Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work
I cannot seem to get the sleep mode or hibernate mode to work at all.
Additionally, and more frustating and important to me, is I cannot get the
display to reactivate and go back on once it has gone off by simply moving
the mouse. I have to push the 'ON' button on my display to activate it, and
unfortunately this button is beginning to stick, and I don't want another
problem to arise if this fails. I have tried all the numerous fixes I can
think of, going between different power options and trying them, but nothings
seems to work. I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work

Hi Rick,

You might check through this to see if it can help you find what the
problem may be.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn


Rick;890073 Wrote:
> I cannot seem to get the sleep mode or hibernate mode to work at all.
> Additionally, and more frustating and important to me, is I cannot get
> the
> display to reactivate and go back on once it has gone off by simply
> moving
> the mouse. I have to push the 'ON' button on my display to activate it,
> and
> unfortunately this button is beginning to stick, and I don't want
> another
> problem to arise if this fails. I have tried all the numerous fixes I
> can
> think of, going between different power options and trying them, but
> nothings
> seems to work. I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks in advance for any
> help.
>
> Rick



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work
Nope, no help, I had no luck. I basically want the display to go into
standby mode and not turn off, and the hard drive to do the same, but the
display turns off after a set amount of time, no matter what time I put into
the pull down menu, and the hard drive never turns off, again, no matter what
I input.

"Brink" wrote:

>
> Hi Rick,
>
> You might check through this to see if it can help you find what the
> problem may be.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
>
> Rick;890073 Wrote:
> > I cannot seem to get the sleep mode or hibernate mode to work at all.
> > Additionally, and more frustating and important to me, is I cannot get
> > the
> > display to reactivate and go back on once it has gone off by simply
> > moving
> > the mouse. I have to push the 'ON' button on my display to activate it,
> > and
> > unfortunately this button is beginning to stick, and I don't want
> > another
> > problem to arise if this fails. I have tried all the numerous fixes I
> > can
> > think of, going between different power options and trying them, but
> > nothings
> > seems to work. I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks in advance for any
> > help.
> >
> > Rick

>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work

Rick,

Having the display set to turn off in the power options is the same as
standby (sleep) mode. If you do not want it to, then you can set the
time to "Never". You might also check your screen saver settings to see
if you have it set to go to a blank screen saver after a set time as
well.

It is usually best to have the display and hard drive set to time
shortly before the computer is set to go to sleep (standby).



Rick;890942 Wrote:
> Nope, no help, I had no luck. I basically want the display to go into
> standby mode and not turn off, and the hard drive to do the same, but
> the
> display turns off after a set amount of time, no matter what time I put
> into
> the pull down menu, and the hard drive never turns off, again, no
> matter what
> I input.
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > Hi Rick,
> > >
> > > You might check through this to see if it can help you find what the
> > > problem may be.
> > >
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn
> > >
> > >
> > > Rick;890073 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > > > I cannot seem to get the sleep mode or hibernate mode to work at
> > > all.
> > > > > Additionally, and more frustating and important to me, is I cannot
> > > get
> > > > > the
> > > > > display to reactivate and go back on once it has gone off by simply
> > > > > moving
> > > > > the mouse. I have to push the 'ON' button on my display to activate
> > > it,
> > > > > and
> > > > > unfortunately this button is beginning to stick, and I don't want
> > > > > another
> > > > > problem to arise if this fails. I have tried all the numerous fixes
> > > I
> > > > > can
> > > > > think of, going between different power options and trying them,
> > > but
> > > > > nothings
> > > > > seems to work. I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks in advance for
> > > any
> > > > > help.
> > > > >
> > > > > Rick> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> > > ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and*

> > '*::Vista Forums::*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*
> > > > >



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2008
Rick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work
That seems to be the problem. I do have the display set to turn off after 20
minutes, which should be the standby mode for the display, but it actually
turns the display off totally. Touching the mouse, which should take the
display out of sleep and then turn it on, does nothing. The only way I can
get the display back on is by hitting the 'ON' button on the display itself.
The hard disks also never seem to go into sleep mode, even when I go into the
advanced settings. I have read on some of these posts that there might be a
problem with wireless keyboards and mice, which I do have (Logitech). Any
other ideas that I might try out would be greatly appreciated, I have tried
for quite some time to get this problem solved to no avail.

