Re: This is a bit of a showstopper

Steve Thackery

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
> The link talks about Shadow Copies, not Restore Points.
>
> Nice one, DrTeeth.

But the Vista Restore Point functionality uses Shadow Copy, doesn't it?
Unlike XP and earlier.

SteveT

DrTeeth

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:27:08 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Steve Thackery" <nobody@nowhere.com> disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

>But the Vista Restore Point functionality uses Shadow Copy, doesn't it?

Exactly, cannot separate the two.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Peter Foldes

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
Steve

His (DrTeeth) post on that KB has nothing at all to do with Vista. Read the KB and what it applies to as far as which OS

--
Peter

"Steve Thackery" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eE$2l81SJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> The link talks about Shadow Copies, not Restore Points.
>>
>> Nice one, DrTeeth.

> But the Vista Restore Point functionality uses Shadow Copy, doesn't it?
> Unlike XP and earlier.
>
> SteveT

DrTeeth

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:53:21 -0500, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

>His (DrTeeth) post on that KB has nothing at all to do with Vista. Read the KB and what it applies to as far as which OS

The issue IS present in Vista and has been confirmed by raxco, the
maker of PerfectDisk.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Peter Foldes

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
DrTeeth

They are wrong as far as it affects Vista. You have a link so as we can read to confirm ??? If you do can you post it

--
Peter

"DrTeeth" <no-email@tardis.com> wrote in message news5tdi45tuaiijo2jqel8v8d33p72qo028g@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:53:21 -0500, just as I was about to take a
> herb, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> disturbed my reverie and
> wrote:
>
>>His (DrTeeth) post on that KB has nothing at all to do with Vista. Read the KB and what it applies to as far as which OS

> The issue IS present in Vista and has been confirmed by raxco, the
> maker of PerfectDisk.
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>
> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Steve Thackery

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
> The issue IS present in Vista and has been confirmed by raxco, the
> maker of PerfectDisk.

Sounds like rubbish to me. Come on, let's see the link.

SteveT
DrTeeth

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:27:06 -0500, just as I was about to take a
wrote:

>They are wrong as far as it affects Vista

Received from PerfectDisk tech support, "Microsoft has not updated the
article but I can confirm that we deal with this quite a lot and
changing the cluster size to 16K has resolved this each time. This
applies to any Windows OS running VSS, including Vista."

Case closed.
--

Cheers,

DrT

DrTeeth

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:18:31 -0000, just as I was about to take a
wrote:

>Sounds like rubbish to me.

See post to Peter; it ain't rubbish.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Sackboy

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:18:31 -0000, just as I was about to take a
> herb, "Steve Thackery" <nobody@nowhere.com> disturbed my reverie and
> wrote:
>
>>Sounds like rubbish to me.

> See post to Peter; it ain't rubbish.

They will next say it's malware.
Then a defective HD.
Then a reinstall.

All users should prepare for the reinstall.

> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>
> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Richie Hardwick

Re: This is a bit of a showstopper
From Diskeeper (inside the running program):

"It is important to be aware that when VSS is enabled on a volume
with a cluster size smaller than 16 KB, VSS will see file
movement done by the defragmentation process as "changed data"
and take a point-in-time snapshot, even though only the location
of the data has changed. Unnecessary snapshots will cause the
VSS storage area to increases in size, possibly resulting in
earlier VSS snapshots being purged.

Diskeeper provides special defragmentation methods to allow you
to defragment these VSS enabled volumes, yet minimize the
possibility that older VSS snapshots will be purged.

When the VSS defragmentation option is enabled, Diskeeper uses
proprietary defragmentation engines to help reduce the chance of
the defragmentation operation causing new VSS snapshots from
being created, thus potentially preventing older snapshots from
being purged. In order to do this, the VSS defragmentation
engines use more conservative file movement algorithms, which
can result in slightly less thorough defragmentation of the volume"

Richie Hardwick