new to this..

angel3

new to this..

Hello..I have noticed some unusual changes to my computer to which I
have had no choice lately, so I went to my system restore and it would
not restore my files..I picked a few restore points and no luck..My
google toolbar is gone, my home page changed to MSN page. Anyone have
any ideas as to what is going on?

--
angel3
Kayman

Re: new to this..
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:13:59 -0600, angel3 wrote:

> Hello..I have noticed some unusual changes to my computer to which I
> have had no choice lately, so I went to my system restore and it would
> not restore my files..I picked a few restore points and no luck..My
> google toolbar is gone, my home page changed to MSN page. Anyone have
> any ideas as to what is going on?

It's probably a case of malware infection

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out
quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK' button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...'button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete files
and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

NOTE:
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® and the free version of
Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer.
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is cleaned you are
supposed to remove these tools from your operating system.
Re: K/AVPTool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable self-defense' must be
unchecked!

The free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an update
feature, keep them installed in addtion to your resident AV/A-S
applications and scan frequently.

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.
How do you boot to Safe Mode?
By pressing/tabbing F8 (or F5 on some keyboards) during re-boot.
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Start your computer in safe mode (Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial61.html

Alternatively:
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "msconfig" (without
quotation marks), click OK. Then click onto BOOT.INI tab and 'check'
/SAFEBOOT then OK and click Restart. To go back to Normal Mode, you must
access the System Configuration utility again and click the General tab
then click/check the radio button 'Normal Startup'- load all device drivers
and services'.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Additional references:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system
configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

Good luck
Ken Blake

Re: new to this..
"angel3" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello..I have noticed some unusual changes to my computer to which I
> have had no choice lately, so I went to my system restore and it would
> not restore my files..I picked a few restore points and no luck..My
> google toolbar is gone, my home page changed to MSN page. Anyone have
> any ideas as to what is going on?

Sounds like it's fairly likely that you're infected with malware. What
anti-virus and anti-spyware software do you run? Are they kept up to date?

Ralph

Re: new to this..
....or it could have just been a major Windows update.
Unless you've noticed other, more insidious changes.

It sounds like your IE was reset back to factory specs. This is a good
thing, and beats the heck out of the alternatives.

The first thing a decent technician will do, is clean out toolbars and
startup programs to get your system back to a maintainable state.
As long as you are able to change the home page, and your system is reacting
to your commands, and not doing anything wrong,
I'd say keep an eye on it for changes, and don't worry too much.

Keep your OS happy, (virus and malware scans) and you'll be happy.

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> NOTE:
> Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
> a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
> respective HJT forum.
>
> 5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
> http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
>
> Additional references:
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Read: "What you must know"
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system
> configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

tanaylovesu

Re: new to this..

hey can any1 help wid ma msn messenger i tried to install the new msn
messenger on ma vist 64 ultimate but it dosnt work it dosnt respond.

--
tanaylovesu
silver hair

RE: new to this..
Hi
System Restore never changes my Personal Files, Documents and others
It restores the Computer Settings as it was at the time you picked,
All Programs you downloaded and homepage changes you made are gone
Its just the way it was back then, the time you picked
Some times the System Restore is NOT successful,
if so, try another Restore Point
I'm No expert, just my findings
--
lucky me I guess