complete freeze/lockup

Jokeface

complete freeze/lockup

Hello everyone,
I've been using my computer for months now and was very happy with it,
recently I've been getting lockups at least once a day random times, I
am unsure of what is causing this, I have to hard restart/turnoff the
PC, which can corrupt my system.

I run window updates often, so im sure it isnt drivers or anything
plus installed every update ASUS had on their website for my
motherboard. I also clean & defrag both of my hard disks often. Ran
diagnostics on ram too, no problems found...

Specs are as follows:
My OS is Vista 32 Home premium SP1
Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-VM
2GB of ram
Geforce 8600 GT
(anything missing?)

I think that the tutorial about restoring the User folders (my music,
pictures etc) may have something to do with this, since I had problems
the 1st time missing music and a duplicate picture folder. I used the
manual regedit option which worked, only after 3 restarts with boot
failures and an inactive graphics card, but it worked later on. It could
be this.

Any Ideas? Could it be registry corruption?

--
Jokeface
scrooge

Re: complete freeze/lockup

what's your temps like?
maybe your system is overheating.
scrooge

--
scrooge

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP P35 ATX Intel
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.00 GHz processor
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply
Malke

Re: complete freeze/lockup
Jokeface wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I've been using my computer for months now and was very happy with it,
> recently I've been getting lockups at least once a day random times, I
> am unsure of what is causing this, I have to hard restart/turnoff the
> PC, which can corrupt my system.
>
> I run window updates often, so im sure it isnt drivers or anything
> plus installed every update ASUS had on their website for my
> motherboard. I also clean & defrag both of my hard disks often. Ran
> diagnostics on ram too, no problems found...
>
> Specs are as follows:
> My OS is Vista 32 Home premium SP1
> Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-VM
> 2GB of ram
> Geforce 8600 GT
> (anything missing?)
>
> I think that the tutorial about restoring the User folders (my music,
> pictures etc) may have something to do with this, since I had problems
> the 1st time missing music and a duplicate picture folder. I used the
> manual regedit option which worked, only after 3 restarts with boot
> failures and an inactive graphics card, but it worked later on. It could
> be this.
>
> Any Ideas? Could it be registry corruption?

Random lockups such as you describe are rarely caused by software. They are
usually caused by failing hardware and/or overheating. Do some hardware
troubleshooting:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts with
known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data backed up
before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Jokeface

Re: complete freeze/lockup

Thanks for the reply,
I dont think it's overheating, I've been playing a game for 2 hours and
no lockup. Usualy it happends shortly after startup, and sometimes later
on. Today I only had one lockup.
Ill test my hardware and see what happends.

--
Jokeface
hafizahmad

complete freeze/lockup
Here are some tips about getting better performance from Windows Vista.

http://tweak-vista.blogspot.com/sear...%20Performance

Malke

Re: complete freeze/lockup
hafizahmad wrote:

Spam. Reported.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

hafizahmad

Re: complete freeze/lockup
Windows Vista : Quick tips to increase your productivity
Windows Vista might be flop to an extent but some of the features present in you might not find any other OS. You can create symlinks, Use checkboxes to select folders, You can merge two folders into one ( Virtually ) , copy path of any file on just a right click and lot more. Take this points as Vista Tips or Tweaks as it suits but they sure can increase your performance. I got this laptop from my friend which has Vista installed and tested around some and explored. Here is a list of features some you don't know some you might have known how to use them.

There are hundreds of tweaks to boost Windows Vista performance.......read More