System volume on disk is corrupt.

JoeDC2

System volume on disk is corrupt.

My computer was working fine for the past 4-5 months then all of a
sudden this morning it just...stopped. I went to log on every morning
like I usually do and I moved the mouse to see the screen, and nothing
but the cursor came up. So I restarted it. Then nothing loaded at all
except the screen with the bars going across. I had to go to school so I
just shut it off. I came home at 11:15 and thought I would try logging
on again. Again, I had the same problem. Then when I restarted again it
a startup repair came up. I looked at the details and it said "system
volume on disk is corrupt." It says it was repaired but when it loads
up, it just freezes after I wait for 2 min for everything thing on my
desktop to load up. The startup repair has run 2-3 times already and
hasn't worked. I have the vista cd's that came with the computer but not
the actually copy you would get from a store. Can anyone help?

--
JoeDC2
Mick Murphy

RE: System volume on disk is corrupt.
Try tapping F8 right at startup/Power on, and you will get a list of Startup
options.
Use UP arrow to go to Safe Mode> hit Enter.

Save your Data to CD/Flash Drive.
Also, then you could try to do a System restore to an earlier time before
problems.
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Or, reinstall from the Recovery disks.
--
Mad Mike

"JoeDC2" wrote:

> My computer was working fine for the past 4-5 months then all of a
> sudden this morning it just...stopped. I went to log on every morning
> like I usually do and I moved the mouse to see the screen, and nothing
> but the cursor came up. So I restarted it. Then nothing loaded at all
> except the screen with the bars going across. I had to go to school so I
> just shut it off. I came home at 11:15 and thought I would try logging
> on again. Again, I had the same problem. Then when I restarted again it
> a startup repair came up. I looked at the details and it said "system
> volume on disk is corrupt." It says it was repaired but when it loads
> up, it just freezes after I wait for 2 min for everything thing on my
> desktop to load up. The startup repair has run 2-3 times already and
> hasn't worked. I have the vista cd's that came with the computer but not
> the actually copy you would get from a store. Can anyone help?
>

> --
> JoeDC2

GTS

Re: System volume on disk is corrupt.
It is likely that your hard drive is failing. If you cannot boot to any
mode and you do not have a standard Vista media, perhaps you can borrow one
to boot to repair tools and run a drive scan. If failing it will need to
be replaced.
If you have files of importance to you they should be backed up. The hard
drive can be connected to another computer or a bootable operating system
used to access them. If you find these options too difficult, you may need
some professional help with this.
--

"JoeDC2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> My computer was working fine for the past 4-5 months then all of a
> sudden this morning it just...stopped. I went to log on every morning
> like I usually do and I moved the mouse to see the screen, and nothing
> but the cursor came up. So I restarted it. Then nothing loaded at all
> except the screen with the bars going across. I had to go to school so I
> just shut it off. I came home at 11:15 and thought I would try logging
> on again. Again, I had the same problem. Then when I restarted again it
> a startup repair came up. I looked at the details and it said "system
> volume on disk is corrupt." It says it was repaired but when it loads
> up, it just freezes after I wait for 2 min for everything thing on my
> desktop to load up. The startup repair has run 2-3 times already and
> hasn't worked. I have the vista cd's that came with the computer but not
> the actually copy you would get from a store. Can anyone help?
>

> --
> JoeDC2

JoeDC2

Re: System volume on disk is corrupt.

^Thanks, I will be taking it in. How do I connect it to another
computer?

--
JoeDC2
Big D

Re: System volume on disk is corrupt.
JoeDC2 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>^Thanks, I will be taking it in. How do I connect it to another
>computer?

It is apparent that you are over your head on this. Take it to a pro.
JoeDC2

Re: System volume on disk is corrupt.

Well, not really. I have done it before with a desktop(the whole hard
drive thing) but this is a laptop and I didn't know if it was any
different so I was just asking. Sorry I didn't mention that before.

--
JoeDC2
GTS

Re: System volume on disk is corrupt.
The simplest solution is a USB drive adapter.
See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812163001 for
example. (this particular one is a great value, but there are many around).
This requires removing the laptop drive to connect it.
--

> Well, not really. I have done it before with a desktop(the whole hard
> drive thing) but this is a laptop and I didn't know if it was any
> different so I was just asking. Sorry I didn't mention that before.
>

> --
> JoeDC2

gusthefourth

Re: System volume on disk is corrupt.

just had the same problem and i do not have any disks i couldnt even
load my desktop because it would just keep going to the same screen that
tried to fix my **** which it never did and it was just an ongoing
process. what i ended up doing is opening desktop in safe mode where
everything was all huge and tried to do a system restore but when the
computer tried to restart itself it was right back to the same **** this
is all you gotta do hold f8 to bring up the safe mode options and i
think the option was like five options down it is a safe mode system
recovery click that and the computer will boot up in safe mode but it
will be normal size icons then go to restart computer and it should be
fine thats what i did and it has been working fine ever since dont think
its a hardware or hard drive problem and i wasnt sure how long it was
when my **** got ****ed up so the first time so when i opened the safe
mode screen and tried the system restore i changed the recovery date
back about 5 days even though it didnt work that time, when i did the
safe mode system recovery it did use the date that i had typed in. hope
this helps.

--
gusthefourth