Odd list of unused file extensions

kmichaelf

Odd list of unused file extensions
Running CCleaner on the registry it picked up a series of unused file
extensions. I understand that these can be left over from uninstalled
programs. But this list looked off because it appears to be portions of a
text section. For example:
Unused File Extension # HKCR\#
Unused File Extension 5469 HKCR\5469
Unused File Extension added HKCR\added
Unused File Extension after HKCR\after
Unused File Extension also HKCR\also
Unused File Extension an HKCR\an
Unused File Extension and HKCR\and
Unused File Extension are HKCR\are
Unused File Extension be HKCR\be
Unused File Extension better HKCR\better
Unused File Extension but HKCR\but
Unused File Extension by HKCR\by
Unused File Extension change HKCR\change
Unused File Extension changed HKCR\changed
Unused File Extension coordination HKCR\coordination
Unused File Extension DefaultIcon HKCR\DefaultIcon
Unused File Extension extension HKCR\extension
Unused File Extension far HKCR\far
Unused File Extension file. HKCR\file.
Unused File Extension following HKCR\following
Unused File Extension for HKCR\for
Unused File Extension future HKCR\future
Unused File Extension help HKCR\help
Unused File Extension HPSender.HPSDPError.4= HKCR\HPSender.HPSDPError.4=
Unused File Extension idl HKCR\idl
Unused File Extension in HKCR\in
Unused File Extension install HKCR\install
Unused File Extension installer. HKCR\installer.
Unused File Extension invasive HKCR\invasive
Unused File Extension keywords HKCR\keywords
Unused File Extension leaves HKCR\leaves
Unused File Extension lines HKCR\lines
Unused File Extension Minimally HKCR\Minimally
Unused File Extension more HKCR\more
Unused File Extension must HKCR\must
Unused File Extension Note HKCR\Note
Unused File Extension NOTE: HKCR\NOTE:
Unused File Extension of HKCR\of
Unused File Extension OISbmpfile HKCR\OISbmpfile
Unused File Extension OISemffile HKCR\OISemffile
Unused File Extension OISgiffile HKCR\OISgiffile
Unused File Extension OISjpegfile HKCR\OISjpegfile
Unused File Extension OISpngfile HKCR\OISpngfile
Unused File Extension OIStiffile HKCR\OIStiffile
Unused File Extension OISwmffile HKCR\OISwmffile
Unused File Extension one HKCR\one
Unused File Extension probably HKCR\probably
Unused File Extension problem HKCR\problem
Unused File Extension PROGID's, HKCR\PROGID's,
Unused File Extension R6 HKCR\R6
Unused File Extension R7 HKCR\R7
Unused File Extension R7, HKCR\R7,
Unused File Extension releases. HKCR\releases.
Unused File Extension require HKCR\require
Unused File Extension s HKCR\s
Unused File Extension should HKCR\should
Unused File Extension so HKCR\so
Unused File Extension solve HKCR\solve
Unused File Extension specific HKCR\specific
Unused File Extension that HKCR\that
Unused File Extension the HKCR\the
Unused File Extension There HKCR\There
Unused File Extension this HKCR\this
Unused File Extension thumbsup HKCR\thumbsup
Unused File Extension to HKCR\to
Unused File Extension TT HKCR\TT
Unused File Extension unaffected. HKCR\unaffected.
Unused File Extension uninstall HKCR\uninstall
Unused File Extension using HKCR\using
Unused File Extension version HKCR\version
Unused File Extension ways HKCR\ways
Unused File Extension with HKCR\with
Unused File Extension would HKCR\would

A few of the entries may be permissions issues (IOSbmpfile, for example).
But the rests look more like dropping text into the registry.

Thank you for any help understanding this.
kmf

System Info:
Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 5.9 5.3
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.4
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 5.5
Gaming graphics 2303 MB Total available graphics memory 5.3
Primary hard disk 632GB Free (689GB Total) 5.9
Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

System

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model KJ376AA-ABA m8430f
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 1164 GB
Disk partition (C 632 GB Free (689 GB Total)
Disk partition (D 1 GB Free (10 GB Total)
Media drive (E CD/DVD
Disk partition (J 363 GB Free (466 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Total available graphics memory 2303 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.6960
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Network Adapter USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor
Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport

Louie

Re: Odd list of unused file extensions
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:10:01 -0800, kmichaelf
<kmichaelf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Running CCleaner on the registry it picked up a series of unused file
>extensions. I understand that these can be left over from uninstalled
>programs. But this list looked off because it appears to be portions of a
>text section. For example:

[snip of a long list]

I assume you are looking for someone to tell you that it's safe to
delete all that stuff.

It is. CCleaner is VERY unaggressive, and what it removes is such
simple stuff that it hardly makes sense to even trouble yourself
taking the time to delete it.

Besides, it saves all the info it deletes so that it can be easily
restored if a problem arises.

Which it won't.
kmichaelf

Re: Odd list of unused file extensions
Louie,
thank you for the reassurance. That was most of what I was looking for, but
am also looking for a root cause. I have had performance issues (slow
response and loading times, boot times, etc, that go away on cleaning.) The
performance improved dramatically after HiJack cleaning and CCleaner. It has
since that point (5 days ago) started to slow, so I repeated the process and
among other items found these. Have also done scans with Defender and ESET
NOD32, which found nothing. What intrigued me about these extensions was how
could they come about, and is one of the programs I am running putting in
improper registry values. Some I am looking for a root cause, if anyone
recognizes what might be going on.
kmf

"Louie" wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:10:01 -0800, kmichaelf
> <kmichaelf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Running CCleaner on the registry it picked up a series of unused file
> >extensions. I understand that these can be left over from uninstalled
> >programs. But this list looked off because it appears to be portions of a
> >text section. For example:

> [snip of a long list]
>
> I assume you are looking for someone to tell you that it's safe to
> delete all that stuff.
>
> It is. CCleaner is VERY unaggressive, and what it removes is such
> simple stuff that it hardly makes sense to even trouble yourself
> taking the time to delete it.
>
> Besides, it saves all the info it deletes so that it can be easily
> restored if a problem arises.
>
> Which it won't.

Louie

Re: Odd list of unused file extensions
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:04:01 -0800, kmichaelf
<kmichaelf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Louie,
>thank you for the reassurance. That was most of what I was looking for, but
>am also looking for a root cause. I have had performance issues (slow
>response and loading times, boot times, etc, that go away on cleaning.) The
>performance improved dramatically after HiJack cleaning and CCleaner.

I sincerely doubt that any "cleaning" of the registry using CCleaner
would result in a noticeable performance boost. In FACT... I defy
anyone to show that using ANY "registry cleaner" noticeably effects
system speed. It may have back in the old 486 days, but not today.

HiJack probably made the difference, which should show that you had a
malware infestation. You would do well to download and run
Malwarebytes, and at least one other malware scanner/remover... like
maybe Spybot Search and Destroy.