Cannot create shadow copy error

Blue Max

Cannot create shadow copy error
When using Vista Backup we are receiving the following error:

"A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason: Insufficient
storage availabel to create eith the shadow copy storage file or other
shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)"

The error aborts the backup. We have plenty of disk space and cannot figure
out why we would receive this error. In order to eliminate Vista Backup as
the problem, we tried to create a 'Recovery Point' using the 'System
Protection' tab of the 'System Properties' dialog. We received the same
error which infers that this is a Windows Vista restore point problem versus
a Vista Backup problem.

Ironically, the restore point feature is supposed to delete old restore
points as new ones are needed, correct? So the reported problem shouldn't
ever be a problem, in our humble opinion. Can anyone help with this issue?

Mark H

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
Symantec may have some help for you:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275969.htm

"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> When using Vista Backup we are receiving the following error:
>
> "A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
> Insufficient
> storage availabel to create eith the shadow copy storage file or other
> shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)"
>
> The error aborts the backup. We have plenty of disk space and cannot
> figure
> out why we would receive this error. In order to eliminate Vista Backup
> as
> the problem, we tried to create a 'Recovery Point' using the 'System
> Protection' tab of the 'System Properties' dialog. We received the same
> error which infers that this is a Windows Vista restore point problem
> versus
> a Vista Backup problem.
>
> Ironically, the restore point feature is supposed to delete old restore
> points as new ones are needed, correct? So the reported problem shouldn't
> ever be a problem, in our humble opinion. Can anyone help with this
> issue?

Blue Max

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
Thank you, Mark, this may put us on the path to an answer. Nevertheless,
the article does not specifically deal with Windows Vista (and includes
illustrations not available in Vista), so we would still appreciate any
other help someone might have.

Thanks,
Richard

***************
"Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Symantec may have some help for you:
> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275969.htm
>

> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>> When using Vista Backup we are receiving the following error:
>>
>> "A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
>> Insufficient
>> storage availabel to create eith the shadow copy storage file or other
>> shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)"
>>
>> The error aborts the backup. We have plenty of disk space and cannot
>> figure
>> out why we would receive this error. In order to eliminate Vista Backup
>> as
>> the problem, we tried to create a 'Recovery Point' using the 'System
>> Protection' tab of the 'System Properties' dialog. We received the same
>> error which infers that this is a Windows Vista restore point problem
>> versus
>> a Vista Backup problem.
>>
>> Ironically, the restore point feature is supposed to delete old restore
>> points as new ones are needed, correct? So the reported problem
>> shouldn't
>> ever be a problem, in our humble opinion. Can anyone help with this
>> issue?

Mark H

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
I know this is simplified, but Vista is built on Windows Server 2003.
There is a lot of cross over between Windows Server 2003, 2008 and Vista

Please note the following:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...US107_WH06.ppt

Commands that may help: (elevated C: prompt only)
(Only Ultimate, Business and Enterprise can make full use of VSS
capabilities.)
Determine what this drive sees as VSS storage capabilities...

vssadmin /?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754968.aspx
Enabling/Disabling Shadow Copy space for External Drives is done within
System Restore functions or System.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749185.aspx
Allocating size other than default is via vssadmin command, or within the
registry.

Command-line backups:
wbadmin /?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754015.aspx

> Thank you, Mark, this may put us on the path to an answer. Nevertheless,
> the article does not specifically deal with Windows Vista (and includes
> illustrations not available in Vista), so we would still appreciate any
> other help someone might have.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> ***************
> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Symantec may have some help for you:
>> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275969.htm
>>

>> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> When using Vista Backup we are receiving the following error:
>>>
>>> "A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason:
>>> Insufficient
>>> storage availabel to create eith the shadow copy storage file or other
>>> shadow copy data. (0x8004231F)"
>>>
>>> The error aborts the backup. We have plenty of disk space and cannot
>>> figure
>>> out why we would receive this error. In order to eliminate Vista Backup
>>> as
>>> the problem, we tried to create a 'Recovery Point' using the 'System
>>> Protection' tab of the 'System Properties' dialog. We received the same
>>> error which infers that this is a Windows Vista restore point problem
>>> versus
>>> a Vista Backup problem.
>>>
>>> Ironically, the restore point feature is supposed to delete old restore
>>> points as new ones are needed, correct? So the reported problem
>>> shouldn't
>>> ever be a problem, in our humble opinion. Can anyone help with this
>>> issue?

