Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2008
Kris
 

Posts: n/a
Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)
Present mobo has P35 ICH9R
New mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P has P45 ICH10R

I had been assuming that I would have to do a full new install, but it just
occurred to me to ask if I could get away with a Repair, and would it ask
me for the floppy disk with the new drivers as the full install does?

(I do/will not use RAID)

tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Kris
----------
DFI Infinity Blood-Iron P35-T2RL | E7200 2.53@3.8ghz | Vista on 36GB Raptor
|
| 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203 | EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 |
| Vista indexing, superfetch, and prefetcher have been killed |
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
Raidmax RX530-SS psu | Vista Ult 32 SP1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2008
Kris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 01:55:45 -0500, Kris wrote:

> Present mobo has P35 ICH9R
> New mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P has P45 ICH10R
>
> I had been assuming that I would have to do a full new install, but it just
> occurred to me to ask if I could get away with a Repair, and would it ask
> me for the floppy disk with the new drivers as the full install does?
>
> (I do/will not use RAID)
>
> tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Oh... I have SP1 installed so REPAIR won't work, I think. Any other way?
--
Kris
----------
DFI Infinity Blood-Iron P35-T2RL | E7200 2.53@3.8ghz | Vista on 36GB Raptor
|
| 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203 | EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 |
| Vista indexing, superfetch, and prefetcher have been killed |
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
Raidmax RX530-SS psu | Vista Ult 32 SP1
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2008
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)
Hi,

Won't work as Vista doesn't support repair installation like XP and prior
versions did. If the hardware change is minor, then it may load ok without
reinstalling - simply try it after backing up all critical data. If you have
to reinstall, do so without formatting and the existing installation will be
moved to a windows.old folder on the drive where you can later regain access
to data (programs would need to be reinstalled).

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Kris" <a@b.net> wrote in message news:1sb07ronv496d.dlg@myhost7.org...
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 01:55:45 -0500, Kris wrote:
>
>> Present mobo has P35 ICH9R
>> New mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P has P45 ICH10R
>>
>> I had been assuming that I would have to do a full new install, but it
>> just
>> occurred to me to ask if I could get away with a Repair, and would it ask
>> me for the floppy disk with the new drivers as the full install does?
>>
>> (I do/will not use RAID)
>>
>> tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>
> Oh... I have SP1 installed so REPAIR won't work, I think. Any other way?
> --
> Kris
> ----------
> DFI Infinity Blood-Iron P35-T2RL | E7200 2.53@3.8ghz | Vista on 36GB
> Raptor
> |
> | 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203 | EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 |
> | Vista indexing, superfetch, and prefetcher have been killed |
> LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
> Raidmax RX530-SS psu | Vista Ult 32 SP1


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2008
Kris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)
Thanks Rick. My other stuff is on 7 other partitions on 2 other spindles,
so nothing on C except C stuff.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:31:34 -0500, Rick Rogers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Won't work as Vista doesn't support repair installation like XP and prior
> versions did. If the hardware change is minor, then it may load ok without
> reinstalling - simply try it after backing up all critical data. If you have
> to reinstall, do so without formatting and the existing installation will be
> moved to a windows.old folder on the drive where you can later regain access
> to data (programs would need to be reinstalled).



--
Kris
----------
DFI Infinity Blood-Iron P35-T2RL | E7200 2.53@3.8ghz | Vista on 36GB Raptor
|
| 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203 | EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 |
| Vista indexing, superfetch, and prefetcher have been killed |
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
Raidmax RX530-SS psu | Vista Ult 32 SP1
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2008
Donald L McDaniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:24:48 -0500, Kris <a@b.net> wrote:

>Thanks Rick. My other stuff is on 7 other partitions on 2 other spindles,
>so nothing on C except C stuff.
>
>On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:31:34 -0500, Rick Rogers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Won't work as Vista doesn't support repair installation like XP and prior
>> versions did. If the hardware change is minor, then it may load ok without
>> reinstalling - simply try it after backing up all critical data. If you have
>> to reinstall, do so without formatting and the existing installation will be
>> moved to a windows.old folder on the drive where you can later regain access
>> to data (programs would need to be reinstalled).


Normally, "C: stuff" would include your programs and much of your
data, including Outlook .pst and archive files. Better back up your
data...

You'll be glad you did later.

--

Donald McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
========================
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2008
Kris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:24:56 -0800, Donald L McDaniel wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:24:48 -0500, Kris <a@b.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Rick. My other stuff is on 7 other partitions on 2 other spindles,
>>so nothing on C except C stuff.
>>
>>On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:31:34 -0500, Rick Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Won't work as Vista doesn't support repair installation like XP and prior
>>> versions did. If the hardware change is minor, then it may load ok without
>>> reinstalling - simply try it after backing up all critical data. If you have
>>> to reinstall, do so without formatting and the existing installation will be
>>> moved to a windows.old folder on the drive where you can later regain access
>>> to data (programs would need to be reinstalled).

>
> Normally, "C: stuff" would include your programs and much of your
> data, including Outlook .pst and archive files. Better back up your
> data...
>
> You'll be glad you did later.


yep, I have tons of backups.

But - shocker!!! : put in the new board and the old system booted right
up. All I did to try to aid that was to install the chipset drivers just
before shutting down, but I noticed that it only installed ICH09 and P35
stuff, so that shouldn't have made any difference.

It was a little slow at first as I installed the chipset drivers again and
then it had to go through and update all the drivers for the sata ports.

I had a worry last night that Acronis and other stand alone things I use
wouldn't work with the ICH10. Indeed, AcronisTI 11 won't, but their new
Acronis TI homne 2009 DOES, so there goes $30 ) Odly Acronis DD 10 now
works, especially if I use a cheap MS mouse instead of my Logitech wireless
USB.

GPARTED also works on the ICH10 chipset.

So I didn't have to re-install at all. Nice!
--
Kris
----------
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | E7200 2.53@3.8ghz | Vista on 36GB Raptor |
| 2x1gb OCZ Reaper1150@1203 | EVGA 9800GTX+ N873 |
| Vista indexing, superfetch, and prefetcher have been killed |
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
Raidmax RX530-SS psu | Vista Ult 32 SP1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with re-install after MOBO upgrade Andy J microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 08-19-2008 21:43
Vista 64 EVGA 680i SLI MOBO drivers wont install Corwin AT microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 10-30-2007 15:21
Need to re-activate vista if install new Mobo/cpu? Mike M microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 07-14-2007 16:21
a previous install did not complete correctly. finishing install Jan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-28-2007 02:38
Re: Vista will not complete it's install =?Utf-8?B?VWxm?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 01-24-2007 22:12




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120