Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Defrag Details in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=
 

Posts: n/a
Defrag Details in Vista
Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk fragmentation in
Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full diagnostic
at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a suggestion
that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista that
would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the 10% or
if I need a third party program.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Ghost Rider
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
Jon wrote:
> Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk fragmentation in
> Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full diagnostic
> at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a suggestion
> that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista that
> would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the 10% or
> if I need a third party program.


if you do need another prog, may i suggest,
Auslogics Disk Defrag,
http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/

its free

ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Victoria House [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
"Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:17503BD8-7B5C-41FF-A2DD-531E7125E5EE@microsoft.com...
> Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk fragmentation
> in
> Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full
> diagnostic
> at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a suggestion
> that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista
> that
> would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the 10%
> or
> if I need a third party program.



From an elevated command prompt:
Defrag <vol>: /a /v
Or
Defrag <vol>: /a
(for less verbose output. The statistic you're concerned about, % file
fragmentation, will be in either report).

Defrag should be scheduled to run automatically once per week on Wednesday
night when your computer is idle and not asleep.
See All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter to check your
schedule.

If your computer is never idle+not asleep, you can run defrag manually from
the command prompt (defrag /? for details)

-Victoria


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Mike Hall - MS MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
Victoria

Users are not interested in statistics.. they want bars and little squares
to watch.. it doesn't matter that one would require 4 billion more squares
in the Win 9x family or a 5 mile long bar in XP to portray accurately what
is happening.. just a few thousand will do as long as the user can see
something moving about..


"Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:OTxmFf6dHHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:17503BD8-7B5C-41FF-A2DD-531E7125E5EE@microsoft.com...
>> Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk fragmentation
>> in
>> Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full
>> diagnostic
>> at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a suggestion
>> that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista
>> that
>> would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the
>> 10% or
>> if I need a third party program.

>
>
> From an elevated command prompt:
> Defrag <vol>: /a /v
> Or
> Defrag <vol>: /a
> (for less verbose output. The statistic you're concerned about, % file
> fragmentation, will be in either report).
>
> Defrag should be scheduled to run automatically once per week on Wednesday
> night when your computer is idle and not asleep.
> See All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter to check
> your schedule.
>
> If your computer is never idle+not asleep, you can run defrag manually
> from the command prompt (defrag /? for details)
>
> -Victoria
>
>


--


Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Victoria House [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eRKEGt6dHHA.4340@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Victoria
>
> Users are not interested in statistics.. they want bars and little squares
> to watch.. it doesn't matter that one would require 4 billion more squares
> in the Win 9x family or a 5 mile long bar in XP to portray accurately what
> is happening.. just a few thousand will do as long as the user can see
> something moving about..
>
>
> "Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:OTxmFf6dHHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:17503BD8-7B5C-41FF-A2DD-531E7125E5EE@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk
>>> fragmentation in
>>> Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full
>>> diagnostic
>>> at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a
>>> suggestion
>>> that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista
>>> that
>>> would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the
>>> 10% or
>>> if I need a third party program.

>>
>>
>> From an elevated command prompt:
>> Defrag <vol>: /a /v
>> Or
>> Defrag <vol>: /a
>> (for less verbose output. The statistic you're concerned about, % file
>> fragmentation, will be in either report).
>>
>> Defrag should be scheduled to run automatically once per week on
>> Wednesday night when your computer is idle and not asleep.
>> See All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter to check
>> your schedule.
>>
>> If your computer is never idle+not asleep, you can run defrag manually
>> from the command prompt (defrag /? for details)
>>
>> -Victoria
>>
>>

>
> --
>
>
> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
>
>
>




Ahhh, I see.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
Or a progress bar, or a percentage, anything but a meaningless spinning thingy.


"Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ObD%234K7dHHA.4636@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:eRKEGt6dHHA.4340@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Victoria
>>
>> Users are not interested in statistics.. they want bars and little squares
>> to watch.. it doesn't matter that one would require 4 billion more squares
>> in the Win 9x family or a 5 mile long bar in XP to portray accurately what
>> is happening.. just a few thousand will do as long as the user can see
>> something moving about..
>>
>>
>> "Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:OTxmFf6dHHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:17503BD8-7B5C-41FF-A2DD-531E7125E5EE@microsoft.com...
>>>> Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk
>>>> fragmentation in
>>>> Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full
>>>> diagnostic
>>>> at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a
>>>> suggestion
>>>> that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista
>>>> that
>>>> would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the
>>>> 10% or
>>>> if I need a third party program.
>>>
>>>
>>> From an elevated command prompt:
>>> Defrag <vol>: /a /v
>>> Or
>>> Defrag <vol>: /a
>>> (for less verbose output. The statistic you're concerned about, % file
>>> fragmentation, will be in either report).
>>>
>>> Defrag should be scheduled to run automatically once per week on
>>> Wednesday night when your computer is idle and not asleep.
>>> See All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter to check
>>> your schedule.
>>>
>>> If your computer is never idle+not asleep, you can run defrag manually
>>> from the command prompt (defrag /? for details)
>>>
>>> -Victoria
>>>
>>>

>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
> Ahhh, I see.
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Robert Moir
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
news7ECF0D4-B26B-4EC4-B55B-460A899BA1F6@microsoft.com...
> Or a progress bar, or a percentage, anything but a meaningless spinning
> thingy.


