Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hpbmFwZWFybA==?=

Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?
I have Vista Home Premium, and I have been trying to do CHKDSK (auto repair
and scan for bad sectors) on my C: drive (main drive) by going thru the Tools
tab under Properties -- nothing is wrong with the drive itself, but as kind
of a maintance thing...

The CHKDSK starts fine (after I reboot, but not in safe mode), but it just
hangs at the very beginning of Stage 1 of 5 (it has hung at 1% before, and
today I got to 4%) -- it has never gone beyond 4% of Stage 1 after more than
2 hours or so of running (it basically sat at 4% for the entire time). I
also notice the lights aren't lid or blinking either (the only light on is
the power light). I can't stop the disk checking and the only thing I can do
is a "hard" power down (pressing on power button for 5 sec.).

After I restart the computer, cancel the CHKDSK and get back into Windows, I
am able to do just plain file disk check (no repair, no scanning for bad
sectors) successfully. And so far CHKDSK has not found any problem...

Back in the days of XP SP2, I remember CHKDSK at reboot ran quickly from
stages 1 thru 3 (of 5), and even when it got to stages 4 & 5, however slowly
it ran, but I could still see some progress...

So is there something going on that prevents CHKDSK to go beyond the first
few % of Stage 1? or is that normal for Vista CHKDSK (repair & scan for bad
sectors) to take a VERY LONG time to go through even the Stage 1? How long
should it take for CHKDSK to run (generally speaking, for a 80G hard drive
with 50G free space, 1G RAM)?

By the way, is there a way to stop CHKDSK after it has already started (at
reboot, when there is no command prompt or anything?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

=?Utf-8?B?bW94NTc1?=

RE: Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

"chinapearl" wrote:

> I have Vista Home Premium, and I have been trying to do CHKDSK (auto repair
> and scan for bad sectors) on my C: drive (main drive) by going thru the Tools
> tab under Properties -- nothing is wrong with the drive itself, but as kind
> of a maintance thing...
>
> The CHKDSK starts fine (after I reboot, but not in safe mode), but it just
> hangs at the very beginning of Stage 1 of 5 (it has hung at 1% before, and
> today I got to 4%) -- it has never gone beyond 4% of Stage 1 after more than
> 2 hours or so of running (it basically sat at 4% for the entire time). I
> also notice the lights aren't lid or blinking either (the only light on is
> the power light). I can't stop the disk checking and the only thing I can do
> is a "hard" power down (pressing on power button for 5 sec.).
>
> After I restart the computer, cancel the CHKDSK and get back into Windows, I
> am able to do just plain file disk check (no repair, no scanning for bad
> sectors) successfully. And so far CHKDSK has not found any problem...
>
> Back in the days of XP SP2, I remember CHKDSK at reboot ran quickly from
> stages 1 thru 3 (of 5), and even when it got to stages 4 & 5, however slowly
> it ran, but I could still see some progress...
>
> So is there something going on that prevents CHKDSK to go beyond the first
> few % of Stage 1? or is that normal for Vista CHKDSK (repair & scan for bad
> sectors) to take a VERY LONG time to go through even the Stage 1? How long
> should it take for CHKDSK to run (generally speaking, for a 80G hard drive
> with 50G free space, 1G RAM)?
>
> By the way, is there a way to stop CHKDSK after it has already started (at
> reboot, when there is no command prompt or anything?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

=?Utf-8?B?bW94NTc1?=

RE: Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?
I too have the exact same problem with a near new install. I recently
re-installed vista to see if there was a software conflict, but the problem
still exists. I am running a HP Dv2221us laptop with the usual HP and Vista
programs, as well as, Norton Internet Security.

Thanks

"chinapearl" wrote:

> I have Vista Home Premium, and I have been trying to do CHKDSK (auto repair
> and scan for bad sectors) on my C: drive (main drive) by going thru the Tools
> tab under Properties -- nothing is wrong with the drive itself, but as kind
> of a maintance thing...
>
> The CHKDSK starts fine (after I reboot, but not in safe mode), but it just
> hangs at the very beginning of Stage 1 of 5 (it has hung at 1% before, and
> today I got to 4%) -- it has never gone beyond 4% of Stage 1 after more than
> 2 hours or so of running (it basically sat at 4% for the entire time). I
> also notice the lights aren't lid or blinking either (the only light on is
> the power light). I can't stop the disk checking and the only thing I can do
> is a "hard" power down (pressing on power button for 5 sec.).
>
> After I restart the computer, cancel the CHKDSK and get back into Windows, I
> am able to do just plain file disk check (no repair, no scanning for bad
> sectors) successfully. And so far CHKDSK has not found any problem...
>
> Back in the days of XP SP2, I remember CHKDSK at reboot ran quickly from
> stages 1 thru 3 (of 5), and even when it got to stages 4 & 5, however slowly
> it ran, but I could still see some progress...
>
> So is there something going on that prevents CHKDSK to go beyond the first
> few % of Stage 1? or is that normal for Vista CHKDSK (repair & scan for bad
> sectors) to take a VERY LONG time to go through even the Stage 1? How long
> should it take for CHKDSK to run (generally speaking, for a 80G hard drive
> with 50G free space, 1G RAM)?
>
> By the way, is there a way to stop CHKDSK after it has already started (at
> reboot, when there is no command prompt or anything?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

mallian

Re: Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

I also have the same problem but mine hangs at 38% in stage 2 and have
to do a hard reboot and cancel CHKDSK when it starts.I have a Mesh
desktop with an AMD Athlon64x2 4200+, Vista home premium, Asus M2N-SLI
De Luxe MOBO, 4GB Ram, 320GB SATA HD, nVidia Ge Force 7600 GT Graphics
card.
It runs OK once I've cancelled CHKDSK but I have backed up my important
files to an external HD just in case.

--
mallian