Sleep/Shutdown/Crash

=?Utf-8?B?YXRpdmFy?=

Sleep/Shutdown/Crash
Having reviewed all the posts in the Performance/Maintenance section, where I
think this should be discussed, I'm posting this one.

1. Vista Home Premium
2. Logitech cordless LX710 keyboard&mouse
3. INTEL Core 2 Duo motherboard

PROBLEM: I use the sleep key on the keyboard. Effectively puts system to
sleep. However, about every 8th time I do this, when I use the ESC key to
bring the system back on line: No response from the system, the HP vs15
monitor flicks on then goes "Sleep" again, and I'm stuck having to hold in
the power key and restart.

If I use the SLEEP mode from the START mode in VISTA itself, this problem
happens apx 1 in 15.

It is very annoying, but so far, is not harmful to any programs I have
installed. I am using GRISOFT AVG anti-virus, SPYBOT and AD-AWARE SE as
protection programs, and the system is routed thru a CISCO Ethernet router.
This runs a home network that is exclusively cable. I have XP Home on the
other systems in the network, and they are not effected.

More info available if this is not enough. Does anyone have any ideas?

Red Merchant

=?Utf-8?B?YmRzLXZpc3Rh?=

RE: Sleep/Shutdown/Crash
Red Merchant/ativar -

I am having the same problem. I also use a Logitech keyboard (cordless,
intel motherboard and core2duo with vista home premium. Interestingly, I
also have been using Grisoft's AVG.

My crashes coming out of sleep are also completely random. I can't
reproduce the problem consistently. I have installed several MSFT hotfixes,
but to no avail. My latest attempt has been to replace AVG with Avast
anti-virus, we'll see if it keeps happening.

I am interested to find out how you get your problem fixed...I'll let you
know if something works for me!

"ativar" wrote:

> Having reviewed all the posts in the Performance/Maintenance section, where I
> think this should be discussed, I'm posting this one.
>
> 1. Vista Home Premium
> 2. Logitech cordless LX710 keyboard&mouse
> 3. INTEL Core 2 Duo motherboard
>
> PROBLEM: I use the sleep key on the keyboard. Effectively puts system to
> sleep. However, about every 8th time I do this, when I use the ESC key to
> bring the system back on line: No response from the system, the HP vs15
> monitor flicks on then goes "Sleep" again, and I'm stuck having to hold in
> the power key and restart.
>
> If I use the SLEEP mode from the START mode in VISTA itself, this problem
> happens apx 1 in 15.
>
> It is very annoying, but so far, is not harmful to any programs I have
> installed. I am using GRISOFT AVG anti-virus, SPYBOT and AD-AWARE SE as
> protection programs, and the system is routed thru a CISCO Ethernet router.
> This runs a home network that is exclusively cable. I have XP Home on the
> other systems in the network, and they are not effected.
>
> More info available if this is not enough. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Red Merchant

=?Utf-8?B?YXRpdmFy?=

RE: Sleep/Shutdown/Crash
If I get it fixed, I'll let you and anyone else who reads this, know.
Unfortunately, I have been experiencing this problem even before I install
Gri, I was using the MS firewall and virus program at that time. I have no
explanation for the phenomenon.

Red

"bds-vista" wrote:

> Red Merchant/ativar -
>
> I am having the same problem. I also use a Logitech keyboard (cordless,
> intel motherboard and core2duo with vista home premium. Interestingly, I
> also have been using Grisoft's AVG.
>
> My crashes coming out of sleep are also completely random. I can't
> reproduce the problem consistently. I have installed several MSFT hotfixes,
> but to no avail. My latest attempt has been to replace AVG with Avast
> anti-virus, we'll see if it keeps happening.
>
> I am interested to find out how you get your problem fixed...I'll let you
> know if something works for me!
>
> "ativar" wrote:
>
> > Having reviewed all the posts in the Performance/Maintenance section, where I
> > think this should be discussed, I'm posting this one.
> >
> > 1. Vista Home Premium
> > 2. Logitech cordless LX710 keyboard&mouse
> > 3. INTEL Core 2 Duo motherboard
> >
> > PROBLEM: I use the sleep key on the keyboard. Effectively puts system to
> > sleep. However, about every 8th time I do this, when I use the ESC key to
> > bring the system back on line: No response from the system, the HP vs15
> > monitor flicks on then goes "Sleep" again, and I'm stuck having to hold in
> > the power key and restart.
> >
> > If I use the SLEEP mode from the START mode in VISTA itself, this problem
> > happens apx 1 in 15.
> >
> > It is very annoying, but so far, is not harmful to any programs I have
> > installed. I am using GRISOFT AVG anti-virus, SPYBOT and AD-AWARE SE as
> > protection programs, and the system is routed thru a CISCO Ethernet router.
> > This runs a home network that is exclusively cable. I have XP Home on the
> > other systems in the network, and they are not effected.
> >
> > More info available if this is not enough. Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Red Merchant

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

RE: Sleep/Shutdown/Crash
I am not seeing a crash, but with my logitech cordless duo system( MX700
mouse + keyboard) I cannot use my mouse/keyboard after resuming from sleep
mode. The pc goes to sleep, wakes up shortly after and then the mouse and
keyboard will not respond.

