slow startup Vista

kris.vandevijver@gmail.com

slow startup Vista
Hi,

I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
score within my spec group.

When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).

My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
you guys think about this?

Thanks,
Kris

Dennis Evans

Re: slow startup Vista
My system takes less than 2 minutes to fully boot. I am running a Pentium IV
2.4 with 1GB of Ram, 320GB HDD, ATI Radeon 9550 256MB Graphics Card, also
using Trend Internet Security 2007.
Vista Ultimate. Your system is taking much too long considering your
specifications.

Dennis
<kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1175846049.973915.18290@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
> an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
> Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
> Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
> Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
> check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
> score within my spec group.
>
> When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
> my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).
>
> My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
> considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
> you guys think about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVT?=

Re: slow startup Vista
I recently I had a similar problem with Vista Premium. I found the problem
was a process "AWService" hanging. You can identify this by looking at in
"The Problem and Solution" section of the system perfomance catagory in the
control panels. You might also look under Processes and see if you have one
named awservice. By setting this process to manual, I eliminated the hang
which speeded up the load by almost 50%

"Dennis Evans" wrote:

> My system takes less than 2 minutes to fully boot. I am running a Pentium IV
> 2.4 with 1GB of Ram, 320GB HDD, ATI Radeon 9550 256MB Graphics Card, also
> using Trend Internet Security 2007.
> Vista Ultimate. Your system is taking much too long considering your
> specifications.
>
> Dennis
> <kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1175846049.973915.18290@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
> > an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
> > Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
> > Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
> > Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
> > check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
> > score within my spec group.
> >
> > When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
> > my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).
> >
> > My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
> > considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
> > you guys think about this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kris

DP

Re: slow startup Vista
In my mind, it all depends on what else is loading at startup. Do you have
any idea?
Computer mfgrs put so much crap on machines that load at startup.

I have a long startup time with XP x64, but my startup with Vista x64 is
pretty good in my book, definitely much better than with XP x64. Note: I
dual boot, so both of these startups are on the same machine.

<kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1175846049.973915.18290@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
> an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
> Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
> Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
> Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
> check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
> score within my spec group.
>
> When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
> my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).
>
> My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
> considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
> you guys think about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

=?Utf-8?B?QXNoT3o=?=

RE: slow startup Vista
Disable all non essential items @ startup via msconfig, see if that makes a
difference for you. If so then add items back in 1-3 at a time until you
experiencethe slow down again and identify the item causing problems at
startup.

Regards
kris.vandevijver@gmail.com

Re: slow startup Vista
I have found the cause for the extreme slow startup!!
==> SUPERFETCH! Although Superfetch was created to speed things up,
on some systems it is reported to slow things down while starting
up. I save a little more than 4 minutes now when booting after
disabling the superfetch service in Vista!! Less than two minutes to
boot and startup and use my first application!!

-KRis

nweissma

Re: slow startup Vista
please tell me how to set the awservice manually.

I just learned about this AWServ.exe, and its typical "hanging" during
startup.

--

--Fool On The Hill
"SteveS" <SteveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently I had a similar problem with Vista Premium. I found the problem
> was a process "AWService" hanging. You can identify this by looking at in
> "The Problem and Solution" section of the system perfomance catagory in
> the
> control panels. You might also look under Processes and see if you have
> one
> named awservice. By setting this process to manual, I eliminated the hang
> which speeded up the load by almost 50%
>
> "Dennis Evans" wrote:
>
>> My system takes less than 2 minutes to fully boot. I am running a Pentium
>> IV
>> 2.4 with 1GB of Ram, 320GB HDD, ATI Radeon 9550 256MB Graphics Card, also
>> using Trend Internet Security 2007.
>> Vista Ultimate. Your system is taking much too long considering your
>> specifications.
>>
>> Dennis
>> <kris.vandevijver@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1175846049.973915.18290@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
>> > an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
>> > Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
>> > Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
>> > Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
>> > check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
>> > score within my spec group.
>> >
>> > When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
>> > my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).
>> >
>> > My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
>> > considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
>> > you guys think about this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Kris

matt

RE: slow startup Vista

"kris.vandevijver@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
> an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
> Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
> Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
> Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
> check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
> score within my spec group.
>
> When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
> my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).
>
> My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
> considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
> you guys think about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

matt

RE: slow startup Vista
What is the solution to the problem of AWService hanging? How do you
set it to manual?

"kris.vandevijver@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a fairly decent machine: a T2400 duo core with 2gb of ram and
> an ATI x1600 mobile video card. Recently i upgraded from XP to Vista
> Premium. I installed a 2gb SD card to be used by ReadyBoost and
> Diskeeper is keeping my harddisks defragged. Trend Micro Internet
> Security is keeping my pc free from malware and virusses. When i
> check performance with the products from Futuremark, i have a high
> score within my spec group.
>
> When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts
> my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever).
>
> My question: is this normal? It seems like a mighty long time,
> considering the specs and the good maintenance of the system. What do
> you guys think about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

Huib

Re: slow startup Vista
Hi,
I am not an experts but i do not understand why using third party SW as
Diskeeper.
All is available within Vista so why not using it (agreed the
defragmentation is not that friendly).
I had to do the defragmentation only once and know it is telling me that
there is no need for it.
The only thing i changed was in the Defender: not to check the start-up SW.
Further i am cleanning regular the tmp-files, internet files and so on by
using CCleaner and i have no problems at all.

The start-up is a little slower than by my prevouis ME but for sure
acceptable taking into account the builded-in securities.

Huib