Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Defragment

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2008
Dina
 

Posts: n/a
Defragment

-EVERY TIME I USE THE DEFRAGMENT, I GET THE SAME MESSAGE AFTER IT
FINISHES DEFRAGMENT (USUALY IT TAKE ONE HOUR TO DEFRAGMENT).-

! YOUR FILE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE CAN BE IMPROVED[/b]
*IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DEFRAGMENT NOW.
*-I have tried to run it manually and automaticaly. I always get the
same message. After that message, I click Run Defragment, it takes
anoher hour and then, same message -*
*! YOUR FILE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE CAN BE IMPROVED*
*IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DEFRAGMENT NOW.**


*-I HAVE THIS LAPTOP ABOUT A MONTH. I HAVE CALLED DELL UPPORT BUT
UNFORTUNATLY, THEY CANNOT HELP ME, THEY SAY IT IS NORMAL FOR THAT ERROR
MESSAGE, IS IT?-
[b]-Please help me, I donot want my new laptop to be damaged so soon.-*

*-Thank you for reading-*
*-D -*


--
Dina
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2008
jcgriff2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment

Try Auslogics disk defrag - install, go to desktop, right-click on icon,
select Run as Administrator

'Auslogics - Download Auslogics Disk Defrag'
(http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download)

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2008
Richard in AZ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment
"jcgriff2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:e217afc5d543ca28a3478b0eeb65bde3@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Try Auslogics disk defrag - install, go to desktop, right-click on icon,
> select Run as Administrator
>
> 'Auslogics - Download Auslogics Disk Defrag'
> (http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download)
>
> Regards. . .
>
> jcgriff2




Suggesting alternative software may do the job, but it does not help the OP (or other readers) solve the underlying problem.
Do you have any idea why the Windows Defrag software does not work?

These news groups are intended to help solve basic problems with Vista Performance.
I get a bit disappointed at:
People tying to sell their preference for Linux and
People acting like spoiled juveniles with flaming and name calling.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2008
Steve Thackery
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment
I would recommend that you don't run the defragger manually.

In a default Vista installation it runs automatically, once per week. It
runs slowly (lowest I/O and CPU priority) and doesn't interfere with your
work in any way.

Furthermore, it works. If you just leave it be, disk fragmentation will
never get severe enough to affect the performance of your machine.

Having said that, I don't understand why you are getting that report back
each time you use it. Would you tell us EXACTLY how you are initiating the
defragmentation?

SteveT

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2008
Dina
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment

*-Thank you all for trying to assist me and jcgriff2 without been smart,
I would just wanted the Defragment utility that came with the OS will
work. You see dear, this way, I will make certain perhaps that other
utilities in Vista are working preporly.-*
*--*
*-Steve dear, I also appreciate your assistance.-*
*-During the month I have own this laptop, I have run the disc
defragmentation two ways:-*
*-a) in auto mode-*
*-b) manually-*
*- as I previously mentioned on my first message, no matter in which
mode I -*
*- run the defrag. I always get the ame message -! Your file system
performance can be improved
*it is recommended that you defragment now.*
-I tried to run it last night, it was working for one hour, then got
the same error.-*
*--*
*-These are the steps that I am taking starting the defragmentation:-*
*-a) close all open programs (that inclludes making the screen saver to
off)-*
*-b) click Strat>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disc
Deframenter-*
*-c) In manual mode (for testing reasons when Run on a schedule
(recommended) is not checked, I click "Defragment now..." and after one
hour or so, I am getting -! Your file system performance can be improved
*it is recommended that you defragment now.*
*
*-If you need to read the specifications of my laptop, they are on my
profile.-*
**
*-PS: Please forgive my English ladies and gentleman, as this language
isn't my main language, I am foreigner residing in your lovely country
of the USA.-
*


--
Dina
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2008
Fred
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:30:32 -0600, Dina <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>*-PS: Please forgive my English ladies and gentleman, as this language
>isn't my main language, I am foreigner residing in your lovely country
>of the USA.-
>*


Your English is fine but all the asterisks are very annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2008
jcgriff2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment

Richard in AZ;904706 Wrote:
> "jcgriff2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:e217afc5d543ca28a3478b0eeb65bde3@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Try Auslogics disk defrag - install, go to desktop, right-click on

> > icon,
> > > select Run as Administrator
> > >
> > > 'Auslogics - Download Auslogics Disk Defrag'
> > > ('Auslogics - Download Auslogics Disk Defrag'

> > (http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download))
> > >
> > > Regards. . .
> > >
> > > jcgriff2 > >

>
>
>
> Suggesting alternative software may do the job, but it does not help
> the OP (or other readers) solve the underlying problem.
> Do you have any idea why the Windows Defrag software does not work?
>
> These news groups are intended to help solve basic problems with
> Vista Performance.
> I get a bit disappointed at:
> People tying to sell their preference for Linux and
> People acting like spoiled juveniles with flaming and name calling.



