Desktop shows but unusable on startup

reddragon454

Desktop shows but unusable on startup

Hey guys, i'm not very computer savvy and am having a problem with my HP
laptop (running Vista), right now i'm in safe mode (+ networking) mode
because my computer froze last night, so I had to hold the power button
and turn it off. Well when I turned it back on, it loaded all my desktop
etc everything looked fine, I could move my mouse cursor and all but I
couldn't click anything, nothing worked.. so I tried again and same
problem, now i'm just running it in safe + networking mode. If anyone
has had this problem some advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!

--
reddragon454
Malke

Re: Desktop shows but unusable on startup
reddragon454 wrote:

> Hey guys, i'm not very computer savvy and am having a problem with my HP
> laptop (running Vista), right now i'm in safe mode (+ networking) mode
> because my computer froze last night, so I had to hold the power button
> and turn it off. Well when I turned it back on, it loaded all my desktop
> etc everything looked fine, I could move my mouse cursor and all but I
> couldn't click anything, nothing worked.. so I tried again and same
> problem, now i'm just running it in safe + networking mode. If anyone
> has had this problem some advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!

We don't have much to go on so focused troubleshooting isn't really
possible. We don't know what caused the computer to freeze, but perhaps
doing Startup Repair with your Vista DVD (if you have one) will work.

Repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

For people who only have a restore image - Windows Vista Recovery Disc
Download:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

If that doesn't help, since you can use the computer in Safe Mode, perhaps
something you have running in Regular Mode is causing the issue. This could
be bad drivers, incompatible software, malware, or a combination.

Try clean-boot troubleshooting. It is also smart to answer the First and
Second Questions of Troubleshooting:

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista -

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns

Or, since you say you aren't very computer savvy (and there's no shame in
that as we all have our areas of expertise), you might just decide to take
the computer to a local repair shop. I don't recommend using a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Brink

reddragon454;890306 Wrote:
> Hey guys, i'm not very computer savvy and am having a problem with my HP
> laptop (running Vista), right now i'm in safe mode (+ networking) mode
> because my computer froze last night, so I had to hold the power button
> and turn it off. Well when I turned it back on, it loaded all my desktop
> etc everything looked fine, I could move my mouse cursor and all but I
> couldn't click anything, nothing worked.. so I tried again and same
> problem, now i'm just running it in safe + networking mode. If anyone
> has had this problem some advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Hello Reddragon,

You might try a System Restore using a restore point dated before this
problem to see if it can fix it.

'System Restore - How to'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html)

Hope this helps,