SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW

howieonline

SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW
> On my Vista I have 4 users. When we go to switch user, it takes anywhere
> from 3-5 minutes for the screen to load up to the users. Then we can select
> the user. I understand it came take a minute or two to load up the user
> settings, but when you switch user, again it takes from 3-5 minutes? Any
> ideas?

Richard Urban

Re: SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW
Add more RAM!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"howieonline" <howieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> On my Vista I have 4 users. When we go to switch user, it takes anywhere
>> from 3-5 minutes for the screen to load up to the users. Then we can
>> select
>> the user. I understand it came take a minute or two to load up the user
>> settings, but when you switch user, again it takes from 3-5 minutes?
>> Any
>> ideas?

howieonline

Re: SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW
More Ram? Brand new computer-1 year old. Do you think I should add more Ram?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Add more RAM!
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>

> "howieonline" <howieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> On my Vista I have 4 users. When we go to switch user, it takes anywhere
> >> from 3-5 minutes for the screen to load up to the users. Then we can
> >> select
> >> the user. I understand it came take a minute or two to load up the user
> >> settings, but when you switch user, again it takes from 3-5 minutes?
> >> Any
> >> ideas?

Eddie Hyde

Re: SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:53:00 -0800, howieonline
<howieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>More Ram? Brand new computer-1 year old. Do you think I should add more Ram?

His answer WAS kinda complicated, but after a second and third
re-reading, I am pretty confident in assuring you that's what he was
saying.

>"Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Add more RAM!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:53:00 -0800, howieonline
<howieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> More Ram? Brand new computer-1 year old. Do you think I should add more Ram?

I'm not Richard, but in my view, how old the computer is isn't
important; you need to answer the following questions before anyone
can take a reasonable guess:

How much RAM do you have? What applications do you run?

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
> > Add more RAM!
> >
> > --
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Desktop Experience

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Charlie

Re: SWITCHING USERS SLOWWWWWW
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:53:00 -0800, howieonline
<howieonline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>More Ram? Brand new computer-1 year old. Do you think I should add more Ram?

That's what he said.

I'm gonna take a WAG here: where do you think the current situation
gets written to when a one switches users? Sounds a lot like some
kind of hibernation or sleep to me where the settings are written to
RAM (or the hard drive if not enough RAM is installed) and then the
new user's settings are loaded.

More RAM, less hard drive storage.

Like I said... just a WAG.