I appreciate and do note your comments; however...

I don't get a "bit disappointed" by the last two items you stated - I
am absolutely appalled by such actions. I do get disappointed by
non-contributing informational posts.

I fully understand the intended purpose of these newsgroups and forums
as I am a Moderator, Microsoft Support, elsewhere with a proven track
record of solved threads and have contributed over 6,000 posts in the
last 10 months - most of which include troubleshooting major Vista
system issues and BSOD crash dump analysis.

No, I don't (yet) know the reason the Vista defrag appears not to be
functioning properly. The intended purpose of my suggestion to run
Auslogics defrag was to see if it would successfully complete. If the
message from the Vista defrag then continued, my next suggestion would
be to run cleanmgr, sfc, HDD diagnostics, chkdsk, investigation of
WERCON and the Event Viewer System & Application logs to see what other
problems exist within the OPs system that may have precipitated the
defrag messages. I don't believe the only system issue the OP has is the
Vista defrag utility. I wouldn't be surprised to find interrupts and
page faults present in PERFMON. Hopefully we'll soon know.

@*Dina* - I would suggest that you run the Vista system health report -
save it in HTML format -
START | type *perfmon /rel* - hit enter | 60 seconds the output will
appear in the Reliability & Performance Monitor viewer; click on File;
Save; save as report file - HTML file extension.

Run msinfo32 and save as an NFO (system info file) -
START | type *msinfo32* - hit enter | the viewer will appear | Save the
file in NFO format - you'll see the NFO default file extension when you
go to save it.

Zip up the HTML and NFO files and attach to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2008
Richard in AZ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment
"jcgriff2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:49931d6d46a240cc9e50d063f5b3ea77@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Richard in AZ;904706 Wrote:
>> "jcgriff2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:e217afc5d543ca28a3478b0eeb65bde3@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
>> > >
>> > > Try Auslogics disk defrag - install, go to desktop, right-click on
>> > icon,
>> > > select Run as Administrator
>> > >
>> > > 'Auslogics - Download Auslogics Disk Defrag'
>> > > ('Auslogics - Download Auslogics Disk Defrag'
>> > (http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/download))
>> > >
>> > > Regards. . .
>> > >
>> > > jcgriff2 > >

>>
>>
>>
>> Suggesting alternative software may do the job, but it does not help
>> the OP (or other readers) solve the underlying problem.
>> Do you have any idea why the Windows Defrag software does not work?
>>
>> These news groups are intended to help solve basic problems with
>> Vista Performance.
>> I get a bit disappointed at:
>> People tying to sell their preference for Linux and
>> People acting like spoiled juveniles with flaming and name calling.

>
>
> I appreciate and do note your comments; however...
>
> I don't get a "bit disappointed" by the last two items you stated - I
> am absolutely appalled by such actions. I do get disappointed by
> non-contributing informational posts.
>
> I fully understand the intended purpose of these newsgroups and forums
> as I am a Moderator, Microsoft Support, elsewhere with a proven track
> record of solved threads and have contributed over 6,000 posts in the
> last 10 months - most of which include troubleshooting major Vista
> system issues and BSOD crash dump analysis.
>
> No, I don't (yet) know the reason the Vista defrag appears not to be
> functioning properly. The intended purpose of my suggestion to run
> Auslogics defrag was to see if it would successfully complete. If the
> message from the Vista defrag then continued, my next suggestion would
> be to run cleanmgr, sfc, HDD diagnostics, chkdsk, investigation of
> WERCON and the Event Viewer System & Application logs to see what other
> problems exist within the OPs system that may have precipitated the
> defrag messages. I don't believe the only system issue the OP has is the
> Vista defrag utility. I wouldn't be surprised to find interrupts and
> page faults present in PERFMON. Hopefully we'll soon know.
>
> @*Dina* - I would suggest that you run the Vista system health report -
> save it in HTML format -
> START | type *perfmon /rel* - hit enter | 60 seconds the output will
> appear in the Reliability & Performance Monitor viewer; click on File;
> Save; save as report file - HTML file extension.
>
> Run msinfo32 and save as an NFO (system info file) -
> START | type *msinfo32* - hit enter | the viewer will appear | Save the
> file in NFO format - you'll see the NFO default file extension when you
> go to save it.
>
> Zip up the HTML and NFO files and attach to your next post.
>
> Regards. . .
>
> jcgriff2
>
> .
>
>
> --
> jcgriff2