"ativar" wrote:

> If I get it fixed, I'll let you and anyone else who reads this, know.
> Unfortunately, I have been experiencing this problem even before I install
> Gri, I was using the MS firewall and virus program at that time. I have no
> explanation for the phenomenon.
>
> Red
>

> "bds-vista" wrote:
>
> > Red Merchant/ativar -
> >
> > I am having the same problem. I also use a Logitech keyboard (cordless,
> > intel motherboard and core2duo with vista home premium. Interestingly, I
> > also have been using Grisoft's AVG.
> >
> > My crashes coming out of sleep are also completely random. I can't
> > reproduce the problem consistently. I have installed several MSFT hotfixes,
> > but to no avail. My latest attempt has been to replace AVG with Avast
> > anti-virus, we'll see if it keeps happening.
> >
> > I am interested to find out how you get your problem fixed...I'll let you
> > know if something works for me!
> >
> > "ativar" wrote:
> >
> > > Having reviewed all the posts in the Performance/Maintenance section, where I
> > > think this should be discussed, I'm posting this one.
> > >
> > > 1. Vista Home Premium
> > > 2. Logitech cordless LX710 keyboard&mouse
> > > 3. INTEL Core 2 Duo motherboard
> > >
> > > PROBLEM: I use the sleep key on the keyboard. Effectively puts system to
> > > sleep. However, about every 8th time I do this, when I use the ESC key to
> > > bring the system back on line: No response from the system, the HP vs15
> > > monitor flicks on then goes "Sleep" again, and I'm stuck having to hold in
> > > the power key and restart.
> > >
> > > If I use the SLEEP mode from the START mode in VISTA itself, this problem
> > > happens apx 1 in 15.
> > >
> > > It is very annoying, but so far, is not harmful to any programs I have
> > > installed. I am using GRISOFT AVG anti-virus, SPYBOT and AD-AWARE SE as
> > > protection programs, and the system is routed thru a CISCO Ethernet router.
> > > This runs a home network that is exclusively cable. I have XP Home on the
> > > other systems in the network, and they are not effected.
> > >
> > > More info available if this is not enough. Does anyone have any ideas?
> > >
> > > Red Merchant

almighty_hp_guy

Re: Sleep/Shutdown/Crash

Hi Gentlemen, I was just looking around and I found this thread, and I
think that I have a possible solution for this issue.

First of all, I think that SW is not related at 100% but let's try the
following.

1.- Click 'Start' (or the blue sphere).
2.- right click on 'Computer' and select 'properties'. (a new window
will appear).
3.- Select 'Device manager' on the (left hand side) 'task' menu.
4.- Once you are inside 'device manager' find the correct root related
to 'keyboards' and 'mice and other pointing devices' and click on the
'+' in order to show all the devices inside.
5.- Once you found the correct devices just 'double click' the item or
right click it and select 'properties'.
6.- Go to the ┤power managment' tab and check the box that says "Allow
this device to wake the computer" and if you can, uncheck the box that
says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
7.- Once you work around on this just click "OK" and close the "device
manager".

Try to sleep your computer and to wake it up using the keyboard or
mouse, in case your computer shows you an error message you may try to
diagnose if it's a SW issue by working in "Safe Mode"; but it will also
be a problem related to the Operating System Interruption Request's.

I hope this information help you guys to solve the proble with your
computers.

--
almighty_hp_guy
almighty_hp_guy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27027

http://forums.techarena.in

KB10

Re: Sleep/Shutdown/Crash
Thanks. I shall try that if I ever get my PC to wake up.
Weeks ago, it used to go to sleep but responded to mouse or keyboard. Last
week it stopped responding to my USB keyboard and mouse. I went out and
bought an old style wired keyboard and mouse and all was well for a white. I
did ask windows Vista to turn of all power safe features. Now my PC has gone
to sleep again and will not respond to wired keyboard or mouse or to many
attempts to re-start by turning off the mains. My screen says "in power safe
mode. Press key or move mouse."
I have tried starting with hard drives disconnected and then re-connected
but the PC sleeps on. I am worried that it may be like Sleeping Beauty and
have a very long snooze.
Any ideas on how to wake it would be greatfully received.