Windows Vista

Patrick Whittle

Windows Vista
Hi,

Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

Slap

Re: Windows Vista

"Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
> computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

Gat a larger hard drive. Don't worry about system files anymore... life is
short.

peter

Re: Windows Vista
under Control Panel in Power Options turn of Hibernation

peter

"Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
> computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

Patrick Whittle

Re: Windows Vista
Try it. It doesn't work. I have Vista not to hyvernate, and the file is
still there.
"peter" <peter@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> under Control Panel in Power Options turn of Hibernation
>
> peter
>
> "Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
>> computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

Gordon

> Try it. It doesn't work. I have Vista not to hyvernate, and the file is
> still there.

So delete the file......

John Barnett MVP

Re: Windows Vista
See this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_hibernation.htm

Following the instructions will disable hibernation and remove the hibernate
file.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
> computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

silver hair

RE: Windows Vista
Hi
I think I deleted the files with Disk Cleanup, but I'm not sure

--
lucky me I guess

"Patrick Whittle" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
> computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Windows Vista
Silver hair, Yes you can delete the file using disk cleanup. You simply have
to click on the box next to the hibernation option.

"silver hair" <silverhair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I think I deleted the files with Disk Cleanup, but I'm not sure
>
> --
> lucky me I guess
>

> "Patrick Whittle" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Why does my C drive have a hybernate file (2GB file) when I never put my
>> computer into hybernate? How do I delete this file? I am running Vista.

Dag Rune Myklestul

Re: Windows Vista
The Vista Hibernation file is there in case you need to hibernate. Then it
is not nessecary to wait for Vista loading all files that is needed to
hibernate at the time you click hibernate. This file is aproximately the
same size as your pagefile.

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Try it. It doesn't work. I have Vista not to hyvernate, and the file is
>> still there.
>>

> So delete the file......

R. C. White

Re: Windows Vista
Hi, Dag.

I missed the start of this thread, so maybe someone has already said this
and it scrolled off the server, but...

The hiberfil.sys file in WinXP and in Vista is just slightly larger than
installed RAM. On my Vista Ultimate x64 with 3 GB RAM it is 3,220,746,240
bytes. The pagefile.sys size can vary; the old "rule of thumb" was 1.5
times the RAM, but that has been the subject of much debate; the
system-managed size for my 3 GB Vista is 3,534,499,840 bytes. The rules
have apparently changed for Win7. In the Win7 Ultimate x64 that I'm now
running on the same hardware, still with 3 GB RAM, the pagefile.sys is
3,534,491,648 bytes, just 8 KB less than for Vista. But hiberfil.sys is
only 2,415,558,656 bytes, which is much less than 3 GB. No, I don't know
why, but maybe one of the Win7 gurus can enlighten us.

Note that both pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are always dated at the time of
the last boot; none of their contents can be carried over from one session
to the next because they are created anew at each restart. Hiberfil.sys
must always be in the Root of the "boot volume" (which Win7 now calls the
"OS volume", to get away from the suggestion that this is the partition used
to boot the computer - see KB 314470); typically this means that it will be
C:\hiberfil.sys, but if J: is your boot volume, then it will be
J:\hiberfil.sys.

The pagefile.sys is also on the boot volume by default, but we can change it
to any volume that we choose by using the system properties settings. It
can even be divided between two or more drives.

Yes, you can get rid of hiberfil.sys, but not by simply deleting it. First
you must turn off hibernation. Control Panel | Power Options, as I recall,
but I'm not running Vista at the moment and it has been a while since I did
this, so I'm not sure. THEN you can delete hiberfil.sys, but you may need
to restart first.

Remember that I'm an accountant, not a techie of any kind, so some of what
I've learned from observation and experience may not be technically right,
so corrections and clarifications are welcomed.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX