Poor Performance With 4GB Memory

Akumajou

Poor Performance With 4GB Memory

I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and
immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most
noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB
(I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the
limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in
performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels. I'm
aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so
this isn't about that. Additional oddities include PCI Latency Timer (of
all things...) effecting performance and lower memory timings being more
stable than high... What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid
adding a memory limit?

Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit)
Asus P4P800 with BIOS 1021.006
Pentium 4 3.0E at 3.75 (250FSB)
Corsair PC3200 4GB (4x1)
GeForce 7800 GS at 520/725
Audigy 2

--
Akumajou
Rick Rogers

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
Hi,

It's not unusual for some motherboards to experience timing issues with all
memory slots full. It's also possible that the new sticks are not compatible
with the old, or that one of them is faulty. Have you run the memory
diagnostic yet?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Akumajou" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and
> immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most
> noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
> setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB
> (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the
> limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in
> performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels. I'm
> aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so
> this isn't about that. Additional oddities include PCI Latency Timer (of
> all things...) effecting performance and lower memory timings being more
> stable than high... What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid
> adding a memory limit?
>
> Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit)
> Asus P4P800 with BIOS 1021.006
> Pentium 4 3.0E at 3.75 (250FSB)
> Corsair PC3200 4GB (4x1)
> GeForce 7800 GS at 520/725
> Audigy 2
>

> --
> Akumajou

Victek

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
> I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and
> immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most
> noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
> setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB
> (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the
> limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in
> performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels. I'm
> aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so
> this isn't about that. Additional oddities include PCI Latency Timer (of
> all things...) effecting performance and lower memory timings being more
> stable than high... What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid
> adding a memory limit?
>
> Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit)
> Asus P4P800 with BIOS 1021.006
> Pentium 4 3.0E at 3.75 (250FSB)
> Corsair PC3200 4GB (4x1)
> GeForce 7800 GS at 520/725
> Audigy 2
>

> --

You could:
Confirm that the motherboard detects all 4 gigs in the BIOS.
Turn off silent & quick boot options in the BIOS so memory will be tested
during boot up.
Check the Asus website for a BIOS update.
Run the Vista "Windows Experience Index" with 2 gigs, then 4 gigs installed
to see if the OS confirms the problem.
Make sure virtual memory (paging file) is still set to the recommended
amount (it increases when you add ram)

Deet

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:42:16 -0800, "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>> I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and
>> immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most
>> noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
>> setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB
>> (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the
>> limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in
>> performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels. I'm
>> aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so
>> this isn't about that. Additional oddities include PCI Latency Timer (of
>> all things...) effecting performance and lower memory timings being more
>> stable than high... What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid
>> adding a memory limit?
>>
>> Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit)
>> Asus P4P800 with BIOS 1021.006
>> Pentium 4 3.0E at 3.75 (250FSB)
>> Corsair PC3200 4GB (4x1)
>> GeForce 7800 GS at 520/725
>> Audigy 2
>>

>> --

>You could:
>Confirm that the motherboard detects all 4 gigs in the BIOS.
>Turn off silent & quick boot options in the BIOS so memory will be tested
>during boot up.
>Check the Asus website for a BIOS update.
>Run the Vista "Windows Experience Index" with 2 gigs, then 4 gigs installed
>to see if the OS confirms the problem.
>Make sure virtual memory (paging file) is still set to the recommended
>amount (it increases when you add ram)

All very odd tests when one has yet to determine if the memory is any
good or if the mobo would accept it all. You DID notice that the OP's
problems began after installing more memory, right????
gomjabbar

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory

"Deet" <deetritus@garbage.com> kirjoitti viestissń
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:42:16 -0800, "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>> I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and
>>> immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most
>>> noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
>>> setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB
>>> (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the
>>> limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in
>>> performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels. I'm
>>> aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so
>>> this isn't about that. Additional oddities include PCI Latency Timer (of
>>> all things...) effecting performance and lower memory timings being more
>>> stable than high... What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid
>>> adding a memory limit?
>>>
>>> Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit)
>>> Asus P4P800 with BIOS 1021.006
>>> Pentium 4 3.0E at 3.75 (250FSB)
>>> Corsair PC3200 4GB (4x1)
>>> GeForce 7800 GS at 520/725
>>> Audigy 2
>>>

>>> --

>>You could:
>>Confirm that the motherboard detects all 4 gigs in the BIOS.
>>Turn off silent & quick boot options in the BIOS so memory will be tested
>>during boot up.
>>Check the Asus website for a BIOS update.
>>Run the Vista "Windows Experience Index" with 2 gigs, then 4 gigs
>>installed
>>to see if the OS confirms the problem.
>>Make sure virtual memory (paging file) is still set to the recommended
>>amount (it increases when you add ram)

> All very odd tests when one has yet to determine if the memory is any
> good or if the mobo would accept it all. You DID notice that the OP's
> problems began after installing more memory, right????

check your BIOS and see if memory re-mapping is enabled.

