any difference in adding 8GB RAM later

suga81

any difference in adding 8GB RAM later

Hello, I'm about to get a new PC and install Vista x64 on it. The
problem is that I'm only gonna get 4GB RAM now, and other 8GB later (in
a week or so).

Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
now and adding 8GB later ...

Thanks!

P.s.: I think it shouldn't make any difference, I just want to be sure
(perhaps x64 is any different, no idea , so I need to check).

--
suga81
Steve Thackery

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
> Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
> now and adding 8GB later ...

No, you can add the extra memory any time you like. As soon as it is
installed, Vista will see it and use it.

SteveT

John Barnett MVP

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
It doesn't make any difference when you install it. Most new PCs come with a
set amount of RAM and the user, usually, increases it at a later date. If
you were using 32 Bit Vista I would say, don't bother, but as you are using
64 Bit then the additional memory can only make things even better.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"suga81" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I'm about to get a new PC and install Vista x64 on it. The
> problem is that I'm only gonna get 4GB RAM now, and other 8GB later (in
> a week or so).
>
> Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
> now and adding 8GB later ...
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.s.: I think it shouldn't make any difference, I just want to be sure
> (perhaps x64 is any different, no idea , so I need to check).
>

> --
> suga81

suga81

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later

Thanks guys, just as I thought.
Had to make sure there isn't any performance difference ...

--
suga81
Victek

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
> Thanks guys, just as I thought.
> Had to make sure there isn't any performance difference ...
>

> --

One setting that changes when you add more ram is the recommended page file
size. If the page file is set to "Automatically manage page file for all
drives" then you don't have to do anything. If you prefer to manually enter
minimum and maximum amounts then you will want to change these after adding
the additional ram.

Mark H

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
Make sure your motherboard will support 12GB memory.
While Vista may support up to 128GB, most motherboards are limited to 8GB or
16GB.

"suga81" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, I'm about to get a new PC and install Vista x64 on it. The
> problem is that I'm only gonna get 4GB RAM now, and other 8GB later (in
> a week or so).
>
> Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
> now and adding 8GB later ...
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.s.: I think it shouldn't make any difference, I just want to be sure
> (perhaps x64 is any different, no idea , so I need to check).
>

> --
> suga81

John Barnett MVP

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
You're Welcome

> Thanks guys, just as I thought.
> Had to make sure there isn't any performance difference ...
>

> --
> suga81

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:31:09 -0600, suga81 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

> Hello, I'm about to get a new PC and install Vista x64 on it. The
> problem is that I'm only gonna get 4GB RAM now, and other 8GB later (in
> a week or so).
>
> Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
> now and adding 8GB later ...

No, no difference.

What makes you think you should have 12GB instead of 4GB? How much RAM
you need depends on what apps you run, but most people would see
little or no performance increase by going from 4GB to 12GB.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Mick Murphy

RE: any difference in adding 8GB RAM later
You don't say what version you are installing.
Check your 64bit version:

Windows Vista Home Basic - 8 GB of RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium - 16 GB of RAM
Windows Vista Business - 128 GB of RAM or more
Windows Vista Enterprise - 128 GB of RAM or more
Windows Vista Ultimate - 128 GB of RAM or more
--
Mad Mike

"suga81" wrote:

> Hello, I'm about to get a new PC and install Vista x64 on it. The
> problem is that I'm only gonna get 4GB RAM now, and other 8GB later (in
> a week or so).
>
> Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
> now and adding 8GB later ...
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.s.: I think it shouldn't make any difference, I just want to be sure
> (perhaps x64 is any different, no idea , so I need to check).
>

> --
> suga81

suga81

Ken Blake, MVP;901549 Wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:31:09 -0600, suga81 <guest@xxxxxx-email.com>
> wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hello, I'm about to get a new PC and install Vista x64 on it. The
> > > problem is that I'm only gonna get 4GB RAM now, and other 8GB later

> > (in
> > > a week or so).
> > >
> > > Is there any difference between installing whole 12GB at once, or 4GB
> > > now and adding 8GB later ... > > No, no difference.

> What makes you think you should have 12GB instead of 4GB? How much
> RAM
> you need depends on what apps you run, but most people would see
> little or no performance increase by going from 4GB to 12GB.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I estimate that mostly I'll be using somewhere up to 8GB of RAM, but a
bit more can't hurt.
I'll be doing some pretty heavy multi-tasking. Just to illustrate: my
setup will include 2x30" LCD screens & probably also one 20". And
I'll be running all kinds of work-related stuff on them, some using lots
of RAM.

--
suga81