Very slow boot up

no spam

Very slow boot up
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard, Intel E6600 C2D COU, 2 gig 800MHz
DDR2 ram, Adaptec 2120S SCSI adapter with 73gig 10K Seagate SCSI drive (for
apps and system), and one 400gig SATA2 drive for data. The OS is Vista
Ultimate. My problem is that it takes an age to boot (almost two minutes).
When the machine initially starts, the motherboard's bios details are shown
then the SCSI card bios appears for approx 10 secs. However, when Vista
starts to load the PC seems to hang in the Vista logo for another 90 seconds
or so. When it does finally boot into Vista there are not problems. There
does not appear to be any driver issues in device manager nor have I been
able to detect any thing else that may cause this delay in booting. I have
another machine with a similar configuration (different motherboard though)
that seems to boot in a fraction of the time it takes for this PC.

Could someone put me on the right track to determine what the problem (if
any) could be?

Thank you,
Shane

Michael

Re: Very slow boot up
Shane,

Try:
Control Panel
System and Maintenance
Performance Information and tools
Advanced tools (left pane)
If Vista thinks it is taking a long time to boot the reason will appear near
the top of the screen

Michael

"no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard, Intel E6600 C2D COU, 2 gig
> 800MHz DDR2 ram, Adaptec 2120S SCSI adapter with 73gig 10K Seagate SCSI
> drive (for apps and system), and one 400gig SATA2 drive for data. The OS
> is Vista Ultimate. My problem is that it takes an age to boot (almost two
> minutes). When the machine initially starts, the motherboard's bios
> details are shown then the SCSI card bios appears for approx 10 secs.
> However, when Vista starts to load the PC seems to hang in the Vista logo
> for another 90 seconds or so. When it does finally boot into Vista there
> are not problems. There does not appear to be any driver issues in device
> manager nor have I been able to detect any thing else that may cause this
> delay in booting. I have another machine with a similar configuration
> (different motherboard though) that seems to boot in a fraction of the
> time it takes for this PC.
>
> Could someone put me on the right track to determine what the problem (if
> any) could be?
>
> Thank you,
> Shane

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

RE: Very slow boot up
Hello Shane,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I'd first like to thanks Michael for his kindly input. You
may first check if there is a report following Michael's suggestions.

Please make sure if all the devices are completely compatible with Windows
Vista. Some slow performance issues may be caused by certain incompatible
devices.

Meanwhile, if you have enabled Windows Aero visual effect, please
temporarily disable it to monitor the issue. For more information about how
to improve performance in Windows Vista, you may use the following key
words to search in Windows Help and Support.
Ways to improve your computer's performance

In addition, you may test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still
occurs in this mode.
Start your computer in safe mode
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...7b93-4079-a48a
-5c58eec904a11033.mspx>

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

--------------------
| From: "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Very slow boot up
| Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:11:43 +1000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
|
| Hello,
|
| I have a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard, Intel E6600 C2D COU, 2 gig
800MHz
| DDR2 ram, Adaptec 2120S SCSI adapter with 73gig 10K Seagate SCSI drive
(for
| apps and system), and one 400gig SATA2 drive for data. The OS is Vista
| Ultimate. My problem is that it takes an age to boot (almost two
minutes).
| When the machine initially starts, the motherboard's bios details are
shown
| then the SCSI card bios appears for approx 10 secs. However, when
Vista
| starts to load the PC seems to hang in the Vista logo for another 90
seconds
| or so. When it does finally boot into Vista there are not problems.
There
| does not appear to be any driver issues in device manager nor have I been
| able to detect any thing else that may cause this delay in booting. I
have
| another machine with a similar configuration (different motherboard
though)
| that seems to boot in a fraction of the time it takes for this PC.
|
| Could someone put me on the right track to determine what the problem (if
| any) could be?
|
| Thank you,
| Shane

no spam

Re: Very slow boot up
Thanks for the reply Michael. I did as you suggested, however, there is no
reason for the long boot up time at the top of the screen. Perhaps there
are some services that I can disable. Any suggestions as to what ones are
known as time consumers?

Thanks,
Shane
"Michael" <mexxwalraven@verson.net> wrote in message
> Shane,
>
> Try:
> Control Panel
> System and Maintenance
> Performance Information and tools
> Advanced tools (left pane)
> If Vista thinks it is taking a long time to boot the reason will appear
> near the top of the screen
>
> Michael
>
> "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard, Intel E6600 C2D COU, 2 gig
>> 800MHz DDR2 ram, Adaptec 2120S SCSI adapter with 73gig 10K Seagate SCSI
>> drive (for apps and system), and one 400gig SATA2 drive for data. The OS
>> is Vista Ultimate. My problem is that it takes an age to boot (almost
>> two minutes). When the machine initially starts, the motherboard's bios
>> details are shown then the SCSI card bios appears for approx 10 secs.
>> However, when Vista starts to load the PC seems to hang in the Vista logo
>> for another 90 seconds or so. When it does finally boot into Vista
>> there are not problems. There does not appear to be any driver issues in
>> device manager nor have I been able to detect any thing else that may
>> cause this delay in booting. I have another machine with a similar
>> configuration (different motherboard though) that seems to boot in a
>> fraction of the time it takes for this PC.
>>
>> Could someone put me on the right track to determine what the problem (if
>> any) could be?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Shane

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Re: Very slow boot up
Hi Shane,

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode to monitor the issue?