message re memory amount change

Donna

message re memory amount change
Every once in awhile when booting up my computer I get a screen with the
message: Amount of Memory Has Changed and I'm given the option of continuing
or going to setup. I have no idea why this happens, tho it seems to be
connected with my Avast anti-virus program updating itself as I didn't
install anything new.
I have no idea what this means or what I should do about it. I have simply
hit 'continue' and my computer boots up as normal but everything runs
excrutiatingly slow for the next hour or so then seems to settle down again.
This is driving me nuts. What should I do?
I have Vista home premium.
Victek

Re: message re memory amount change
> Every once in awhile when booting up my computer I get a screen with the
> message: Amount of Memory Has Changed and I'm given the option of
> continuing
> or going to setup. I have no idea why this happens, tho it seems to be
> connected with my Avast anti-virus program updating itself as I didn't
> install anything new.
> I have no idea what this means or what I should do about it. I have simply
> hit 'continue' and my computer boots up as normal but everything runs
> excrutiatingly slow for the next hour or so then seems to settle down
> again.
> This is driving me nuts. What should I do?
> I have Vista home premium.

If you're receiving the message from the BIOS (before Vista starts loading)
it suggests a hardware problem. You could try removing the ram, cleaning
the contacts and reinserting it. If the problem persists you may have a
failing ram module.

Donna

Re: message re memory amount change
Yikes! Sounds awful. Don't know how to remove the ram or what happens when a
ram module fails (does my computer crash?) but maybe I can find someone to
help me.
thanks for your input.