But the way defraggers work just about *anything* except the beginning and
end reports might as well be a "meaningless spinning thingy" for all the
good it does you.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again; if you want to watch
something while your computer is defragmenting then put on a movie or visit
youtube.com or something


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2007
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
I prefer to defrag at the end of the day, and would like to know when, or
approximately when, I can turn the computer off and go to bed.

I was hypnotized by the moving multicolored boxes, but, yes indeed, it
would be nice to know just how badly fragmented the drive is before I
proceeded with defragmenting, and a report of how successful the process
was after completion.

One Care (free with purchase of Vista) gives you a percentage, but it doesn't
tell you which drive, and only after it completes it's whole optimizing routine, can
you see which drives completed. C: ALWAYS fails (too defragmented, will
try again the next time One Care optimization runs).


"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OqKfr48dHHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> news7ECF0D4-B26B-4EC4-B55B-460A899BA1F6@microsoft.com...
>> Or a progress bar, or a percentage, anything but a meaningless spinning
>> thingy.

>
> But the way defraggers work just about *anything* except the beginning and
> end reports might as well be a "meaningless spinning thingy" for all the
> good it does you.
>
> I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again; if you want to watch
> something while your computer is defragmenting then put on a movie or visit
> youtube.com or something
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote
> Or a progress bar, or a percentage, anything but a meaningless spinning
> thingy.


"Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote
>> Victoria
>>
>> Users are not interested in statistics.. they want bars and little
>> squares
>> to watch.. it doesn't matter that one would require 4 billion more
>> squares
>> in the Win 9x family or a 5 mile long bar in XP to portray accurately
>> what
>> is happening.. just a few thousand will do as long as the user can see
>> something moving about..


>> "Victoria House [MSFT]" <vhouse@online.microsoft.com> wrote
>>> "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>>> Hi. I was wondering how I could see the details of my disk
>>>> fragmentation in
>>>> Vista Home Premium. I recently had my computer go through a full
>>>> diagnostic
>>>> at Best Buy and it said that my disk was 26% fragmented with a
>>>> suggestion
>>>> that it stay below 10%. I was wondering if there was anything in Vista
>>>> that
>>>> would allow me to see the percentage so I can defrag to keep under the
>>>> 10% or
>>>> if I need a third party program.


>>> From an elevated command prompt:
>>> Defrag <vol>: /a /v
>>> Or
>>> Defrag <vol>: /a
>>> (for less verbose output. The statistic you're concerned about, % file
>>> fragmentation, will be in either report).
>>>
>>> Defrag should be scheduled to run automatically once per week on
>>> Wednesday night when your computer is idle and not asleep.
>>> See All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter to check
>>> your schedule.
>>>
>>> If your computer is never idle+not asleep, you can run defrag manually
>>> from the command prompt (defrag /? for details)


> Ahhh, I see.


Just set it to run automatically at a time you're not using the system. What
is the big deal?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2007
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Defrag Details in Vista
I have a laptop at home running Vista. When I get home I turn it on and I
use it intermittently until bed, when I turn it off. Last night I think I
heard it defragging while I was watching The Office (a very good episode).
This took me zero effort. And you know what? Even if I turned the computer
off before defrag completed, defrag would've picked up again the next day
while I was in the bathroom, or cooking dinner, or doing laundry. I've never
seen my fragmentation level go above 5% when I've bothered to check it,
which is rare.

Give Vista a chance to do this task while you're doing better things with
your time. Give it a month, see how you like it.

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.


"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
news:CC695484-FA0B-46FC-89A2-06BE5711FE75@microsoft.com...
I prefer to defrag at the end of the day, and would like to know when, or
approximately when, I can turn the computer off and go to bed.

I was hypnotized by the moving multicolored boxes, but, yes indeed, it
would be nice to know just how badly fragmented the drive is before I
proceeded with defragmenting, and a report of how successful the process
was after completion.

One Care (free with purchase of Vista) gives you a percentage, but it
doesn't
tell you which drive, and only after it completes it's whole optimizing
routine, can
you see which drives completed. C: ALWAYS fails (too defragmented, will
try again the next time One Care optimization runs).


"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OqKfr48dHHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> news7ECF0D4-B26B-4EC4-B55B-460A899BA1F6@microsoft.com...
>> Or a progress bar, or a percentage, anything but a meaningless spinning
>> thingy.

>
> But the way defraggers work just about *anything* except the beginning and
> end reports might as well be a "meaningless spinning thingy" for all the
> good it does you.
>
> I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again; if you want to watch
> something while your computer is defragmenting then put on a movie or
> visit
> youtube.com or something
>
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Disk Defragmenter--Chat with Disk Defrag/Vista Teams on Defrag David Fumento microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 13 12-03-2007 03:13
No 'Audio Channels' in Vista Folder Details? =?Utf-8?B?QXVkaW9idWZmMTk2Nw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-03-2007 11:04
Re: No Folder Size in Details Pane or Details View ?! =?Utf-8?B?QW50YWdvbmlzdA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-28-2007 17:53
Re: Defrag - Vista vs. XP tonytwo microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 02-11-2007 05:58
vista and defrag bob h microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 3 02-10-2007 02:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:30.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120