Very good response. I did not realize your suggested change in defrag software was to check the system.
My use of "disappointed" in the last reference was an attempt to stay out of the flame wars.
I learn a lot from these news groups and can occasionally even help.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2008
jcgriff2
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment

Richard in AZ;905448 Wrote:
> "jcgriff2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:49931d6d46a240cc9e50d063f5b3ea77@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Richard in AZ;904706 Wrote: > > > > >
> > > >> "jcgriff2" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> > > >> news:e217afc5d543ca28a3478b0eeb65bde3@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> Suggesting alternative software may do the job, but it does not help
> > > >> the OP (or other readers) solve the underlying problem.
> > > >> Do you have any idea why the Windows Defrag software does not work?
> > > >>
> > > >> These news groups are intended to help solve basic problems with
> > > >> Vista Performance.
> > > >> I get a bit disappointed at:
> > > >> People tying to sell their preference for Linux and
> > > >> People acting like spoiled juveniles with flaming and name calling.> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I appreciate and do note your comments; however...
> > >
> > > I don't get a "bit disappointed" by the last two items you stated

> > - I
> > > am absolutely appalled by such actions. I do get disappointed by
> > > non-contributing informational posts.
> > >
> > > I fully understand the intended purpose of these newsgroups and

> > forums
> > > as I am a Moderator, Microsoft Support, elsewhere with a proven

> > track
> > > record of solved threads and have contributed over 6,000 posts in

> > the
> > > last 10 months - most of which include troubleshooting major

> > Vista
> > > system issues and BSOD crash dump analysis.
> > >
> > > No, I don't (yet) know the reason the Vista defrag appears not to

> > be
> > > functioning properly. The intended purpose of my suggestion to

> > run
> > > Auslogics defrag was to see if it would successfully complete. If

> > the
> > > message from the Vista defrag then continued, my next suggestion

> > would
> > > be to run cleanmgr, sfc, HDD diagnostics, chkdsk, investigation

> > of
> > > WERCON and the Event Viewer System & Application logs to see what

> > other
> > > problems exist within the OPs system that may have precipitated

> > the
> > > defrag messages. I don't believe the only system issue the OP has

> > is the
> > > Vista defrag utility. I wouldn't be surprised to find interrupts

> > and
> > > page faults present in PERFMON. Hopefully we'll soon know.
> > >
> > > @*Dina* - I would suggest that you run the Vista system health

> > report -
> > > save it in HTML format -
> > > START | type *perfmon /rel* - hit enter | 60 seconds the output

> > will
> > > appear in the Reliability & Performance Monitor viewer; click on

> > File;
> > > Save; save as report file - HTML file extension.
> > >
> > > Run msinfo32 and save as an NFO (system info file) -
> > > START | type *msinfo32* - hit enter | the viewer will appear |

> > Save the
> > > file in NFO format - you'll see the NFO default file extension

> > when you
> > > go to save it.
> > >
> > > Zip up the HTML and NFO files and attach to your next post.
> > >
> > > Regards. . .
> > >
> > > jcgriff2
> > >
> > > .
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > jcgriff2 > >

>
> Very good response. I did not realize your suggested change in defrag
> software was to check the system.
> My use of "disappointed" in the last reference was an attempt to stay
> out of the flame wars.
> I learn a lot from these news groups and can occasionally even help.



Hi Richard. . .

Tried to send PM, but could not. So I will make non-related thread
topic post here.

My apologies if I flamed any fans here - I should and do know better.
You would have no way of knowing what my intended purpose was w/
Auslogics defrag. I had just finished long BSOD thread only to find out
Vista cracked copy. Nothing worse than spending time trying to help only
to find out there was never a chance for solution b/c of illegal Vista.

I agree w/ you about subversion of Vista w/Linux and alternatives as
that is not the answer to a stable Vista OS.

Kind Regards. . .

JC

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2009
kalieta
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defragment

Hello everyone,
I've been having the same problem as Dina, and i don't know what to do.
My HP laptop has been running really slow lately so I decided to
defragment it but it doesn't seem to work.
jcgriff2, i did what you said and i ran the -perfmon /rel -and also
-msinfo32. -I am joining my zipped files and hope you can propose me a
solution.-
-Thank you for your help.-
-


--
kalieta
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
defragment disk martin.m.l microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 09-07-2008 10:31
Why cant i use disk defragment Chris microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 09-27-2007 06:47
Files that won't defragment TM microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 09-16-2007 20:55
defragment raymondvillain microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 07-08-2007 18:32
Cannot defragment T5 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 03-01-2007 08:33




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120