Uninstalling / Registry

Josh

Uninstalling / Registry
Why is it that when you use Windows uninstaller is basically uninstall very
little? Folders remain ... files remain ... the registry is full of entries
relative to the program removed ... ??

Is it important to remove those entries from the registry? If so, can
someone recommend a straight forward program that will do that without
making a mess of things?

JamesJ

Re: Uninstalling / Registry
I use Registry Finder by AceLogix.
You can search the registry for a string and the program
lists the found entries. It also backs up the deleted entries as .reg files
so you can restore them if need be.
Don't forget to backup the registry.

James

"Josh" <s_w_a_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why is it that when you use Windows uninstaller is basically uninstall
> very little? Folders remain ... files remain ... the registry is full of
> entries relative to the program removed ... ??
>
> Is it important to remove those entries from the registry? If so, can
> someone recommend a straight forward program that will do that without
> making a mess of things?

Universe_JDJ

Re: Uninstalling / Registry
On Apr 7, 4:56 am, "Josh" <s_w_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it that when you use Windows uninstaller is basically uninstall very
> little? Folders remain ... files remain ... the registry is full of entries
> relative to the program removed ... ??
>
> Is it important to remove those entries from the registry? If so, can
> someone recommend a straight forward program that will do that without
> making a mess of things?

You could also try something like Your Uninstaller!. It runs the
normal uninstaller, then runs it own registry scan to pick up anything
left over.

Rock

Re: Uninstalling / Registry
"Josh" <s_w_a_k@hotmail.com> wrote
> Why is it that when you use Windows uninstaller is basically uninstall
> very little? Folders remain ... files remain ... the registry is full of
> entries relative to the program removed ... ??
>
> Is it important to remove those entries from the registry? If so, can
> someone recommend a straight forward program that will do that without
> making a mess of things?

This has always been an issue. It's a function of the uninstall routine
which is written by the software author. As a general rule unused or
orphaned entries in the registry are not a problem. There is no advantage
to using of of the so called registry cleaners to remove these. Only remove
such entries if you know they are causing a problem. Registry cleaners are
a snake oil remedy that cause more problems than they solve.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Re: Uninstalling / Registry
In addition to to what Rock said uninstallers ogter err on the side of
safety, may try to preserve your settings while uninstalled in case you
reinstall it.

The old MS setup program MS Acme wrote a file called MSCREATE.DIR to every
folder it created (the folder may have already existed). At uninstall it
would only remove folders that had this file and was the only file.

In short lazyness, don't give a stuff, or trying not to destroy your data.