computer can't enter sleep

Don

computer can't enter sleep
Hi,
I just reinstalled Vista with all the latest updates. After the reinstall,
my computer can no longer manually or automatically enter sleep mode. I've
narrowed it down to two service that once diabled allow my computer to enter
sleep. These are Terminal Services and UPnP Device Host. Both need to be
disabled for my computer to be able to enter sleep. Otherwise, the only
thing that happens when I push the sleep button is the screen blanking and
harddrive access. Is there any way to fix this?
Thanks.

nanogopi

Re: computer can't enter sleep

Have you checked the power plan settings in the control panel..?

--
nanogopi
Brink

Re: computer can't enter sleep

Hello Don,

This tutorial may be able to help some. I would check your network
device settings to see if it allowed to wake up the device to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Don

Re: computer can't enter sleep
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at the tutorial and have checked
power management settings for my network cards. I was able to start the UPnP
service and my computer can now sleep. I'm not sure what's going on with
that. I think whether or not a particular service was affecting the ability
to manually enter sleep was contextual or based on which other services were
disabled or enabled.

Basically, to solve the problem of not being able to enter sleep I first
used msconfig to disable startup items and services. I was able to re-enable
startup items and still enter sleep. Then I enabled services in blocks of
ten or so services. Both UPnP and Terminal Services were in the same block
of ten. I then started singularly enabling services in this last group. Both
UPnP and Terminal Services prevented sleep mode when adjacent services were
disabled. I was able to enable every last service except these two. At that
point, enabling UPnP no longer caused a problem (i.e. it only was a problem
with various other services disabled). I haven't re-enabled Terminal
Services yet so maybe that will work now. If I can re-enable this last
service, the net result will be that I haven't done anything to my computer.
Perhaps disabling and re-enabling various services altered the startup type
(e.g. delayed startup) and something along those lines corrected the
problem. Anyway, a pain in the a** but problem appears to be solved. And
after entering sleep, my computer will even automatically hybernate after
prolonged inactivity. Never had that working before.

It would be nice for MS to engineer an applet that can diagnose power
management problems given how pervasive they are for everyone.

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello Don,
>
> This tutorial may be able to help some. I would check your network
> device settings to see if it allowed to wake up the device to.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> Don;883485 Wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just reinstalled Vista with all the latest updates. After the
>> reinstall,
>> my computer can no longer manually or automatically enter sleep mode.
>> I've
>> narrowed it down to two service that once diabled allow my computer to
>> enter
>> sleep. These are Terminal Services and UPnP Device Host. Both need to
>> be
>> disabled for my computer to be able to enter sleep. Otherwise, the only
>> thing that happens when I push the sleep button is the screen blanking
>> and
>> harddrive access. Is there any way to fix this?
>> Thanks.

> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)

Michael Walraven

Re: computer can't enter sleep
You might get some clues by using 'event viewer'
(under administrative tools).

A place to look is in Windows Logs/System
Source ' Power-Troubleshooter' , event ID 1 may provide some help
as well as Source 'Kernel-Power'

also if you select top level Event Views you get an overview of possible
relevant items (along with a LOT of non-relevant stuff).

Michael

"Don" <donwalthers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> Hi,
>>> I just reinstalled Vista with all the latest updates. After the
>>> reinstall,
>>> my computer can no longer manually or automatically enter sleep mode.
>>> I've
>>> narrowed it down to two service that once diabled allow my computer to
>>> enter
>>> sleep. These are Terminal Services and UPnP Device Host. Both need to
>>> be
>>> disabled for my computer to be able to enter sleep. Otherwise, the only
>>> thing that happens when I push the sleep button is the screen blanking
>>> and
>>> harddrive access. Is there any way to fix this?
>>> Thanks.

>> --
>> Brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask

Thanks,
The only entries listed during the course of diagnosing the problem simply
state that the computer is entering or resuming from sleep. There is nothing
in regards to errors about entering sleep. But before I starting diagnosing
the problem, the Kernel Power entries indicated that the computer was
entering Away mode (not Sleep mode). I did not enable Away mode when setting
up Media Center. That is likely the cause of the problem however.

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> You might get some clues by using 'event viewer'
> (under administrative tools).
>
> A place to look is in Windows Logs/System
> Source ' Power-Troubleshooter' , event ID 1 may provide some help
> as well as Source 'Kernel-Power'
>

> also if you select top level Event Views you get an overview of possible
> relevant items (along with a LOT of non-relevant stuff).
>

> Michael
>
> "Don" <donwalthers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked at the tutorial and have checked
>> power management settings for my network cards. I was able to start the
>> UPnP service and my computer can now sleep. I'm not sure what's going on
>> with that. I think whether or not a particular service was affecting the
>> ability to manually enter sleep was contextual or based on which other
>> services were disabled or enabled.
>>
>> Basically, to solve the problem of not being able to enter sleep I first
>> used msconfig to disable startup items and services. I was able to
>> re-enable startup items and still enter sleep. Then I enabled services in
>> blocks of ten or so services. Both UPnP and Terminal Services were in the
>> same block of ten. I then started singularly enabling services in this
>> last group. Both UPnP and Terminal Services prevented sleep mode when
>> adjacent services were disabled. I was able to enable every last service
>> except these two. At that point, enabling UPnP no longer caused a problem
>> (i.e. it only was a problem with various other services disabled). I
>> haven't re-enabled Terminal Services yet so maybe that will work now. If
>> I can re-enable this last service, the net result will be that I haven't
>> done anything to my computer. Perhaps disabling and re-enabling various
>> services altered the startup type (e.g. delayed startup) and something
>> along those lines corrected the problem. Anyway, a pain in the a** but
>> problem appears to be solved. And after entering sleep, my computer will
>> even automatically hybernate after prolonged inactivity. Never had that
>> working before.
>>
>> It would be nice for MS to engineer an applet that can diagnose power
>> management problems given how pervasive they are for everyone.
>>

>> "Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hello Don,
>>>
>>> This tutorial may be able to help some. I would check your network
>>> device settings to see if it allowed to wake up the device to.
>>>
>>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Shawn

>>> --
>>> Brink
>>>
>>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
>>> them.*
>>> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
>>> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
>>> (http://www.vistax64.com)
>>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

Don

Re: computer can't enter sleep
And disabling away mode solved all my problems:

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_SLEEP
25dfa149-5dd1-4736-b5ab-e8a37b5b8187 0

powercfg -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

What a pain in the a** that MS doesn't include an easy way to revert back to
sleep mode from away mode in the power settings or even simply to tell you
that away mode has replaced sleep mode on one's system. Typical.

Brink

Re: computer can't enter sleep

Don,

I'm happy to hear that you got it sorted out. Thank you for posting
back your results.

Shawn

Don;885825 Wrote:
> And disabling away mode solved all my problems:
>
> powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_SLEEP
> 25dfa149-5dd1-4736-b5ab-e8a37b5b8187 0
>
> powercfg -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT
>
> What a pain in the a** that MS doesn't include an easy way to revert
> back to
> sleep mode from away mode in the power settings or even simply to tell
> you
> that away mode has replaced sleep mode on one's system. Typical.

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Zutts

Re: computer can't enter sleep

Don,

I seem to be having the same problem you had. Was just wondering how
you managed to disable Away Mode in vista. Every time I want to put my
notebook to sleep while the AC cable is connected it managed to go to
Away Mode instead of Sleep Mode.

Zutts

--
Zutts