Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?=

Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever
I just installed Vista on the spare partition of my XP developemnt box
(Atholon 64 X2 4200 w/ 1GB) The old system was running rock solid. The Vista
system has had a couple of unxpected reboots. The big problem for me is that
a shutdown takes 10 or more minutes and often doesn't complete. Then I have
to powered it down.

Running on all Vista drivers - out of the box. Office 2003, IIS7, SQL
Express SP1, VWD SP1. No funny stuff.

Are other seeing anthing similar? Any troubleshooting ideas?

Michael

Re: Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever
to see if Vista itself detects a problem:

Control Panel
System and Maintenance
Performance information and tools
Advanced tools in left pane

Michael

"DaveS" <DaveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed Vista on the spare partition of my XP developemnt box
> (Atholon 64 X2 4200 w/ 1GB) The old system was running rock solid. The
> Vista
> system has had a couple of unxpected reboots. The big problem for me is
> that
> a shutdown takes 10 or more minutes and often doesn't complete. Then I
> have
> to powered it down.
>
> Running on all Vista drivers - out of the box. Office 2003, IIS7, SQL
> Express SP1, VWD SP1. No funny stuff.
>
> Are other seeing anthing similar? Any troubleshooting ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?=

Re: Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever
Very impressive report! However....
Recommends defrag - I have Vista's auto defrag running
Recommends larger paging file - I have Vista managing it

A closer personal look shows that Google Destop's initial indexing seemed to
overwhelm the stats used to calculate data for the report.

There wasn't any clue about my show shutdown. I have done more research that
Logiotech has a Vista kit for my webcam. I had been using the drivers that
came with Vista and did catch one "LVPrcSrv quit running" dialog box, so I
have upgraged that software

"Michael" wrote:

> to see if Vista itself detects a problem:
>
> Control Panel
> System and Maintenance
> Performance information and tools
> Advanced tools in left pane
>
> Michael
>
> "DaveS" <DaveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just installed Vista on the spare partition of my XP developemnt box
> > (Atholon 64 X2 4200 w/ 1GB) The old system was running rock solid. The
> > Vista
> > system has had a couple of unxpected reboots. The big problem for me is
> > that
> > a shutdown takes 10 or more minutes and often doesn't complete. Then I
> > have
> > to powered it down.
> >
> > Running on all Vista drivers - out of the box. Office 2003, IIS7, SQL
> > Express SP1, VWD SP1. No funny stuff.
> >
> > Are other seeing anthing similar? Any troubleshooting ideas?

Michael

Re: Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever
FYI
On my Vista Home Premium, one partion C: 455GB
Virtual Memory shows
Automatic Manage
Minimum 16 MB
Recommended 3067 MB
Currently allocated 2345 MB

Does the defrag show a sucessfull run in the last week? (Mine is set up for
once/week)

Personnal note: I have stoped using Google Desktop Search (used it and was
happy with XP).
The included search with Vista seems to be sufficient (the XP search was
lame).

> Very impressive report! However....
> Recommends defrag - I have Vista's auto defrag running
> Recommends larger paging file - I have Vista managing it
>
> A closer personal look shows that Google Destop's initial indexing seemed
> overwhelm the stats used to calculate data for the report.
>

> There wasn't any clue about my show shutdown. I have done more research
> that
> Logiotech has a Vista kit for my webcam. I had been using the drivers that
> came with Vista and did catch one "LVPrcSrv quit running" dialog box, so I
> have upgraged that software
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> to see if Vista itself detects a problem:
>>
>> Control Panel
>> System and Maintenance
>> Performance information and tools
>> Advanced tools in left pane
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "DaveS" <DaveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just installed Vista on the spare partition of my XP developemnt box
>> > (Atholon 64 X2 4200 w/ 1GB) The old system was running rock solid. The
>> > Vista
>> > system has had a couple of unxpected reboots. The big problem for me
>> > is
>> > that
>> > a shutdown takes 10 or more minutes and often doesn't complete. Then I
>> > have
>> > to powered it down.
>> >
>> > Running on all Vista drivers - out of the box. Office 2003, IIS7, SQL
>> > Express SP1, VWD SP1. No funny stuff.
>> >
>> > Are other seeing anthing similar? Any troubleshooting ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVM=?=

Re: Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever
Update:
Derag had run, but I moved it to daily
Pagefile was auto but only 1500, so I bumped it up to 2500
Purged event files, hoping that this would get rid of the data gathered
during the initial Google Desktop index and probably Vista's initial index.

BTW I use Google desktop because I have recovered so many acdidently deleted
files from its cache that I feel I own it loyality. I have no experience with
Vista's search yet.

Seeing the size of your paging file maybe I should have picked a bigger
number.

From the way Vista uses memory maybe I should buy more and some stock in a
memory company ;=}

Michael

Re: Vista Shutdown takes forever -- 10 min+ or forever
Using one of the monitor gadgets from Microsoft download, I show that most
of the time I am using about %30 of 2 MB of installed physical memory.
Expect that to go way up when I get around to doing some video editiong.