Rick

"Brink" wrote:

>
> Rick,
>
> Having the display set to turn off in the power options is the same as
> standby (sleep) mode. If you do not want it to, then you can set the
> time to "Never". You might also check your screen saver settings to see
> if you have it set to go to a blank screen saver after a set time as
> well.
>
> It is usually best to have the display and hard drive set to time
> shortly before the computer is set to go to sleep (standby).
>
>
>
> Rick;890942 Wrote:
> > Nope, no help, I had no luck. I basically want the display to go into
> > standby mode and not turn off, and the hard drive to do the same, but
> > the
> > display turns off after a set amount of time, no matter what time I put
> > into
> > the pull down menu, and the hard drive never turns off, again, no
> > matter what
> > I input.
> >
> > "Brink" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hi Rick,
> > > >
> > > > You might check through this to see if it can help you find what the
> > > > problem may be.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
> > > >
> > > > Hope this helps,
> > > > Shawn
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Rick;890073 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > > > > I cannot seem to get the sleep mode or hibernate mode to work at
> > > > all.
> > > > > > Additionally, and more frustating and important to me, is I cannot
> > > > get
> > > > > > the
> > > > > > display to reactivate and go back on once it has gone off by simply
> > > > > > moving
> > > > > > the mouse. I have to push the 'ON' button on my display to activate
> > > > it,
> > > > > > and
> > > > > > unfortunately this button is beginning to stick, and I don't want
> > > > > > another
> > > > > > problem to arise if this fails. I have tried all the numerous fixes
> > > > I
> > > > > > can
> > > > > > think of, going between different power options and trying them,
> > > > but
> > > > > > nothings
> > > > > > seems to work. I am running Vista Ultimate. Thanks in advance for
> > > > any
> > > > > > help.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Rick> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Brink
> > > >
> > > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > > them.*
> > > > '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> > > > ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and*
> > > '*::Vista Forums::*'
> > > > (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > > *Please post feedback to help others.*
> > > > > >

>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2008
Brink
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work

Is your display a TV or computer monitor? If a computer monitor, do you
have the monitor drivers installed (if available) as well other than the
graphic card driver? How do you have the monitor connected to the
computer (ex: VGA, HDMI, DMI, etc...) ?

If the wireless mouse connects via a USB connection, then you might
check in the BIOS to make sure that "Legacy USB" is enabled.

As a test, see if removing the wireless mouse and keyboard for a normal
wired one will allow it to work properly afterwards. This will at least
let you know if this is the cause of the problem or not.

Rick;891467 Wrote:
> That seems to be the problem. I do have the display set to turn off
> after 20
> minutes, which should be the standby mode for the display, but it
> actually
> turns the display off totally. Touching the mouse, which should take
> the
> display out of sleep and then turn it on, does nothing. The only way I
> can
> get the display back on is by hitting the 'ON' button on the display
> itself.
> The hard disks also never seem to go into sleep mode, even when I go
> into the
> advanced settings. I have read on some of these posts that there might
> be a
> problem with wireless keyboards and mice, which I do have (Logitech).
> Any
> other ideas that I might try out would be greatly appreciated, I have
> tried
> for quite some time to get this problem solved to no avail.
>
> Rick
>
> "Brink" wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > Rick,
> > >
> > > Having the display set to turn off in the power options is the same

> > as
> > > standby (sleep) mode. If you do not want it to, then you can set the
> > > time to "Never". You might also check your screen saver settings to

> > see
> > > if you have it set to go to a blank screen saver after a set time as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > It is usually best to have the display and hard drive set to time
> > > shortly before the computer is set to go to sleep (standby).
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Rick;890942 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > > > Nope, no help, I had no luck. I basically want the display to go
> > > into
> > > > > standby mode and not turn off, and the hard drive to do the same,
> > > but
> > > > > the
> > > > > display turns off after a set amount of time, no matter what time I
> > > put
> > > > > into
> > > > > the pull down menu, and the hard drive never turns off, again, no
> > > > > matter what
> > > > > I input.
> > > > >
> > > > > "Brink" wrote:> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > them.*
> > > '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> > > ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and*

> > '*::Vista Forums::*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*
> > > > >



--
Brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No display coming out of sleep mode calvnhobbes microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 15 09-19-2009 08:01
Sleep Mode - Doesn't work. Tempest microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 11-26-2008 14:51
Screen Saver & Sleep Mode do not work Capricorn Windows Vista Home Premium 0 09-17-2008 05:46
Sleep mode - used to work perfectly sand microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 07-14-2008 22:26
Article ID: 930091 A Windows Vista-based computer does not resume from sleep mode if you move or click a USB mouse as the computer is entering sleep mode KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120