Can't defrag hard drive

fogey

Can't defrag hard drive

I'm new here so hello everyone.
I've done the usual things, searched the forum for relevant threads and
tried to get the info I need.

Here's the problem: A friend, who is not so IT literate, asked me to
tune-up his laptop as it was running slow and crashing. Did the usual
(disk and registry clean up, etc.). Used VISTA defrag (manual) which
was still running after 4 hours. Tried several free defrag progs who
all reported that drive had 16 GB of fragmented files...but none of
them could carry out the defrag operation. Tried the VISTA one
again...which was still running after 6 hours, and there is now 17GB of
fragmented files on his HD!

I'm losing what little hair I have over this! Any suggestions/ideas why
defrag is not doing its job?

Cheers!

--
fogey
Kayman

Re: Can't defrag hard drive
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:53:26 +0000, fogey wrote:

> I'm new here so hello everyone.
> I've done the usual things, searched the forum for relevant threads and
> tried to get the info I need.
>
> Here's the problem: A friend, who is not so IT literate, asked me to
> tune-up his laptop as it was running slow and crashing. Did the usual
> (disk and registry clean up, etc.). Used VISTA defrag (manual) which
> was still running after 4 hours. Tried several free defrag progs who
> all reported that drive had 16 GB of fragmented files...but none of
> them could carry out the defrag operation. Tried the VISTA one
> again...which was still running after 6 hours, and there is now 17GB of
> fragmented files on his HD!
>
> I'm losing what little hair I have over this! Any suggestions/ideas why
> defrag is not doing its job?

Stop the defragging process.
Download/execute:
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

Note:
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners), thus they need to be re-downloaded every
time there's an update.
Re: K/AVPTool; Uninstall after use. To uninstall/move this program "enable
self-defense' must be unchecked!

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.
How do you boot to Safe Mode?
By pressing/tabbing F8 (or F5 on some keyboards) during re-boot.
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Start your computer in safe mode (Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial61.html

Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

Start defragging HDD

Good luck
Richard Urban

Re: Can't defrag hard drive
How much free space is left on the system partition?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"fogey" <fogey.3633f62@vistabanter.com> wrote in message

> I'm new here so hello everyone.
> I've done the usual things, searched the forum for relevant threads and
> tried to get the info I need.
>
> Here's the problem: A friend, who is not so IT literate, asked me to
> tune-up his laptop as it was running slow and crashing. Did the usual
> (disk and registry clean up, etc.). Used VISTA defrag (manual) which
> was still running after 4 hours. Tried several free defrag progs who
> all reported that drive had 16 GB of fragmented files...but none of
> them could carry out the defrag operation. Tried the VISTA one
> again...which was still running after 6 hours, and there is now 17GB of
> fragmented files on his HD!
>
> I'm losing what little hair I have over this! Any suggestions/ideas why
> defrag is not doing its job?
>
> Cheers!
>

> --
> fogey

fogey

Re: Can't defrag hard drive

'Kayman[_5_ Wrote:
> ;748220']
> Start defragging HDD
>
> Good luck

Wow...some list! Thanks Kayman, I'll get right on it.

Cheers!

--
fogey

"Here I am, brain the size of a planet...well, a pea anyway!"