File extensions. Unusual problem.

Wolfy2k4

File extensions. Unusual problem.

Ok, my file extensions are all hidden.
I've always been able to fix this in the past under xp and even vista.
However...

There is no folder options icon in my control panel.
The "Organize" Button on my windows explorer shows "Folder and Search
options" but it is greyed out. I cannot select it.

I believe I am running my Vista as Administrator but am not sure how to
confirm this.

Any ideas?

Vista x32 Home Premium

Thanks in advance

--
Wolfy2k4
Malke

Re: File extensions. Unusual problem.
Wolfy2k4 wrote:

> Ok, my file extensions are all hidden.
> I've always been able to fix this in the past under xp and even vista.
> However...
>
> There is no folder options icon in my control panel.
> The "Organize" Button on my windows explorer shows "Folder and Search
> options" but it is greyed out. I cannot select it.
>
> I believe I am running my Vista as Administrator but am not sure how to
> confirm this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Vista x32 Home Premium

Every time I've seen this the computer was severely infected. So answer the
First and Second Questions of Troubleshooting. I would answer the Second
Question first.

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Wolfy2k4

Re: File extensions. Unusual problem.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Yes, there were a number of viruses and trojans removed recently from
the system. I decided to search the registry and just found regedit to
be disabled also.

I've now re-enabled Regedit and navigated to the explorer policy in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER I believe the problem may lie in the key "ShellState"
?

To be honest I'm a just a little out of my depth here.

Edit: there is also no "nofolderoptions" key.... That's not good is it

Wolfy2k4 wrote:

> Hello, thanks for the reply.
>
> Yes, there were a number of viruses and trojans removed recently from
> the system. I decided to search the registry and just found regedit to
> be disabled also.
>
> I've now re-enabled Regedit and navigated to the explorer policy in
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER I believe the problem may lie in the key "ShellState"
> ?
>
> To be honest I'm a just a little out of my depth here.
>
> Edit: there is also no "nofolderoptions" key.... That's not good is it

Your computer is still severely infected. Either get guided help at one of
the following forums OR back up your data and do a clean install of
Windows. It is your choice. If you are unsure how to back up your data or
how to do a clean install, you can take your machine to a local computer
professional. I don't recommend using BigComputerStore/GeekSquad types of
places.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9