, it prompted for the last backup disk to be
> inserted but the program could not recognized the disk. If 'Use blank
> disk'
> was selected, it will start from 'disk 1' again. The files to be backed
> up
> include .VHD between 4GB and 11GB in size.
>
> The backup still did not work if I stopped running any other programs
> including Norton Antivirus. The backup was also very slow that it took
> over
> an hour to burn a single backup disk. So much time and DVD-ROM (> 30)
> have
> been wasted. Very, very disappointed with the product as I expected
> Windows
> Vista should be able to perform these basic maintenance tasks with ease.
> Unable to find much support information on this issue on microsoft website
> either.
>
> Please help.

Ken Blake, MVP

George wrote:

> Got an HP machine with OEM version of Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build
> 6000 with 2GB of RAM. The 320G hard drive was formatted into 12 NTFS
> logical drives.

I can't help with your backup question, but I'm very curious as to why you
have such an extraordinarily high number of logical drives.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Isaac Hunt

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got an HP machine with OEM version of Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000
> with
> 2GB of RAM. The 320G hard drive was formatted into 12 NTFS logical
> drives.
>
> Have been trying to backup files on one of the logical drives to DVD using
> the 'Backup and Restore' program but the backup never ran successfully to
> completion. It failed after 2 or 3 discs have been burnt and exited with
> either 'access denied' or 'IO error' messages. The DVD drive had been
> tested
> to work properly.
>
> When the backup was restarted, it prompted for the last backup disk to be
> inserted but the program could not recognized the disk. If 'Use blank
> disk'
> was selected, it will start from 'disk 1' again. The files to be backed
> up
> include .VHD between 4GB and 11GB in size.
>
> The backup still did not work if I stopped running any other programs
> including Norton Antivirus. The backup was also very slow that it took
> over
> an hour to burn a single backup disk. So much time and DVD-ROM (> 30)
> have
> been wasted. Very, very disappointed with the product as I expected
> Windows
> Vista should be able to perform these basic maintenance tasks with ease.
> Unable to find much support information on this issue on microsoft website
> either.
>
> Please help.

12 logical drives? Why?

William Beard

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
Jill, I'm the guy you told to reload Vista HP. Could you please tell me why
every time I put a hard technical problem on this bulletin board, no MSFT or
MVP make a reply to it! I've placed printout from the Event Viewer as stand
alone postings and that's what happens...they stand alone. Reference
posting at Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:36 PM in this Newsgroup. There are two
more in this group. One at Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:38 PM and one at
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:34 PM. The later ones don't matter, because
they were before I reloaded. There just proof that a long time has passed
without any kind of action. But, the first reference was since I reloaded.

I'm sorry George for butting in on your message string, but it's the only
way I seem to be able to get any attention. Jill, tell me straight, what am
I doing wrong with those other postings that make the experts stay away?

William

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you verify that you have the latest driver for your DVD drive? The
> reports I've seen of DVD/Backup errors almost always point back to the DVD
> drive as the culprit. Other people have reported success when switching to
> a higher-quality DVD disc.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
William, my only guess is that perhaps nobody knows the answer to your
questions. I focus exclusively on the backup/system restore/offline files
questions because my team owns these and they're willing to answer questions
and assist with troubleshooting. Vista is still relatively new and perhaps
there isn't enough info out there for people to help you. Not all product
teams have someone to dedicate to newsgroup questions and so this might be
why you don't see many MSFT people out there.

