cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

ripsnort

cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

I'm another one of those joyous persons who have a cpu fan hike, not in
price, but just spinning up so fast, I fear this laptop is about to roar
into orbit.
This problem developed this past weekend for no apparent reason,
although there obviously has to be one.
I believe it to be software related, but for the life of me (or for the
laptop of me) cannot narrow it down to what the culprit it.

The cpu goes from 1% up to 50% then down again to 1-2% and up and down
it goes!!!

I'm using a Toshiba laptop P200 with Vista Home Premium Service Pak 1.

Is there such a thing as a well known fix for this type of thing ...
I'll appreciate your help with this.

--
ripsnort
Mick Murphy

RE: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious
Right-click on the Taskbar>Task Manager>see what processes are going.
--
Mad Mike

"ripsnort" wrote:

> I'm another one of those joyous persons who have a cpu fan hike, not in
> price, but just spinning up so fast, I fear this laptop is about to roar
> into orbit.
> This problem developed this past weekend for no apparent reason,
> although there obviously has to be one.
> I believe it to be software related, but for the life of me (or for the
> laptop of me) cannot narrow it down to what the culprit it.
>
> The cpu goes from 1% up to 50% then down again to 1-2% and up and down
> it goes!!!
>
> I'm using a Toshiba laptop P200 with Vista Home Premium Service Pak 1.
>

> Is there such a thing as a well known fix for this type of thing ...
> I'll appreciate your help with this.
>

> --
> ripsnort

ripsnort

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

Guys, it's ok ... take your time and type out what you have to say very
slowly so we on this end can understand what you are trying to convey.
Up to this point, it appears you've not a whole lot up your sleeve, but
don't be embarrased --- it's ok.

If someone new happens to light upon this skill testing question,
please advise. Thanks!

--
ripsnort
Brian the King

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

I'm not sure I completely understand your problem.. you are saying that
the fan randomly moves from a slow setting to a fast one? Is the fan
making excessive noise, or is it just a problem with the speed at which
the fan is spinning? Are you seeing spikes in processor usage, and the
fan is following the spikes?

--
Brian the King
ripsnort

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

Sorry that you didn't get that posting(s) Brian --- in your words, the
fan is following the spikes. As stated in my first posting, the cpu is
roaring from 1% usage to 40 - 60% usage. For the life of me, I can
understand what is doing this, for I can't think of any programs added
recently.
All was normal up till last weekend --- for some weird and wonderful
reason, I'm thinking Registry Mechanic might have titled something, but
when I did the Restore, still nothing changed.
I tried to do a System Restore, but I kept getting an error at that
point, that wouldn't allow me to go back before the problem began.

Say on O wise one if you've advice

--
ripsnort
Brian the King

ripsnort;901633 Wrote:
> Sorry that you didn't get that posting(s) Brian --- in your words, the
> fan is following the spikes. As stated in my first posting, the cpu is
> roaring from 1% usage to 40 - 60% usage. For the life of me, I can
> understand what is doing this, for I can't think of any programs added
> recently...

Ok I understand what you mean now.. If you go to the task manager and
organize the processes by CPU usage are you able to see what exactly is
using the processor when these spikes occur? Or is it unclear what
causes the spikes as you watch this list?

'[image: http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/1053/fanyq4.png]'
(http://imageshack.us)

ps don't anyone even ask why I have 96 processes open. Yes there is a
reason

--
Brian the King
ripsnort

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

Here's what goes Brian --- I see Opera only is only using 204, 624
memory / I see that Norton 360 is going back and forth a bit but not
very high and not very much.
The svchost.exe is a mere 86,600 --- these are what is presently
standing out to me.
From a professional perspective, say on sir ---

--
ripsnort
Brian the King

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

I believe you are looking at the memory usage, we are more interested in
processor usage. Click on 'CPU' box I circled in that picture so it
organizes the process from highest CPU usage to lowest CPU usage.

When the box near the bottom that reads 'CPU Usage: #%' spikes up to
50% or whatever the number may be, try and see which process is now on
top of the list [which should be constantly reorganizing itself].

--
Brian the King
ripsnort

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

Ok, sorry about that. What I've watched go up just a bit is Diskkeeper,
but my question is --- why now? Why hadn't it been doing it before.

I'm off to a meeting, but I'll watch this again and see what happens.
I'll get back to you in a bit and thank you a million times for your
help. I'll touch basis with you shortly and let you know what happens.
Thanks Brian!

--
ripsnort
ripsnort

Re: cpu fan roaring up fast and furious

cpu #'s --- up to 20 while cpu usage at bottom is 14-19% --- might
change, but again I'll let you know later!
Let me know what you think.

--
ripsnort