Registry Debris from Uninstalled Programs

Don Cohen

Registry Debris from Uninstalled Programs
Hi,

I have a new Vista Home Premium 64-bit system, and would prefer to keep it
as clean as possible.

I recently had to try out a number (probably 6 to 8) of programs for editing
my website (I previously used Adobe PageMill 3.0, which wouldn't install on
Vista 64-bit, no matter what options I tried!!), and finding all of them (so
far) unsuitable, uninstalled them.

I did a search through the Registry, and there is quite a bit of "debris"
left over from them. You'd think today's programs would be a little more
conscientious about cleaning up after themselves....

In any case, how safe is it to delete any/all references to the uninstalled
programs? I guess my OCD is showing here, as it irks me to have this junk
in my registry. The system is performing well, but I wonder how much bloat
will eventually hamper performance...

Or am I just worrying about nothing - just ignore it??

I'm reasonably comfortable editing the registry when I know precisely what
I'm doing, but am certainly not "literate" in the workings of the Registry.

Thanks.

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email

P.S. And if anybody happens to know any tricks to get Adobe PageMill 3.0
installed on a 64-bit Vista system, I'd be very interested. It's such an
old program (probably 7 years, if not more) that none of the Compatibility
modes available made any difference - I couldn't get the install to even
start, with an error message appearing indicating a windows version
incompatibility, or something like that.

Malke

Re: Registry Debris from Uninstalled Programs
Don Cohen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new Vista Home Premium 64-bit system, and would prefer to keep it
> as clean as possible.
>
> I recently had to try out a number (probably 6 to 8) of programs for
> editing my website (I previously used Adobe PageMill 3.0, which wouldn't
> install on Vista 64-bit, no matter what options I tried!!), and finding
> all of them (so far) unsuitable, uninstalled them.
>
> I did a search through the Registry, and there is quite a bit of "debris"
> left over from them. You'd think today's programs would be a little more
> conscientious about cleaning up after themselves....
>
> In any case, how safe is it to delete any/all references to the
> uninstalled
> programs? I guess my OCD is showing here, as it irks me to have this junk
> in my registry. The system is performing well, but I wonder how much
> bloat will eventually hamper performance...
>
> Or am I just worrying about nothing - just ignore it??
>
> I'm reasonably comfortable editing the registry when I know precisely what
> I'm doing, but am certainly not "literate" in the workings of the
> Registry.

It's fine to delete the entries for uninstalled programs but not necessary.
The extra entries will not hamper performance in the slightest. What you
should *not* do is use a registry cleaner. Since you're OK working in the
registry manually, do that if you are so inclined. Just be careful in
there. ;-)

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 - why not to use registry cleaners

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Don Cohen

Re: Registry Debris from Uninstalled Programs
Thanks for the quick reply, Malke.

> It's fine to delete the entries for uninstalled programs but not
> necessary.
> The extra entries will not hamper performance in the slightest. What you
> should *not* do is use a registry cleaner. Since you're OK working in the
> registry manually, do that if you are so inclined. Just be careful in
> there. ;-)
>
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 - why not to use registry cleaners

Yeah, I've heard bad things about registry cleaners, and haven't gone that
way so far. Point well taken.

I guess for the time being, I'll just leave well enough alone. If it
doesn't hurt performance, and I imagine has a negligible impact on the size
of the registry, what's the point?

Best,

--
Don

remove "lens cap" for email

Rick Rogers

Re: Registry Debris from Uninstalled Programs
Indeed. Unlike the Win9x line, "dead" entries in the registry have no impact
on the system and performance. Bloat, as it were, is immaterial.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org