Victek

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
>>You could:
>>Confirm that the motherboard detects all 4 gigs in the BIOS.
>>Turn off silent & quick boot options in the BIOS so memory will be tested
>>during boot up.
>>Check the Asus website for a BIOS update.
>>Run the Vista "Windows Experience Index" with 2 gigs, then 4 gigs
>>installed
>>to see if the OS confirms the problem.
>>Make sure virtual memory (paging file) is still set to the recommended
>>amount (it increases when you add ram)

> All very odd tests when one has yet to determine if the memory is any
> good or if the mobo would accept it all. You DID notice that the OP's
> problems began after installing more memory, right????

Not sure why you consider my suggestions "odd". If the mobo detects all
four gigs that's a pretty good indication that the amount is supported.
Even if the correct amount of memory is detected it's a good idea to check
for a BIOS update, and if one is available what issues it addresses.
Turning off the silent and quick boot features in the BIOS often enables and
makes visible the memory test. While I wouldn't consider the mobo ram test
definitive if it failed that would certainly indicate a problem. Assuming
no problem has been detected at the bios level running the Windows
Experience Index test is one way of benchmarking the ram - if done with 2 gb
and then 4 gb it would be clear if the OS is having issues accessing the
extra memory. And last, while I don't think it would be the cause of the
problem it is a fact that the recommended minimum for the page file
increases when ram is added and I think it's a good idea to give the OS what
it wants.

I would be interested to hear how you would address the issue.

Deet

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:25:52 -0600, Deet <deetritus@garbage.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:42:16 -0800, "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>> I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and
>>> immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most
>>> noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
>>> setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB
>>> (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the
>>> limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still resulted in
>>> performance problems...) restored performance to pre-4GB levels. I'm
>>> aware of x86 architecture not being able to utilize 4GB of memory, so
>>> this isn't about that. Additional oddities include PCI Latency Timer (of
>>> all things...) effecting performance and lower memory timings being more
>>> stable than high... What's going on here? Is there any way to avoid
>>> adding a memory limit?
>>>
>>> Windows Vista with SP1 (32-bit)
>>> Asus P4P800 with BIOS 1021.006
>>> Pentium 4 3.0E at 3.75 (250FSB)
>>> Corsair PC3200 4GB (4x1)
>>> GeForce 7800 GS at 520/725
>>> Audigy 2
>>>

>>> --

>>You could:
>>Confirm that the motherboard detects all 4 gigs in the BIOS.
>>Turn off silent & quick boot options in the BIOS so memory will be tested
>>during boot up.
>>Check the Asus website for a BIOS update.
>>Run the Vista "Windows Experience Index" with 2 gigs, then 4 gigs installed
>>to see if the OS confirms the problem.
>>Make sure virtual memory (paging file) is still set to the recommended
>>amount (it increases when you add ram)

>All very odd tests when one has yet to determine if the memory is any
>good or if the mobo would accept it all. You DID notice that the OP's
>problems began after installing more memory, right????

The obvious move, since problems began after the installation of new
RAM sticks, would be to run Vista's Memory Diagnostic tool.

Type "memory" without the quotes in the Start Menu search box and tell
it to run the test on a restart.

If the OP is overclocking, I would also try setting memory/cpu BIOS
settings to the default.

Deet

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:11:28 -0800, "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>I would be interested to hear how you would address the issue.

I answered by replying to my own post (it's way past my bed time).
Akumajou

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory

All 4GB (the 3327MB that 1021.006 BIOS detected anyway) passed
Memtest86+. My CPU is overclocked from 3.0 to 3.75 (250FSB), but I'm
using a 3:2 ratio (250FSB/3:2-DDR400) on the memory so it isn't.

New, related thread:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfor...ry-gaming.html

--
Akumajou
Richie Hardwick

Re: Poor Performance With 4GB Memory
Akumajou <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>All 4GB (the 3327MB that 1021.006 BIOS detected anyway) passed
>Memtest86+. My CPU is overclocked from 3.0 to 3.75 (250FSB), but I'm
>using a 3:2 ratio (250FSB/3:2-DDR400) on the memory so it isn't.

You're a moron. Set everything in your BIOS to default and your
problem will go away.

Richie Hardwick