What's changing the archive attributes?

Bill Bonnet

What's changing the archive attributes?

I am becoming frustrated. I have over 800 personal files on my PC, some
of which are updated nearly every day, about 10 on average. Each day I
run an Incremental Backup (Roxio's Backup MyPC). I now find that on some
days most of the files on Drive 'C' have had the "File is ready for
archiving" attribute set 'ON', the letter 'A' is displayed. This means
that my incremental Backup covers over 800 files instead of the usual 10
- takes ages and used a lot of space. The same happens on my LapTop. I
have spent ages trying to find who/what is doing this. Any ideas or
suggestions would be more than welcome.

PS, I'm a new boy (old Man) at all this - so simple terms please.

--
Bill Bonnet
Bill Bonnet

Re: What's changing the archive attributes?

Re my original question regarding file attributes being changed.

I now think the problem may be with the automatic (scheduled) System
Restore that that is set to run daily at 00.00 (only if the computer is
switched on) and again 30 mins after System Startup. This arrangement
comes with Vista, it's not my choice

If I can convince myself that this is the problem, how do I contact
Bill Gates. If any reader has other ideas about this I should be
delighted to read them.

Regards

--
Bill Bonnet
Retroman

Re: Re: What's changing the archive attributes?
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 03:45:09 -0600, Bill Bonnet <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:
>Re my original question regarding file attributes being changed.
>
>I now think the problem may be with the automatic (scheduled) System
>Restore that that is set to run daily at 00.00 (only if the computer is
>switched on) and again 30 mins after System Startup. This arrangement
>comes with Vista, it's not my choice

Bill, you can easily change that in the Task Scheduler. Open the Scheduler and pick
Microsoft/Windows/System Restore from the left pane. In the center pane, right-click
on an undesired task and choose Disable.

Aside from that, backup applications that rely on the archive attribute are
undesirable, for the reason you have found. The better ones maintain their own
database instead. I use Microsoft Synch Toy, and it has no problems with system
restore.

Doug M. in NJ
MilesAhead

Re: What's changing the archive attributes?

If you have backup set to back up every file with the archive bit set,
then you will get every system log, temp file etc. that has been created
or modified since the last backup.

It may be better to do system backups(such that you can restore your
system in case of partition deletion or virus attack or whatever) and
have a separate strategy for backing up data. For example, I have an
external HD and I use FreeCommander to sync folders I want backed up. I
use Paragon Drive Backup to do system backups from which I exclude large
expendable files like video files.

External USB 2.0 drives are relatively cheap these days so it may be
simpler, depending on how your 800 files are dispersed on disk, to do it
semi-manually.

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
Bill Bonnet

Re: What's changing the archive attributes?

Thanks for those 2 suggestions - I have now excluded System Restore from
my list of supects and am now looking for another to take its place. As
a matter of interest regarding backups which I consider to be of the
utmost importance. I use Roxio's Backup MyPC, I've used it for years,
long before if came under Roxio's flag. I run a complete Backup of Drive
'C' to an external HD (yes, they are cheap now. The last one I purchased
holds 320GB costing £49). All my personal files (800 of the little
devils) are held in 1 main folder with sundry sub-folders etc, whenever
I use my PC I run an incremental backup of the Personal Folder to an
external CD writer. When the CD is full I do another full backup
followed by a 2nd CD-RW, this goes on for 5 times then I start at number
1 again. When one is retired there is all the time in the world to do
this sort of thing!

--
Bill Bonnet
MilesAhead

Re: What's changing the archive attributes?

I'm not that familiar with Roxio other than my first CD burner had
Roxio burning software. If you're still using it you probably like it.
Although where your stuff is all under one folder FreeCommander or
other software with 'sync' features may sync it very easily and
quickly. But then if you're not into TV or DVDs maybe you'd be
stuck as to how to pass the time?

--
MilesAhead

"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"
Bill Bonnet

Re: What's changing the archive attributes?

Hello!, Hello! Hello! I think I may have found the culprit -- Norton
360 version 2.
I have been looking back through my records and find the attribute
problem started at the same time as I upgraded to the version 2.
Yesterday I ran the Norton update as usual and -- there it was - gone!
Trouble with Nortons's updates is you have no idea what the update is
updating.

Thanks to all those who gave their ideas - Bye

--
Bill Bonnet