registry cleaner for 64 bit

Mister Scary

registry cleaner for 64 bit
Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry. When I upgrade to
Vista it will be to make the leap to 64 bit. But I will not do so if what I
consider essential software does not exist to support the operating system.

Gary Goldblum

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit

Hi Mister Scary-
No reason to get angry.
Ccleaner will work for 32 and 64 bit, and it's free!
www.ccleaner.com

--
Gary Goldblum
Gary Goldblum's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gary-goldblum.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Thackery

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit
Most experts would say that registry cleaners are entirely unnecessary, and
often harmful.

SteveT

Ralph

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit
not only experts.
Having worked in tech support for two major companies, I suggest only one
use for so-called programs.
They *might* help stabilize a system for a short time, while recovering from
serious problems, before a complete OS installation.
(which would also remove the offending "cleaner", which should not be
re-installed)

The risk of damage to a critical OS tool is far greater than savings of a
few bytes in the registry.
Although many techs still use them, the company policy even 7 years ago, was
to never use these things.
I've had many a disagreement with all sorts of company policies, management,
and authority in general.
This one, from both direct and indirect experience, I agree with.

"Steve Thackery" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Most experts would say that registry cleaners are entirely unnecessary,
> and often harmful.
>
> SteveT

Rick Rogers

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit
It's more essential that you not use any registry cleaner - they are
probably the number one cause of problems in Windows machines. They
frequently misidentify and remove essential entries, later leaving the user
clueless as to why something isn't working.

The only time one should use a tool of this type is when it is specific to
removing the remnants of a program and is provided by the software vendor.
Never, ever use a general registry cleaning tool - period.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry. When I upgrade to
> Vista it will be to make the leap to 64 bit. But I will not do so if what
> I consider essential software does not exist to support the operating
> system.

Bruce Chambers

Mister Scary wrote:
> Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry. When I upgrade to
> Vista it will be to make the leap to 64 bit. But I will not do so if
> what I consider essential software does not exist to support the
> operating system.

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

A little further reading on the subject:

Why I don't use registry cleaners
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

AumHa Forums • View topic - AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry
Cleaner?
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Victek

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit
> Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry. When I upgrade to
> Vista it will be to make the leap to 64 bit. But I will not do so if what
> I consider essential software does not exist to support the operating
> system.

Why do you feel a registry cleaner is essential?

usasma

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit
IMO the only registry cleaner that's worth using is one that makes you choose
each and every item to "clean" - if it automates the process there's a chance
of error. And I've experienced my share of errors with them - that's why I
don't use or recommend them to anyone.

- John

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> It's more essential that you not use any registry cleaner - they are
> probably the number one cause of problems in Windows machines. They
> frequently misidentify and remove essential entries, later leaving the user
> clueless as to why something isn't working.
>
> The only time one should use a tool of this type is when it is specific to
> removing the remnants of a program and is provided by the software vendor.
> Never, ever use a general registry cleaning tool - period.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry. When I upgrade to
> > Vista it will be to make the leap to 64 bit. But I will not do so if what
> > I consider essential software does not exist to support the operating
> > system.

John Barnett MVP

Re: registry cleaner for 64 bit
You don't need a registry cleaner; in fact registry cleaners cause more
problems than they actually cure. I don't use a registry cleaner and haven't
done so since Windows XP. My philosophy is 'if you can't edit the registry
manually, then leave well alone.'

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry. When I upgrade to
> Vista it will be to make the leap to 64 bit. But I will not do so if what
> I consider essential software does not exist to support the operating
> system.

Robert Moir

Mister Scary wrote:
> Such software does not exist, and it makes me angry.

Why would a lack of harmful software make you angry? For most people, it's
the other way around.