pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM

Ross Comer

pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM
I am seeing tons of writes to pagefile.sys (60MB/min in Resource Monitor)
even though I think I have memory available. I would expect there to be
minimal or no writes unless I ran out of RAM. Why are there writes? I'm
trying to optimize my system and lots of pagefile.sys writes seems bad.

I have 4GB on a 32-bit Vista system so 3GB is visible. TaskManager shows
2.18GB in use in the meter and graph. However under "Physical Memory (MB)"
it shows 3323 total, 1528 Cached, and 0 Free.

I'm running a Render on Sony Vegas Studio (ie. making a movie) so I'm
definitely doing lots of reads and writes to my movie files. I've tried
source files on both a HD and Intel SSD. While my ultimate goal is to
increase my rendering speed, the pagefile.sys writes are my current
investigation point (already tried 4GB RAM, faster video card, Intel SSD,
etc).
Rick Rogers

Re: pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM
Hi,

Regardless of the amount of installed ram, many programs allot and use pages
of memory. One reason why virtual memory should never be disabled. I suspect
that you'll find that the majority of the paging is due directly to the
software that you're using.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ross Comer" <RossComer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am seeing tons of writes to pagefile.sys (60MB/min in Resource Monitor)
> even though I think I have memory available. I would expect there to be
> minimal or no writes unless I ran out of RAM. Why are there writes? I'm
> trying to optimize my system and lots of pagefile.sys writes seems bad.
>
> I have 4GB on a 32-bit Vista system so 3GB is visible. TaskManager shows
> 2.18GB in use in the meter and graph. However under "Physical Memory
> (MB)"
> it shows 3323 total, 1528 Cached, and 0 Free.
>
> I'm running a Render on Sony Vegas Studio (ie. making a movie) so I'm
> definitely doing lots of reads and writes to my movie files. I've tried
> source files on both a HD and Intel SSD. While my ultimate goal is to
> increase my rendering speed, the pagefile.sys writes are my current
> investigation point (already tried 4GB RAM, faster video card, Intel SSD,
> etc).

Ross Comer

Re: pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM
Thanks for the reply. But wouldn't all RAM be used before paging occurs?
Why does it only show 2.18GB in use and the total memory used by individual
processes be under 3GB?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Regardless of the amount of installed ram, many programs allot and use pages
> of memory. One reason why virtual memory should never be disabled. I suspect
> that you'll find that the majority of the paging is due directly to the
> software that you're using.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ross Comer" <RossComer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am seeing tons of writes to pagefile.sys (60MB/min in Resource Monitor)
> > even though I think I have memory available. I would expect there to be
> > minimal or no writes unless I ran out of RAM. Why are there writes? I'm
> > trying to optimize my system and lots of pagefile.sys writes seems bad.
> >
> > I have 4GB on a 32-bit Vista system so 3GB is visible. TaskManager shows
> > 2.18GB in use in the meter and graph. However under "Physical Memory
> > (MB)"
> > it shows 3323 total, 1528 Cached, and 0 Free.
> >
> > I'm running a Render on Sony Vegas Studio (ie. making a movie) so I'm
> > definitely doing lots of reads and writes to my movie files. I've tried
> > source files on both a HD and Intel SSD. While my ultimate goal is to
> > increase my rendering speed, the pagefile.sys writes are my current
> > investigation point (already tried 4GB RAM, faster video card, Intel SSD,
> > etc).

Rick Rogers

Re: pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM
Hi,

It's in the way the software is written. It will page out data that is not
currently in use, reserving ram for active use. Vista will strive to use all
physical memory first, but it's not unusual for multimedia editing programs
to behave this way.

--

> Thanks for the reply. But wouldn't all RAM be used before paging occurs?
> Why does it only show 2.18GB in use and the total memory used by
> individual
> processes be under 3GB?
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Regardless of the amount of installed ram, many programs allot and use
>> pages
>> of memory. One reason why virtual memory should never be disabled. I
>> suspect
>> that you'll find that the majority of the paging is due directly to the
>> software that you're using.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ross Comer" <RossComer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am seeing tons of writes to pagefile.sys (60MB/min in Resource
>> >Monitor)
>> > even though I think I have memory available. I would expect there to
>> > be
>> > minimal or no writes unless I ran out of RAM. Why are there writes?
>> > I'm
>> > trying to optimize my system and lots of pagefile.sys writes seems bad.
>> >
>> > I have 4GB on a 32-bit Vista system so 3GB is visible. TaskManager
>> > shows
>> > 2.18GB in use in the meter and graph. However under "Physical Memory
>> > (MB)"
>> > it shows 3323 total, 1528 Cached, and 0 Free.
>> >
>> > I'm running a Render on Sony Vegas Studio (ie. making a movie) so I'm
>> > definitely doing lots of reads and writes to my movie files. I've
>> > tried
>> > source files on both a HD and Intel SSD. While my ultimate goal is to
>> > increase my rendering speed, the pagefile.sys writes are my current
>> > investigation point (already tried 4GB RAM, faster video card, Intel
>> > SSD,
>> > etc).

Steve Thackery

Re: pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM
> It's in the way the software is written. It will page out data that is not
> currently in use, reserving ram for active use. Vista will strive to use
> all physical memory first, but it's not unusual for multimedia editing
> programs to behave this way.

Is this right? I didn't think an individual application has any control
over the memory management - i.e. what gets paged out to disk, what stays in
RAM. I thought all that was in the control of the OS.

I thought an application just tries to read or write to memory, and - it
it's not already loaded into RAM - the OS gets it from the pagefile. If
that area of RAM has not been accessed for a while, and another application
needs some RAM, the OS writes it out to the pagefile.

In other words, the application itself can't decide what goes to the
pagefile and what doesn't.

I'm no expert at all in this area, so if you could elucidate that would be
great!

SteveT

Rick Rogers

Re: pagefile.sys writes with plenty of RAM
Hi Steve,

Applications can specifically request pages, most do so through allocation
at initialization, but they remain under the control of the OS. My
explanation there isn't all that clear.