"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Jill, I'm the guy you told to reload Vista HP. Could you please tell me
> why every time I put a hard technical problem on this bulletin board, no
> MSFT or MVP make a reply to it! I've placed printout from the Event
> Viewer as stand alone postings and that's what happens...they stand alone.
> Reference posting at Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:36 PM in this Newsgroup.
> There are two more in this group. One at Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:38
> PM and one at Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:34 PM. The later ones don't
> matter, because they were before I reloaded. There just proof that a long
> time has passed without any kind of action. But, the first reference was
> since I reloaded.
>
> I'm sorry George for butting in on your message string, but it's the only
> way I seem to be able to get any attention. Jill, tell me straight, what
> am I doing wrong with those other postings that make the experts stay
> away?
>
> William
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Can you verify that you have the latest driver for your DVD drive? The
>> reports I've seen of DVD/Backup errors almost always point back to the
>> DVD drive as the culprit. Other people have reported success when
>> switching to a higher-quality DVD disc.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Rock

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote
> Jill, I'm the guy you told to reload Vista HP. Could you please tell me
> why every time I put a hard technical problem on this bulletin board, no
> MSFT or MVP make a reply to it! I've placed printout from the Event
> Viewer as stand alone postings and that's what happens...they stand alone.
> Reference posting at Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:36 PM in this Newsgroup.
> There are two more in this group. One at Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:38
> PM and one at Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:34 PM. The later ones don't
> matter, because they were before I reloaded. There just proof that a long
> time has passed without any kind of action. But, the first reference was
> since I reloaded.
>
> I'm sorry George for butting in on your message string, but it's the only
> way I seem to be able to get any attention. Jill, tell me straight, what
> am I doing wrong with those other postings that make the experts stay
> away?

This is a peer to peer newsgroup. Everyone that posts here is volunteering
their time. So if you don't get a reply maybe it's because no one knows.
Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not trying to be argumentative but as
a peer to peer newsgroup no one is entitled to an answer. MVPs are just
users. If you want a response from someone then contact tech support.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
Jill,

Thanks for your reply! The driver for the 'TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L SCSI
CdRom' is cdrom.sys version 6.0.6000.16386 from microsoft dated 6/21/2006. I
ran the 'Update Driver Software' and got the following message:

'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date'

The discs I used were 'Sony' and 'Memorex'.

The backup program is not providing any information about what resource that
access was denied.

The fact that the program could not recognize last disc from previous backup
and restart over when 'Use blank disc' was selected, seem to me, are not
driver related.

Any way I can get more information to trace the source of the problem?

Thanks.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you verify that you have the latest driver for your DVD drive? The
> reports I've seen of DVD/Backup errors almost always point back to the DVD
> drive as the culprit. Other people have reported success when switching to a
> higher-quality DVD disc.

> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Got an HP machine with OEM version of Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000
> > with
> > 2GB of RAM. The 320G hard drive was formatted into 12 NTFS logical
> > drives.
> >
> > Have been trying to backup files on one of the logical drives to DVD using
> > the 'Backup and Restore' program but the backup never ran successfully to
> > completion. It failed after 2 or 3 discs have been burnt and exited with
> > either 'access denied' or 'IO error' messages. The DVD drive had been
> > tested
> > to work properly.
> >
> > When the backup was restarted, it prompted for the last backup disk to be
> > inserted but the program could not recognized the disk. If 'Use blank
> > disk'
> > was selected, it will start from 'disk 1' again. The files to be backed
> > up
> > include .VHD between 4GB and 11GB in size.
> >
> > The backup still did not work if I stopped running any other programs
> > including Norton Antivirus. The backup was also very slow that it took
> > over
> > an hour to burn a single backup disk. So much time and DVD-ROM (> 30)
> > have
> > been wasted. Very, very disappointed with the product as I expected
> > Windows
> > Vista should be able to perform these basic maintenance tasks with ease.
> > Unable to find much support information on this issue on microsoft website
> > either.
> >
> > Please help.

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
Two of the drives are taken up by System and Recovery. The rest was divided
up for users so that each user has it own drive to do whatever he/she wants.
In addition, backup schedule can be setup on per-logical drive basis. Any
advice against having so many logical drive?

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > Got an HP machine with OEM version of Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build
> > 6000 with 2GB of RAM. The 320G hard drive was formatted into 12 NTFS
> > logical drives.

> I can't help with your backup question, but I'm very curious as to why you
> have such an extraordinarily high number of logical drives.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Re: Vista Ultimate Files Backup Failed
Please see my reply to Ken's posting above.