Blue Max

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
Thank you again, Mark. We will continue to explore your suggestions.
Nevevertheless, it's frutrating when, 'out of the blue,' a very basic
feature ceases to work after it has been working fine for some time. These
types of problems really make it hard to fall in love with Windows.
Regardless of whether you're a novice or advanced user, is wastes valuable
time trying to resolve such issues and often forces you, involuntarily, into
unwanted technical areas.

Thank You,

Richard

*******************
>I know this is simplified, but Vista is built on Windows Server 2003.
> There is a lot of cross over between Windows Server 2003, 2008 and Vista
>
> Please note the following:
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...US107_WH06.ppt
>
> Commands that may help: (elevated C: prompt only)
> (Only Ultimate, Business and Enterprise can make full use of VSS
> capabilities.)
> Determine what this drive sees as VSS storage capabilities...
>
> vssadmin /?
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754968.aspx
> Enabling/Disabling Shadow Copy space for External Drives is done within
> System Restore functions or System.
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749185.aspx
> Allocating size other than default is via vssadmin command, or within the
> registry.
>
> Command-line backups:
> wbadmin /?
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754015.aspx
>

> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Mark, this may put us on the path to an answer. Nevertheless,
>> the article does not specifically deal with Windows Vista (and includes
>> illustrations not available in Vista), so we would still appreciate any
>> other help someone might have.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>>
>> ***************
>> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Symantec may have some help for you:
>>> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275969.htm

Mark H

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
I fully agree.
Good luck.

> Thank you again, Mark. We will continue to explore your suggestions.
> Nevevertheless, it's frutrating when, 'out of the blue,' a very basic
> feature ceases to work after it has been working fine for some time.
> These types of problems really make it hard to fall in love with Windows.
> Regardless of whether you're a novice or advanced user, is wastes valuable
> time trying to resolve such issues and often forces you, involuntarily,
> into unwanted technical areas.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Richard
>
> *******************
> "Mark H" <jmhonzell@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I know this is simplified, but Vista is built on Windows Server 2003.
>> There is a lot of cross over between Windows Server 2003, 2008 and Vista
>>
>> Please note the following:
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...US107_WH06.ppt
>>
>> Commands that may help: (elevated C: prompt only)
>> (Only Ultimate, Business and Enterprise can make full use of VSS
>> capabilities.)
>> Determine what this drive sees as VSS storage capabilities...
>>
>> vssadmin /?
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754968.aspx
>> Enabling/Disabling Shadow Copy space for External Drives is done within
>> System Restore functions or System.
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749185.aspx
>> Allocating size other than default is via vssadmin command, or within the
>> registry.
>>
>> Command-line backups:
>> wbadmin /?
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754015.aspx
>>

>> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you, Mark, this may put us on the path to an answer.
>>> Nevertheless, the article does not specifically deal with Windows Vista
>>> (and includes illustrations not available in Vista), so we would still
>>> appreciate any other help someone might have.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> ***************

snuggs7

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error

This same exact thing is happening to me. Has anyone figured out a
solution. I hate windows vista more than anything else in life. lol
Thankx a million
please email me any help to funnyhaha639@yahoo.com

--
snuggs7
snuggs7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/snuggs7.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Blue Max

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
Thanks for the confirmation, snuggs7. We all hope that someone can respond
who knows exactly what is happening here.

Thanks,
Richard

******************
"snuggs7" <snuggs7.3kq6fb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> This same exact thing is happening to me. Has anyone figured out a
> solution. I hate windows vista more than anything else in life. lol
> Thankx a million
> please email me any help to funnyhaha639@yahoo.com
>

> --
> snuggs7
> snuggs7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/snuggs7.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1075739.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Greg D

Re: Cannot create shadow copy error
Please try the following from an elevated command prompt:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Verify that the volume that you are trying to backup / restore is listed
here. Next, verify that the "Maximum shadow copy storage space" is at least
320mb. If it isn't, try the following:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /MaxSize=10%

Of course, replace C: with whatever drive you're trying to back up. Max
size doesn't need to be 10%, but that is around what the default is.

If the max storage space was above 320mb, just try to increase it a bit.
Keep in mind that Backups / System Restore could potentially use this amount
of disk space, so you probably would not want to set it to 100%.

Hope this helps,

Greg D