Windows update/system restore points

rawbery79

Windows update/system restore points

I installed a Windows update on Monday--the laptop was running
beautifully before then, not so much now. It randomly freezes up and I
can't apparently uninstall the update.

Also, it's not creating or keeping restore points. I just found out a
registry cleaner is bad, so I won't be doing that again, but how on
earth do I figure out what is causing the problem? :cry:

--
rawbery79
Mick Murphy

RE: Windows update/system restore points
Do a System Restore to before the Update.
Click start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>Pick a date.

If using Norton, disable it before using SR, as Norton causes probs with it.

Then change the way you get updates.
Make it that you get Notified before downloading them.
That way you can check to see what is comong, and whether you want it,
especially if Hardware drivers from MS.
Get them from the computer Manufacturer, or hardware Maker.
--
Mad Mike

"rawbery79" wrote:

> I installed a Windows update on Monday--the laptop was running
> beautifully before then, not so much now. It randomly freezes up and I
> can't apparently uninstall the update.
>
> Also, it's not creating or keeping restore points. I just found out a
> registry cleaner is bad, so I won't be doing that again, but how on
> earth do I figure out what is causing the problem? :cry:
>

> --
> rawbery79

rawbery79 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows update/system restore points
There are NO system restore points. None. Nothing for me to go back to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Murphy View Post

"rawbery79" wrote:

> I installed a Windows update on Monday--the laptop was running
> beautifully before then, not so much now. It randomly freezes up and I
> can't apparently uninstall the update.
>
> Also, it's not creating or keeping restore points. I just found out a
> registry cleaner is bad, so I won't be doing that again, but how on
> earth do I figure out what is causing the problem? :cry:
>

> --
> rawbery79

Mick Murphy

Re: Windows update/system restore points

Try running System File Checker: sfc /scannow
Info at above link.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

And here is a link to download a Recovery repair ISO file, and make a
bootable CD if you don't have Vista DVD to repair things.
--
Mad Mike

"rawbery79" wrote:

> There are NO system restore points. None. Nothing for me to go back
> to.
>
> Mick Murphy;1094737 Wrote:
> > Do a System Restore to before the Update.
> > Click start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>Pick a
> > date.
> >
> > If using Norton, disable it before using SR, as Norton causes probs
> > with it.
> >
> > Then change the way you get updates.
> > Make it that you get Notified before downloading them.
> > That way you can check to see what is comong, and whether you want it,
> > especially if Hardware drivers from MS.
> > Get them from the computer Manufacturer, or hardware Maker.
> > --
> > Mad Mike
> >

> > "rawbery79" wrote:
> >

> > > I installed a Windows update on Monday--the laptop was running
> > > beautifully before then, not so much now. It randomly freezes up and

> > > can't apparently uninstall the update.
> > >
> > > Also, it's not creating or keeping restore points. I just found out

> > > registry cleaner is bad, so I won't be doing that again, but how on
> > > earth do I figure out what is causing the problem? :cry:
> > >

> > > --
> > > rawbery79
> > >

> --
> rawbery79

Christine [MSFT]

Re: Windows update/system restore points
Are you able to manually create a restore point?

Thanks,
--
Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division