Vista system file corruption and sfc problem

=?Utf-8?B?bWl0dmFo?=

Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
I’ve a Vista Ultimate installed on a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. The problem
started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone War
(1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various scanning
programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are corrupted. I
tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after starting
the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m able to
boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things are not
working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop right click
menu.

Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole bunch
of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time to
look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.

Please help!
JimR

Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
"mitvah" <mitvah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I’ve a Vista Ultimate installed on a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. The
> problem
> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone
> War
> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
> scanning
> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are corrupted. I
> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after starting
> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
>
> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
>
> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m able to
> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things are
> not
> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop right
> click
> menu.
>
> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
> bunch
> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time to
> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
>
> Please help!

If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a repair
install of Vista.

--
Jim

Rock

Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote

> "mitvah" <mitvah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> I’ve a Vista Ultimate installed on a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. The
>> problem
>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone
>> War
>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
>> scanning
>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are corrupted.
>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
>> starting
>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
>>
>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
>>
>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m able
>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things are
>> not
>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop right
>> click
>> menu.
>>
>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
>> bunch
>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time to
>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
>>
>> Please help!

> If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
> repair install of Vista.

I'm unsure of what you mean here. How do you do a repair install of Vista?
An in place upgrade that was available in XP was not carried over to Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote
>
>> "mitvah" <mitvah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>> I’ve a Vista Ultimate installed on a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. The
>>> problem
>>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone
>>> War
>>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
>>> scanning
>>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are corrupted.
>>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
>>> starting
>>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
>>>
>>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
>>>
>>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m able
>>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
>>> are not
>>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop right
>>> click
>>> menu.
>>>
>>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
>>> bunch
>>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time
>>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
>>>
>>> Please help!

>> If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
>> repair install of Vista.

> I'm unsure of what you mean here. How do you do a repair install of
> Vista? An in place upgrade that was available in XP was not carried over
> to Vista.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

If you start the Vista DVD while in Vista, begin the installation,you will
be offered the ability to "upgrade". An upgrade over a current install of
Vista has the same effect as a repair install in XP in that it will install
Vista while keeping intact your documents, settings and programs.

--
Jim

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
Hello,
Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
store which is causing this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com>
|>Subject: Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
|>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
|>
|>"mitvah" <mitvah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|>> I’ve a Vista Ultimate installed on a DELL Latitude D620 laptop. The
|>> problem
|>> started a few weeks ago when Symantec Antivirus reported catching Clone
|>> War
|>> (1) on my computer. I’ve since done a few clean scans using various
|>> scanning
|>> programs but some system files seems to have been lost or are
corrupted. I
|>> tried running sfc /scannow under admin cmd window and also after
starting
|>> the recovery cmd window, but got the same message both time:
|>>
|>> Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
|>>
|>> Even the automated recovery option to fix boot problem failed. I’m
able to
|>> boot up the windows and its generally funtinal but quite a few things
are
|>> not
|>> working e.g. I can’t open the personalize window from the desktop
right
|>> click
|>> menu.
|>>
|>> Unitl late last week I was able to run the sfc and it reported a whole
|>> bunch
|>> of problems but did not automatically fix anything. I didn't have time
|>> look into manually fixing things but now even that's not working.
|>>
|>> Please help!
|>

|>If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
repair
|>install of Vista.
|>
|>--
|>Jim

=?Utf-8?B?bWl0dmFo?=

Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
Thanks Jim & Darrell!

I like the reinstall idea and I'm in the process of tyring it. I started the
install from within Windows environment but didn't get the upgrade option
first time as it needs ~8GB free space on the system drive. I've Vista
installed on a 20GB partition but only had ~4GB free, so I'm working on
cleaning up some space but it seems to be a tough order at this point. I'll
post the results once I'm able to create the space.

Regards,

> Thanks Jim & Darrell!
>
> I like the reinstall idea and I'm in the process of tyring it. I started
> the
> install from within Windows environment but didn't get the upgrade option
> first time as it needs ~8GB free space on the system drive. I've Vista
> installed on a 20GB partition but only had ~4GB free, so I'm working on
> cleaning up some space but it seems to be a tough order at this point.
> I'll
> post the results once I'm able to create the space.
>
> Regards,
>

> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Right now a reinstall or upgrade may be the best choice.
>> From the looks of the log file the prblem appears to be corruption in the
>> store which is causing this.
>> Thanks,
>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

>> rights
>> --------------------

>> Clone
>> corrupted. I
>> starting

>> operation.

>> able to
>> are
>> right

>> whole
>> time

>> repair

What I've done on small partitions is to delete hiberfil.sys, turn off
system restore, and move the page file to another partition. That should be
good for about 4gb.

--
Jim

Rock

Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote
>>
>>> "mitvah" <mitvah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>>> If you are sure the system is clean, the quickest solution might be a
>>> repair install of Vista.

>> I'm unsure of what you mean here. How do you do a repair install of
>> Vista? An in place upgrade that was available in XP was not carried over
>> to Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> If you start the Vista DVD while in Vista, begin the installation,you will
> be offered the ability to "upgrade". An upgrade over a current install of
> Vista has the same effect as a repair install in XP in that it will
> install Vista while keeping intact your documents, settings and programs.

Jim have you actually done that? I read one report where it didn't work.
But that was a long time ago, I don't recollect the context, but they had
problems with the installation after trying it. I have not seen any
definitive information on this process.

Chad Harris also has mentioned this in a recent post and I have a query to
him about it. Thanks for following up on the question.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem
Hi Darrell, can you confirm whether one can do a repair install, buy
reinstalling Vista on top of itself to fix problems as in the in place
upgrade in XP?

Thanks

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> wrote

> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote
>
>> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote

>>> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote

>>> I'm unsure of what you mean here. How do you do a repair install of
>>> Vista? An in place upgrade that was available in XP was not carried over
>>> to Vista.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

>> If you start the Vista DVD while in Vista, begin the installation,you
>> will be offered the ability to "upgrade". An upgrade over a current
>> install of Vista has the same effect as a repair install in XP in that it
>> will install Vista while keeping intact your documents, settings and
>> programs.

> Jim have you actually done that? I read one report where it didn't work.
> But that was a long time ago, I don't recollect the context, but they had
> problems with the installation after trying it. I have not seen any
> definitive information on this process.
>
> Chad Harris also has mentioned this in a recent post and I have a query to
> him about it. Thanks for following up on the question.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

I have actually done this on two computers running Vista Ultimate and it
worked just like a repair install in XP. I did use a full version of Vista
if that makes a difference. I'm glad I didn't read that this didn't work or
I might not have tried it.

--
Jim