The infamous page fault message

ziah

The infamous page fault message

Yes, you've seen it time and time again. Now I've seen it. "Page fault
in nonpaged area". Blue screen of death. Minidumps. Rebooting. I've been
hit. Bad.

I've read about this on a lot of forums and apparently almost all
problems had something to do with hardware, and I'm about 90% sure mine
has nothing to do with it.

It all started when I was downloading an executable file -never mind
what it is- and after scanning it with my crap anti-virus software and
finding no problems with the file, I opened it. My computer sort of
freezes for a bit and then nothing happens. I assume the exe file was a
piece of crap so I tossed it into the recycling bin. After about 2
seconds later, I get the blue screen of death with the infamous "page
fault in nonpaged area" message and my computer reboots.

If I start Windows up normally, I manage to run Windows normally for
about 30 seconds before I get the blue screen and the same message
again. However, if I run it in safe mode, I get no problems (except for
the fact that I'm only running Windows with my core drivers and orginal
services and can practically do nothing).

So, basically, I opened a bad exe file and some viruses went into my
computer, and now I get the "page fault" error whenever I start Windows
up normally. OR, there could be something wrong with my hardware and it
just happened coincidently as I was executing a file, though I doubt
this.

So can anyone, please, tell me what you need from me(and how I can get
it) to resolve this problem! I'm not really good with computers so
please be nice and slow when explaining things to me. I'd really
appreciate the help!

--
ziah
pooch

Re: The infamous page fault message

Hi Ziah,

From reading your post it would seem to me that this program was not
fully installed when you decided to throw it in the bin.
Try doing this;
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...ow.html?filter[11]=Backup%20Restore
Followed by a scan with an Anti-Virus and Antispyware programme to be
sure.

Hope this helps

Pooch

--
pooch
ziah

Re: The infamous page fault message

Thanks for the reply, Pooch, but system restore has failed me. Could it
be that the program I was trying to install was, in fact, installed and
a virus is causing these shutdowns? If so, how do I remove it?

Oh, and I started Windows up in safe mode and opened up the task
manager. I saw a process running called csrss.exe. I've heard this could
be a system file AND could also be a strain of trojan. How do I tell if
it is which? And could this be the problem?

--
ziah
Charlie

Re: The infamous page fault message
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:10:58 -0600, ziah <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, Pooch, but system restore has failed me. Could it
>be that the program I was trying to install was, in fact, installed and
>a virus is causing these shutdowns? If so, how do I remove it?
>
>Oh, and I started Windows up in safe mode and opened up the task
>manager. I saw a process running called csrss.exe. I've heard this could
>be a system file AND could also be a strain of trojan. How do I tell if
>it is which? And could this be the problem?

I have two instances of that running. Odds are it's not a problem on
your system.

Still...

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...csrss.exe.html

Google any file you are unsure of.

ziah;896777 Wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Pooch, but system restore has failed me. Could it
> be that the program I was trying to install was, in fact, installed and
> a virus is causing these shutdowns? If so, how do I remove it?
>
> Oh, and I started Windows up in safe mode and opened up the task
> manager. I saw a process running called csrss.exe. I've heard this could
> be a system file AND could also be a strain of trojan. How do I tell if
> it is which? And could this be the problem?

Just to be on the safe side you could try replacing your antirus with
Avast and then running a scan.
You can also install and run a scan with Malwarebytes
Just have a look here for the downloads;
http://www.vistax64.com/software/115...ist-vista.html

If all else fails and you want to reinstall but do not have a dvd then
have a look here;
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...t-options.html
Follow the guide to No.3 And then select *Repair Your Computer *and
follow the instructions to do a complete system restore. Take note that
your computer will revert back to the day it was first used anything
after this day will be lost, so you will have to make backups.

--
pooch
ziah

Re: The infamous page fault message

OK, thanks a lot for all the help, guys! I really appreciate it!

--
ziah